View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 03:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Bazinga
Dark Force Defense League

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casanova_ View Post
I'm not going to spoiler my response, since we're out of the spoiler zone. It sounds like your mind is FULL of interesting visualizations. I want to visit there! For me, Blackcliff is just dark and foreboding and castle-y. Like Dark Hogwarts with no magic.

I have trouble remembering the masks until someone mentions them, so I often tried to picture characters and then would have to mentally edit the mask in when it came up. It'll stick eventually!

I read this book without even reading the synopsis, so I didn't have any expectation about where the plot was going. There were a few times where I thought I knew what was going to happen next and then was pleasantly surprised that I had no clue what was happening when it happened. I sort of think fantasy novels play to common themes and can be predictable... perhaps people found this one predictable too, but I didn't!

I found myself wanting to shake Laia and make her stop doubting she could do things and just DO them, but we see so many strong female characters who know they are strong and act completely foolhardy. It's nice to see a character who shows courage even when it's hard.

You have a lot of feelings about the characters, Ali. I think that's a mark of a good book. I can't wait to find out more about Cook's story. Personally, I kept trying to guess who she was, as if they had provided clues along the way, but she didn't end up having a mysterious reveal in this book. Maybe she never will (disappointing!).

The end of this book leads me to believe we won't see a lot of these characters again. I hate plot threads left unresolved!
I think you are right on some, but I do think we will have to see Marcus, Mazan, and the Commandant. Those three at least are very tied to the outcome of the different groups that I think we will see them by the third book.