View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lissy Longbottom
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

1. Cleopatra's Shadows (Fall of Egypt #1) by Emily Holleman
Rating: Sa16+
Genre: Historical Fiction

I'm a huge history buff, and I'm especially interested in royal families throughout history and that includes Cleopatra and her Macedonian lineage. I loved this book because it was a story of Cleopatra's sisters - Arsinoe and Berenice. It's a side of history you don't often see explored. The author did a pretty solid job of using what little information we have on these figures and creating relatable characters around them. It was fast moving, too, AND there is a sequel. The ending, of course, is a bit predictable because - duh, history. But I hope this author continues to explore the story of Cleopatra and her reign over Egypt from the viewpoint of the supporting characters!
2. Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
Rating: Sa13+
Genre: Comedy

Ok so, you're probably wondering why I'm recommending a Shakespeare play. Well, in addition to being the FIRST Shakespeare play I was introduced to, I truly believe this is one of his best works to start with if you have never read Shakespeare before. The plot is relatively easy to follow, and it's one of his comedies - a much lighter play compared to his dramas, for obvious reasons. I remember seeing this play as a freshman in high school and being amazed that I could follow it all - and it was actually funny! It's a nice quick read too, and a great introduction to his works. It's one of my go-to feel good movies as well! (The Kenneth Branagh version, obviously).
3. Circe by Madeline Miller
Rating: Sa16+
Genre: Historical Fiction/Greek Mythology

I have been wanting to read this book for literally over a YEAR but also wanted to wait for it to come out on paperback because...I dunno. I saw the hardcover and thought it was too big lol. Anyways, I LOVED this book so much. It follows the story of the mythological witch Circe, and is of course tied to all sorts of stories in Greek mythology. I thought it was a unique idea to follow a character who doesn't really get a whole lot of development in stories that she DOES traditionally appear in, and the ending literally made me GASP out loud. If you're familiar with Greek mythology you can probably guess much of what happens, but it really does suck you in and I can't wait to read her other book The Song of Achilles.

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid

Last edited by Lissy Longbottom; 07-27-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Lissy Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote