View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
BanaBatGirl
Dark Force Defense League

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Dumbledore's Defense Squad | BHB

I just checked the e-book out on my Libby app! I'm excited to read it, especially after reading this excellent backstory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
I am so excited we're reading this book! I love it so much, and I'd love to have a watch party at the end of the month and watch the movie together on Netflix because it is extremely well done.

Ironically (coincidentally?), there was an article about this book in a back issue of my university alumni magazine that I found over the weekend. The author was an alumni at the same school that I went to, and I thought the article was really interesting. Mary Ann Shaffer visited Guernsey and was so taken by the place and their history during WWII, that this story just percolated in her for years and years. Her friends finally told her to WRITE IT DOWN or stop talking about it, so she did. EVERY SINGLE publishing house that Shaffer sent the story to accepted it. Sadly, she died before the book was finally published, and the co-author listed on the book was brought in to do the edits and re-writes necessary for publication.

TL;DR - we all have a story in us, and I hope you all get to share yours someday. Also this book is super.
Wow, Ern-la, even though your alma mater and my alma mater are sworn enemies, I believe, I love this story! I never knew this! That is true coincidence. I'm even more inspired now to start working on my lifelong dream of actually becoming a published author!

Also, I'm totally down for a watch party. I watched this once when it was new to Netflix, so I'm eager to see how it compares after I read the book. I know, I know, I can't believe I watched the movie before reading the book. It happens.

Update: I'm a third of the way into the novel and while I love letters, I'm just wondering if the entire book is epistolary?

yeah, there's one thing about me that you should know________________________________

__________________________________________that I can't help from speaking my mind

Last edited by BanaBatGirl; 01-03-2020 at 06:28 PM.
BanaBatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote