Thread: Owl Post Office
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Magical Soul
Ministry

DERP & DoM
Kappa

Mysteries
x6
Dalliesa | Ab-Bot | Hogwarts Trojan War |

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
Thanks a lot, pirate man, for putting the idea into Dunk's head that he now needed an owl. "That's true. Owls are more like... working pets," he tried to explain, also attempting to think of a way to talk his kid out of wanting one. He glanced at the post office employee and gave him a subtle shake of the head. C'mon man, work with him here. "Owls also..." Also, also, also what?? "They poop a lot," Fletcher decided, starting to work on the next letter, envelope, and wax. He passed the hot envelope to his son. "You'd have to clean up ALL the owl poop, and all the feathers they shed, and all the dead mice they bring you...."

That's right, hadn't his kid just wanted a rat? "They totally eat rats, by the way." Now Fletcher spared a glance for the owl itself. It wasn't going to like, peck him, was it? He mouthed a silent SORRY its way just in case, right over Dunk's head so he wouldn't see. The Fletchers simply didn't need another owl; their building had plenty of free ones to borrow. Plus he LIKED having an excuse to get out of the house and come to the post office. Having a family owl would take that joy away.

A pygmy puff was a much more suitable choice for Lil Dunk. "Yep, a yellow one." Right, it didn't match him at all, ha bloody ha. "I was a Hufflepuff, you see." Fletcher passed him his last letter to seal. "Hufflepuffs like gold things and their house colors are yellow and black. And yellow is like gold, the color of money." Dunk knew that; everyone knew golden things were good. But back to the pygmy puff thing. "Don't tell your mum this, but I bet a pygmy puff would eat the vegetables you don't like right off your plate."
Duncan enjoyed the sealing of envelopes. He made sure to press the stamp SO WELL so that the picture was visible. He also wanted to touch it. Can he touch it? He was going to try it in the next letter his father passed to him.

Wow, his father did know a lot about owls. It was not surprising, his father knew a lot about a lot of things. Owls, pygmy puffs, money, how to make mum happy after they had a small fight and much more. "They eat rats?" Duncan paused his stamping, a little horrified by this brand new information. Okay, they couldn't get an owl now! "I didn't know birds ate stuff other than grass." He added sadly, going back to his stamping.

The talk about Hufflepuff cheered him up a little. It was funny how quickly children's emotions morphed at this age, right? They cared deeply but moved on quite fast, or was it just lil Dunk? In any case, he started to have a smile on the more his father talked about his house back in school. "I hope I'm also sorted in Hufflepuff, just like you." He commented spontaneously just before he moved his finger to touch the seal he just stamped.