Thread: Crossover: Answers Come The Hard Way Sa+16
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #162 (permalink)
Connie
Gryffindor
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Janet Lynn Gordon
Fifth Year
Werecats are people too! Reader of Fan Fictions

Hey Guys, time for the next and last chapter for this segment. But don't distress it isn't the end of the ff. The last few chapters have been setting up a new story arc that will begin next Sunday, hopefully. This chapter is longer than the last couple chapters, but not as long as they normally are. So anyway, here you go. I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to comment if you want especially if you don't understand something or are curious about something. But don't ask me what is going to happen next, 'cause I don't want to ruin it for anyone. Thanks for reading and I'll catch ya later.

Chapter 7

The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back

Harry folded his arms across his chest and looked down at the floor deep in thought. He began pacing the floor totally in his own world and then he finally stopped pacing and said, “There's no other way to do it.” He looked at John and directed his attention to the x-ray.

“When Ron used a freezing spell on you I don't think he intended to do anything else, but the curse was for the most part still controlling him. When he used the knockback jinx on you after freezing you like a statue, he tried to move his wand away from you. Ron is normally a pretty good shot with his wand. But like he said, he knew he was doing wrong and couldn't stop from cursing you; but he was able to pull his wand ever so slightly which caused the curse from hitting you full on but still got the side of your neck. This place right here is exactly where the curse hit you. It will never heal and it can't be corrected with medication or potions. And it can't be corrected with surgery. You'll spend the rest of your life with these severe headaches, and dizziness, and you'll also never fly again. This area doesn't show up on the x-ray unless you enlarge it like I did. Luckily for you, I can fix it for you.”

Harry waited to hear what John said without looking at him. He didn't want to influence his decision but he couldn't help having a negative feeling about doing the procedure. Then he decided to be a man about it and just look at John and it be okay for him to fix him. The two stared at each other and Harry asked if he had any questions.

John said, “Yeah, what do you have to do and how will it affect me flying?”

Harry grinned and said, “First of all, it won't affect your flying whatsoever and you'll be one hundred percent cured as soon as the procedure is done.”

“How long will it take for the procedure?” asked John showing a little skepticism.

“It'll take about fifteen minutes from start to finish.”

John thought for a minute and said, “How will it affect you?”

“It won't, I'll just be hungry and tired.”

John looked curiously at him and said, “When you were thinking about how it could be fixed you said there isn't any other way to do it. Why were you looking for an alternative way to do it if it won't affect you?”

Harry sighed and said, “Remember on Atlantis when I stepped into your body and cured you?”

John swallowed and nodded his head. Harry went on with the explanation saying, “It'll be something like that only I won't absorb any of the dead section, I'll fix it with my mind. I'll partition off the dead section and then I'll cause the Wraith enzyme in me to attach to it. It will begin regenerating new life and then I'll stop it when it is fixed.”

John said, “And when do you tell me the part where you would rather use a different procedure if you could?”

Harry took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly thinking how to word what he had to say. He licked his lips and bit the lower lip. He shrugged his shoulders and said, “I will be completely vulnerable to you. You will know my every thought and... well my emotions are raw and not buried deep at all. You remember don't you the last time we did this. It'll be like that, only I won't need to get healed by Poseidon's gift.”

Harry wrote a note and put it on the door of the study and closed it. “I can't take the chance of being disturbed. Come on let's get this done.”

John shook his head and said, “I don't want to be one with your thoughts and memories. That place you keep under guard is terrifying and I'm not strong enough to-” Harry was instantly behind him telling him not to move. He stepped inside John and instantly felt the headache and the dizziness. He felt sick at his stomach and had to be completely still while he settled down to do his work.

John instantly felt an overabundance of strength and vitality. He also felt so tired he didn't see how it would be possible to breath another breath. He was suffocating and became alarmed he would die. Then he felt calm because Harry spoke to him.

“You're okay, John, try to relax. Try to ignore what you feel, it isn't you it's me.

John also felt hunger like he had never known before. Why was he so hungry?! He occupied himself trying to think why Harry would be so hungry and was surprised when he felt Harry's thoughts and emotions he had hidden away. He was terrified and couldn't move he was so frightened. He tried to calm down; he was a soldier he knew about scary places and scary things, but this was beyond every scary place he'd been or seen. “Why am I so afraid?” He looked around as much as he could without moving. He couldn't see anything, it was completely black but for a tiny shimmering light far far away and he felt the expanse of empty space close in on him. He made one of the tiny lights come close and looked closely at it. It was Ginny brushing her hair. She was so beautiful and he wanted to go to her but the tiny light kept its distance and he couldn't get to her. Another light came into view and he looked into it. He cried out seeing a green light and heard a woman screaming in the green light for Harry's life to be saved. His heart was breaking and he couldn't move away from the light. He kept looking into different lights and some he felt happy except he couldn't get to them. Others he was terrified of and couldn't get away. Somehow he willed himself to move away from the terror gripping lights and wept from his breaking heart. He was alone in the vastness of space because without love he wasn't tethered to anything or anyone. He thought he heard voices far away. He strained to hear anyone, and was thrilled to hear a voice. It was Ginny and then he could see her. His heart jumped for joy and he tried to run to her. He couldn't breathe again but he knew if he could get to her he would be okay. John tried to move towards her but when he started running he was going the wrong way. He ran after her and called desperately for her but she kept running away. The kids did the same thing and so did Ron and Hermione. Nobody wanted him around, he guessed, because he was so ugly and scary. He was an animal and the loneliness was so intense that when he tried to breath he couldn't. Loneliness was what he was most terrified of in his life. John experienced battles Harry fought and felt the wounds he received from them. He experienced fighting Zeus and felt so much contempt for the god but he just wanted to get away alive. But Zeus's wrath was terrifying and he fought furiously to protect himself. Finally he yelled at Zeus to think of his son and what he could do to help him. Zeus wouldn't be distracted from wanting to kill him. Finally when he felt he wouldn't live another second he killed the god. John felt the sorrow Harry had for Zeus's son. He wanted to die but then he felt a calming presence from a gentle voice. It was Harry, “John, come away from there, it's not safe for you to be that close or you'll become obsessed with it. It's not you; it's me. Come on, I'm nearly done. He was walking along a brook of clear water with thick green grass all around. Beautiful flowers adorned the landscape and he saw a man coming to greet him. He was watching him. John said, “Who are you?” The man smiled and said, “I am the Master of Death; I'm here to fetch Harry so often that he created this place for me to wait.”

John looked at the man and tried to see what he looked like. He knew Harry had the stone, cloak, and wand so he was the Master of Death. Then when the man looked at him he saw himself, “But you're me! How can it be that I'm Master of Death?”

The man answered him saying, “Well I'm not really you, Harry just made me look like you so he could spend the time he was dying talking to someone he loves who understands him.”

Then the calm and gentle presence of Harry returned and said, “Look, here we are, all done. I need you to not think of anything but me stepping out of your body. If you keep your thoughts on what's inside me then I can't leave you, and we'll actually die. Come on, think of Teyla, you have a new life to concentrate on now.”

John thought about it and knew Harry was correct. Right then Harry stepped out of John's body and fell to the floor face down. John opened the door and took down the note Harry put up and then he picked Harry up and carried him to the couch. He just finished making him comfortable and ran to the bathroom to wash his face. He was angry he had tears streaming down his face. He couldn't shake how lonely Harry was and how terrifying it was for him to be alone. Loneliness to Harry was living without anyone who loved him who could comfort him and who doesn't disapprove of him or doesn't accuse him unjustly. He was angry that Harry kept death with him just so he wouldn't be alone when he died. He knew Harry needed to rest and eat so he touched his Mokeskin pouch and said Winky.

Winky appeared looking confused. “How did you call me?”

John said, “Harry has me holding his pouch with his wand and sword and everything else. I thought maybe since I-”

Winky saw Harry on the couch and said, “Yes, he needs me; you did the right thing.”

Winky made a drink of vital elements he needed and mixed it with water. She touched him with a finger zapping him like a shock of blue lightning and he jumped and sat up breathing hard. He looked around and grinned wearily at John. “How are you feeling? Did I get the right spot and did it work?”

Winky handed him the tall glass of drink she made for him. John answered tightly that it worked perfectly, but he never wants to do it again. Harry's eyes betrayed the disappointment he felt but he smiled faintly and said, “I don't seem to be able to please anyone with anything I do; but since you said it worked perfectly then I am happy with my efforts.”

He drank the drink straight down and thanked Winky for it. “Since you're grumpy I'm guessing you don't want to visit. I'm going to sleep until lunch is ready. Could you wake me when its ready, John?”

John grumpily nodded his head. Harry started to lie back down but first looked out to the pool. If anyone wants to visit or do anything together I'm up for that.”

Harry slept until John shook his shoulder. “Lunch is ready, come out and eat.” Harry sat up groggy and rubbed his face. He started to go out to the kitchen and stopped to make sure he was presentable and civilized looking and then brushed his hair. He washed his hands and went out to sit at the table.

He glanced at John to see if he was still upset with him and frowned when John didn't even look at him. He stood behind his chair for a minute and then walked to the window and looked out at the pool. It was empty so he assumed Ginny and Lily were getting dressed. “Have the boys come up from the stable yet?”

John nodded his head without looking at him. “You might as well sit down and eat, it's just us for lunch today. He looked at his friend and saw his jaws clamp shut and his hopeful face turned into a stoic look about him. John couldn't read him but he knew what was going through his mind.

Harry thanked Winky for the lunch she set before him and John. He picked up his fork and began eating. John wondered why Harry didn't ask about his family's whereabouts and decided he couldn't take the disappointment of them not being here for whatever reason they had. They ate in silence and after Harry finished his second plate of food he pushed the plate away from him. He finished his third glass of water and then looked at John.

He apparently had finished eating his lunch long before Harry did and put the last forkful of chocolate cake in his mouth. He swallowed it with the last of his coffee and looked at Harry.

“What do you want to do big brother? I assume you know where my family is and when they'll be back; so you should know how much time we have to do whatever you want. I don't feel up to sitting around being mad at the world. Pick something fun to do. We need to do something fun.”

John's face softened and said, “Harry, I promise I don't have a clue as to what is going on here. Ginny and Lily came in and said they were meeting her parents at the Leaky Cauldron for lunch. I told her you were just napping until they were done swimming and that you wanted to do something together.”

Harry didn't take his eyes off of John while he talked and then he slowly nodded his head and looked away when John didn't finish saying why Ginny didn't wake him up so they could go too. He picked up the Rising Phoenix and sat back in his chair and crossed his leg as he opened up the newspaper. John saw the pages shaking and knew Harry was trembling. He hadn't noticed him trembling before and realized Harry was probably thinking he was living his worst fear. But that wasn't the case at all. Harry gripped the paper in his fists crumpling the edges and then said, “Well, I found Ginny's note.” He slammed the paper down with the article he was reading showing.

John took the paper and read the article in sports around the world. Draco had interviewed Ginny asking her professional opinion on what teams would end up going to the Quidditch World Cup Tournament this year and would she be going as a writer or spectator.

“Yes, I'm thrilled to announce I will be going as the official broadcaster calling all the plays from the booth this year, and as far as who I think will be competing this year; I'm thinking the Irish and Bulgaria. These two teams haven't been in the tournament since the year Harry played as a guest on the Irish team. Of course it was all a setup of Ludo Bagman's to wear Harry out so Lord Voldemort could kill him easily. That didn't work out for him though; did it. Anyway the Irish won that year Harry played Seeker for them and this year their seeker has been in top form so it'll be interesting to watch. The Bulgarian's have been undefeated so far these last three years. I should mention that the Holyhead Harpies have been on form this season even with injuries to their first string players and if something happens that the Irish loses then it'll more than likely be the Harpies going to the tournament. But we can't overlook Puddlemere United who has surprisingly done very well this season. If the Harpies lose one more game this season Puddlemere will draw a wildcard giving them a likely chance to play in the tournament. It will be an exciting match whoever plays. And as a commemorative gesture the tournament is going to be held at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

“Is it true that Mr. Potter has been invited to play a scrimmage game with the current champions, Gryffindor and second place team, Slytherin at Hogwarts before the main event? I've been asked to play Seeker for Slytherin and I have to tell you I'm not looking forward to going against Mr. Potter. He really is formidable looking, and he is a great Seeker. I'm sure I don't have a chance.”

“Well, Mr. Malfoy, I'm sure you don't have to worry about that. Harry hasn't officially been invited yet and quite honestly I don't see him accepting. I'm too afraid to ask him (giggles) and besides; by that time there will probably be another disaster somewhere in the world he needs to save us all from. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so cynical but we rarely get to see him anymore. He is a giving man and my hero, I just wish the kids and I could see him once in a while.”

“I guess that is all the time we have for today, Mrs. Potter. Good luck to you and I hope to see Mr. Potter at the tournament whether he plays in the scrimmage game or not. Thank you for being my guest for this segment.”

John looked at Harry and smiled despite the anger building in his friend. “Come on little brother, you have to admit you'd have fun playing the game again, only with kids instead of a brain washed professional team. And you'd get to play against Draco.”

Harry turned from the window he was looking out of with his impish grin. “You're too funny. I'd be embarrassed getting showed up by a bunch of kids, my sons' being two of them.” He looked sad, “I'd be taking Albus's place. I won't do that, I'll tell them no if they ask me to play.”

He sat down in front of John and said, “John, I don't want you to be at odds with me. I don't understand why you're angry with me. I think I'll go crazy if I can't have at least one friend-”

John interrupted him saying, “I'm not angry at you really, I'm angry because you risked too much healing me. And if you can't let me be with whatever happens then I can't be friends because I care too much about you to risk your life for me. You are a good man Harry, and I won't take advantage of your goodness. I am thankful that I can fly still, but if it turned out that I couldn't, then that would have been for me to deal with, not you. I fight my own battles. So if you can't change and just let things be the way they are supposed to be then we can't be friends. Please say you'll change, I want you to be my friend. I need for you to be my friend.”

Just then John's cell phone rang. Harry got up and moved away to give him privacy, but he knew the call was for him to return to Atlantis. When he got off the phone he went to Harry and put his hand on his shoulder. Harry turned and held out his hand. John shook it and Harry chuckled softly but looked him in the eyes and with a brave but sad voice said, “I was going to ask for my Mokeskin pouch back. If you don't mind, I'd still like it to go to you if I need it to, I mean like if I die. Its too dangerous for any wizard or witch to have.”

“Oh, yeah, of course.” He took off the pouch and put it in Harry's hand. “I have to catch a flight to Cheyenne Mountain and take the gate back to Atlantis. I'm sorry, I tried to find out what the emergency was because I was told by Carson I couldn't fly or return to duty until he found out what bothered him about my head. Mr. Woolsey said I still had to go back and I would be looked after there. He also told me to tell you I'm supposed to refuse your help if you offer to bring me home and you're not permitted on Atlantis anymore, and I've been ordered not to have anything to do with you. I don't know what this is about but I'll get to the bottom of this and take care of it.”

Harry didn't take his eyes off of John the whole time he was talking and then he said, “Before you leave I want to tell you that I can't change who I am. And what if I was supposed to find out what was wrong with you and fix you? Did you ever think of that? What good is it for me to have the knowledge and the ability and not use it? So since we can't be friends... John... don't... don't forget to get someone else to be your best man. This will probably be the straw that breaks the camels back. Ginny and the kids won't forgive me for messing up their friendship and keeping them from the wedding. Teyla asked Ginny to be her Maid of Honor and Lily was going to be the Flower Girl.”

Last edited by Connie; 11-07-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote