View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Default Review: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix concert

On the road to its 1000th performance (later this August in Denver), the Harry Potter Film Concert Series came to Los Angeles on Saturday, June 29, for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, conducted by Sarah Hicks, expertly played Nicholas Hooper’s film score with the movie playing on large screens around the Hollywood Bowl. A huge crowd of diehard Potter fans, dressed in their finest Hogwarts robes, gathered for this special event, and they weren’t disappointed.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is an important part of the Harry Potter series, setting the stage for the saga’s conclusion. The movie explores the strong connection between Harry and Lord Voldemort, and how that connection weighs on Harry. We see him isolate himself from the people he loves most, but we also see him reclaim his power by mastering his mind and connecting with his friends again through the formation of Dumbledore’s Army. The score beautifully captures Harry’s angst and inner turmoil, while also drawing out the tension and excitement of the film’s action sequences, most notably George and Fred Weasley’s farewell to Hogwarts, Dumbledore’s Army storming the Ministry of Magic and Dumbledore’s battle with Lord Voldemort.

Seeing Harry Potter in concert with a live orchestra gave new life to Order of the Phoenix, which I have seen many times. Hearing the score in person gave me chills and reminded me just how important music is in films. Music moves the audience, drives the narrative, creates tension and adds depth to every scene. But there were several times Saturday night when I forgot the orchestra was even there, which is perhaps the greatest compliment I can pay the musicians. Every note and music cue was perfectly placed, so I was never fully taken out of the movie’s action, but every now and then, I couldn’t help but tear my eyes away from the screen, look down to the orchestra and think to myself that seeing Harry Potter in concert is a truly magical experience, fit for a magical series of films.

To find a show near you, click here.