View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Goblinfrog

DIMC & MO
Billywig

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lola A.
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Emily L. Valentine
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Nick Moonston
Mischievous Niffler

SPOILER!!: Malachi
....that....was an odd way of putting it. For a moment, the man’s brows furrowed in confusion. He didn’t...she wanted....impress him? While it was always a good idea to be in good standing with your employer, it struck him somewhat odd she’d outright ask how she could impress him—fitting as the question was given the circumstances.

The Headmaster supposed he may as well get into it then, yeah? She had specifically asked and while he didn’t expect it to be asked like that, he did have an answer.

Being capable of carrying out all the duties you’ve been tasked with would be a good start.” Not said unkindly but with some amount of conviction. He’d heard a few accounts of all the terrors that took place on the grounds and he couldn’t say they left him feeling all too confident.

“Tell me, is there a reason you go around without your wand? I’m only assuming—do correct me if I’m wrong—as you made no attempts at magic or improving the situation even after Thereos arrived with a viable solution.” Yes, he’d heard some concerning things about that day at the boathouse. “Or perhaps you did have your wand. I’ve considered that too, but then it doesn’t explain the chaos I was informed of. In dire situations, I need to know that my staff can conduct themselves appropriately and protect the students. When you’re the only adult present, you’re the one they depend on. The one who has to remain even somewhat calm, take charge and put an end to the disaster wherever and however possible. You understand this, yes?” Before he moved on to anything else.

So she was right. This was about the incident at the docks. But of course she was right. What else could it have been about? It seemed that no matter how hard she tried, there always was at least one incident per term in which she managed to anger some of her colleagues - and this - this was it.

Despite the somberness, she did not show any visible signs of nervousness. It would not have been good to let the headmaster see how she felt at this moment. Especially since calmness was the subject at hand.

"You are correct, I didn't have my wand with me at that moment - else I surely would have performed better." It did not occur to her to lie and say that she did have her wand. Being a professor who was known to spy on colleagues and students (during previous administrations), O'Hara knew all too well that lies tended to be discovered eventually. "I often do not take my wand with me when exercising. It's long and inflexible and would get in the way." Slight pause. Exercise was not the only time she didn't carry her wand. It would be better to admit that, she decided. "But I rarely take my wand out of my office at all, even when I'm not exercising. The only exceptions are when we go to Hogsmeade or sometimes at feasts. Most of the time, it stays in here." And she gently opened a drawer on her desk and took out her wand. A Hawthorne wand. She placed it on top of the desk.

She wanted Malachi closely for a reaction. Was he surprised, or did he already suspect as much? "I am sure you are aware, Headmaster, that I am the least magically gifted witch or wizard you have on you staff. My subject is teaching history, and that is where I excel." Well, that, and also enforcing harsh exercise regimes. She loved that part, but that was irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Alice nodded when the headmaster asked her if she understood that students counted on her. "I understand and agree fully with you if you are going to tell me I acted unprofessionally. I am fully at fault for not having my wand...but for every other mishap that happened on that dock, please take into consideration that I was hit very hard in the head. I wasn't thinking clearly and I was hallucinating with everyone else. I believe I would have controlled myself and been able to take control of the situation if I had not been almost killed by an oar. There were two things affecting my thinking." Still, I take full responsibility and I am sorry that I did not control myself better - even under those savage circumstances."