View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 01:01 PM

quill Arithmancy 1: The Basics of Arithmalethilogy

Bright and early on a windy Thursday morning is the first Arithmancy lesson of the term, and subsequently the first with Professor Ayana Sissay. She's just as excited as all the students obviously are, possibly even more considering how most teenagers and preteens feel about early mornings. But no matter! This is the best time for Arithmancy class. She'd checked the numbers.

The classroom is set up in quite the traditional Hogwarts fashion, with rows of tables and chairs facing the blackboard. On the desk at the front of the class is an assortment of seemingly random objects which will assist Professor Sissay with her lesson today; tiny animated elephants in a tiny enclosure, several leather coin bags, potted flutterby bushes, some broken clocks and finally, plastic muggle joysticks.

The Professor herself is gently leaning against the side of her desk with her arms by her sides, waiting with a smile for her new students to come in and take their seats. Behind her, the blackboard has already been filled with the notes they'll be needing for the lesson, but all that has all been hidden for now. No need to cause panic with new concepts just yet, which is why it currently only sports the following words in soft, curly handwriting:

Quote:
Good morning and welcome to Arithmancy!
OOC: Helloooooooo everyone and welcome to Arithmancy! We're BACK. As always, don't forget to read over the rules here before you post. Please remember that this is indeed your characters' first lesson with Professor Sissay but it is certainly possible that this is not the first time your character has interacted with her (and seen her, definitely) since it's been two whole days since the year began on a Tuesday! Trust me, I checked!

You'll have around 24 hours to post your characters arriving, and then we'll dive right into the fun with the numbers because numbers are fun. Are you excited? I'm excited. Much excitement is happening in this head of mine. Always remember that you can pretend your character has been with us this entire time, or not and deal with the IC consequences. Happy RPing!

Lesson progression:
- Part 1: What are some uses of Arithmancy? On what do the calculations we perform depend on?
_______Think about how you would carry out a numerological calculation. What do you need in order for that calculation to be possible?
- Part 2: What are some problems with name based arithmancy? Use examples mentioned by Ayana as guidance.
- Part 3: The Number Revealing Charm.
- Part 4: Number Analysis - Single Digit System, combinations, and the central figure.
- Part 5: Wrapping Up - closing commentary, homework assignment.