View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #63 (permalink)
Jessiqua

DERP & DoM
Poltergeist

Ministry RPG Name:
Archer Burton
Environmental Protection
x9
Sassenach | RAVENPUFF | Sing me a song of a lass that is gone | bookDRAGON | #awkwardturtle<#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Aoife's face lit up. It didn't matter that those journals weren't offered yet, because he had clearly liked the idea and was going to make it happen! She nodded furiously. "I will! And I can owl you any new ideas t'at I get?" Aoife always had ideas. Always. And she was willing to share with anyone that could make them a reality.

A small astonished gasp escaped her as the various leather journals floated over. She knew magic was real, of course she did, she was just after getting her own wand, but that didn't mean she was used to seeing it much at all. And so, the sight of any sort of magic amazed her still with no end in sight. "T'at's...t'at's..." She pulled her wits about her finally and after a small hesitation, plucked the largest of them from the air. "T'is one will do." She glanced over to the design area then back at the shopkeeper and added, poignantly, "For now."

There was only one more matter to discuss. "Em...I've never used quills before. And..." She dropped her voice a little, "I don't know if I can use t'em. I'm a leftie...and, em, wet ink and all...my brother keeps telling me I will fail because my assignments will be smeared and unreadable..." She glanced up at the shopkeeper with pleading eyes. Surely, she couldn't be the only left-handed witch.
Ray noticed the young lady's face lighting up. "Say... are you heading into your first year?" he asked. He was sure his awe at magic had disappeared after being at Hogwarts for a few weeks. He nodded, one firm nod, "I would appreciate your input." Certainly, considering she had given him the idea. "What is your name Madam? I'm Ray." Since they were consulting on a fantastic idea, they might as well know names.

Pleased that she was happy with the selection of leather notebooks, he magicked the rest back to their positions. He listened with a serious ear to her concerns and nodded. "Well we sell muggle pens if you'd like to take some of those, just in case. But I can show you how to use a quill and not smudge it." He headed over to the area where he kept the quills and inks, and from them he plucked a standard quill and a rigid nib, which he swapped over on the quill. "Left handers need a more rigid nib, because of the way you write the prongs would tend to open up more easy and spill the ink. A rigid one will prevent this." He unscrewed some standard black ink and dipped it into the jar.

"However you usually write can easily be adapted to prevent all that smudging. If you position yourself wrist over the top, or underneath, it's okay. You just want to train yourself out of dragging your hand over your writing if you do that normally." And some people did, he knew. He was right handed, so showing her some of the techniques felt a bit awkward. He positioned his arm over the top of the work, writing across the page and keeping all contact clear from dragging over the ink. He positioned it underneath, which kept everything clear from dragging. Then he demonstrated the different angles of the paper, showing how it could be ever so slightly tilted either way, or tilted so that he was writing vertically, both up and down depending on whether the wrist was positioned on top of underneath. When he was done he emptied the ink from the nib and passed it across to her. "You try now. Dip it into the ink and have a play. Don't worry if you smudge, we can clean that up."

EVASIVE | RESTLESS | MISUNDERSTOOD
always on the move