View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #186 (permalink)
natekka
Dark Force Defense League

DoM & DIMC

Bicorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jade Archer de Leon
Slytherin
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Olive Gracae-Ryans
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Clara Rider (née Wilde)
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Riley Archer de Leon
Mysteries
Default playing catch up + starting a new boat (spots reserved for Drew & Oda)
Little Fox | ½ of Lauralie | Ravenclaw with a Hufflepuff heart and a Gryffindor soul | #HouseNATARIANA

SPOILER!!: Question 2 + walking
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
He looked to the class again. "Moving on!" No need to keep standing around here. This wasn't where they needed to be. "Everyone, follow me. Watch your step, don't dilly dally, we've got places to be. I'm sure it hasn't escaped any of you that I'm the only one currently in possession of any form of light. Keep your wands in their holsters, reholster them if you've drawn them. I don't want to see a single illumination charm cast. That entirely defeats the purpose of this little exercise." The light was bright enough that it travelled some distance. Even if they couldn't see him, they could still very much see him.

"Follow not only the light, but the sound of my voice." Were they clear? "When I've stopped talking, it will be especially important to pay attention to this light, my light."

With that, the man began to move through the bog. The immediate area had bushes, low hanging branches, muddy soil and the occasional over grown root. So long as they were cautious, they would be fine. "Quick recap while we walk." He said, carefully moving through the terrain. It was very important that they followed his instructions because he'd turned his back to them in order to see the path ahead. "Plenty of dangers in bogs. Magical creatures. Magical plants. Regular, predatory creatures. Bugs. The terrain itself. There were quite a few suggestions...and a few consequences. That being said, I'd like to discourage everyone from tripping and breaking your neck. Similarly, I wouldn't recommend falling onto a jagged rock. If you don't die, it doesn't break the rules but....still painful and you'll miss the fun stuff." He covered a few of the answers touched on while he walked, occasionally pausing to ensure they were still going the right way--inconvenient for anyone walking too close to him.

"A few of you mentioned hinkypunks, and in case it isn't by this point obvious that they'll be the focus of this lesson, they are. That said, what do you know about hinkypunks? Or, you can tell me what actions you would take if you found yourself travelling through an area like this with several lanterns leading off in different directions." They could answer both if they wanted to, but he'd appreciate them answering even one.

Tessa’s interest piqued when the Headmaster told them that they were to keep their wands holstered. Where were they going? It wasn’t difficult to follow him, even though the terrain was uneven and damp. She was pretty agile, you know? She laughed when he ‘discouraged’ them from breaking their necks. He was funny, and Tessa suspected that he wasn’t even trying to be funny.

Her suspicions about this lesson being about Hinkypunks were confirmed soon enough. That explained the lack of light and the bogginess. “They’re like smoke and carry a lantern,” she said in answer to his question. And, in a stroke on GENIUS if she did say so herself, Tessa had a thought. "Depending on how far away the creatures are, could you use Homenum Revelio? Then you could find out if the source of the light is a person or not. I mean, that still might not work if there's a person and a Hinkypunk around. So it's not exactly foolproof but it's probably better than yelling 'HEY, YOU THERE. ARE YOU A HINKYPUNK?', right?"

Heh.

Wasn’t she just so concise?

SPOILER!!: get in boats + start of the mini activity
Quote:
"Moving on!" He hoped they'd been paying attention to each other. The students had given the bulk of the information and there wasn't any need to say it ALL again.

Malachi drew his wand to reveal a few boats. Those closer to the front had a better chance of seeing them. "We're taking a little trip that will get us to our final activity. There are boats by the edge of the water here." He paused to gesture. "No more than five in a boat. Don't worry about capsizing, they've been charmed against that. Similarly, they will not sink. You've got nothing to worry about from them." So no unnecessary panic, yeah? They'd all been doing good at that so far. "You will board the boats then follow me in mine. Remember what I've said. Listen for my voice. Look for my lantern. It's very important."

For reasons. Ahem.

With that, the Headmaster climbed into the first boat and nudged himself out onto the water. He brightened his lantern a bit so they could see back on the shoreline. "Everyone into boats, no time to waste."
Quote:
Just a minute into the rowing, another light appears next to the Headmaster's. It dances around the first light before slowlyyy drifting away from the original lantern. Or was IT the original lantern? Either way, it's begun to veer off toward the left. Do you follow or keep straight?

To make matters worse, there's now a third light. It starts where the left light is but slowly drifts over to the one that continues straight. Both lights continue in this direction. Keep your eyes on them unless you don't believe either to be the Headmaster's. Should you have gone left? The lights aren't so far apart that the distance of the voice makes a difference yet. With how close they currently were, the voice could be coming from any of the three. All of them? Hopefully you've been watching.

Tessa was not disappointed when they reached their destination. They were getting into boats? It was like first year all over again. Except, presumably, with something related to Hinkypunks added.

People climbed into boats, one after another, and Tessa was having a hard time following who was in a boat with who and which boats, if any, had any spare places. So, she clambered into a new boat. Her boat was soon filled, too, as more students joined, each of them taking control of an oar. She grinned good-naturedly at each of them. "I'm Tessa," she introduced herself before the Headmaster started talking again. They were still supposed to have their wands away, right? The point was to follow the Headmaster's light...and voice, she supposed. Which was actually more difficult now than when they were walking - there was more fog over the water.

"Oh, is that another light?" She asked the other students in her boat. If it wasn't for the fact she was already looking at the Headmaster's light, she would have found it hard to tell which light was the right light to follow. OHHHHH!!! That was the whole point, wasn't it? Duh. "Keep your eyes of that one," she told her boatmates, nodding in the direction of the Headmaster's light.

You are Honey!