View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
hermionesclone
Gladrags Mod

DMC & DMAC
Pogrebin

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alexander River Hirsch
Gryffindor
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
--

Ministry RPG Name:
Zhuó Xiá Li

Ministry RPG Name:
Grayson Douglas Whitlock
Accidents & Catastrophes

x11 x11
urine trouble | Pat's Strong Confident Other Half | Pees Like a Champion Unicorn Racehorse

Text Cut: You guuuuys!
Text Cut: Nettie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
Hidebehind? Nettie had NO idea what that was. It sounded made up, to be honest. Still, eager to learn more about it and figure out what the heck that was, she picked up her book and flipped through the chapters. It took her a few moments, but she finally stumbled upon the chapter. She read it over a bit - it was actually SUPER interesting - before raising her hand.

"Professor, a Hidebehind is half demiguise, half ghoul," she answered. She found herself reading ahead in the chapter after she answered because that was CRAZY and really intriguing...like, how did that even HAPPEN? Was there just one? WERE THERE A LOT?

Did Hirsch mind the quick flipping through the textbook that Miss Gladin was doing? Not in the slightest. But it did cause a slightly amused smile to spread across his face.

"Concise and well put," he said, giving her a small nod of his head, "As odd of a combination as it is," And it was weird. Just... weird. "you're completely right. Well done!"

Text Cut: Emmalyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
Move arms! She was in a fight with her own body, trying to will it to cooperate. She clearly heard Maddie call for help. Bless her heart, she was trying to be nice, but how embarrassing. Emmalyn wished she could crawl back in the darkness of the room. Then Patrick brought over chocolate to help. While that was a great idea, her arms were still not full cooperating. The smell, however, was drifting in and slowly relaxing her tense arms. She wanted to say thank you, but she wasn't sure what would come out of her mouth if she tried. Not quiet yet.

Then, Professor Hirsch was suddenly next to her. She wasn't sure were he had come from, but she was thankful he was there. She felt her shoulder being shaken, which further brought her back to the present. "I" she squeaked then cleared her throat. "I'm okay. Yes, I'm okay." Her fists were first to relax, followed by her shoulders. After only a few more deep breaths, her arms finally released their tight hold of the dummy.

Her eyes met his and she mustered up a smile. "I'm okay, yes. But, please don't make me do that again." She shuddered again at the thought of what just happened. "Please, not ever again." Her shaky hand reached out and grabbed the water and she took a long drink before picking up the chocolate. Her stomach wasn't in the mood for sweets, but she knew it would help her feel better. She took a few bites and slowly got to her feet.

"Thanks Professor Hirsch, I think I'm all better now." That was one of the biggest lies she had told in some time, but there wasn't any point in having the good ugly cry that she wanted to have in the middle of class. It could wait until she was back to her dorm room.

Emmlayn smiled at Maddie and Patrick "Thanks" she said as she slowly walked over to where the rest of the class was. It was comforting to be around all her classmates and in a well lit area.

After settling in and eating a bit more chocolate, she pulled out her parchment to take notes. The next question was one she was a tiny bit knowledgeable about. Care of Magical Creatures was of interest to her, so she'd spent some extra time studying the different creatures. She raised her hand, arm still a bit achy "Sir, the Hidebehind has the power of invisibility and it's prey of choice is humans." Yuck. The thought of anything wanting to eat a person was gross.

'I'm okay' wasn't something Hirsch was prone to believing. After all, how many times had a student said those words to his face and how many times had they actually been okay? So it was probably with this thought in mind that he didn't move away after her first 'I'm okay'.

Her following words caused that familiar tugging at his chest to come back again. There was a slightly long pause because, well, what was he meant to say to that? It only added onto the guilt that was slowly building up inside of him. Guilt and slight shock because he hadn't anticipated to receive this kind of reaction and yet.... "No... no, of course not. Er," Could he swear again? In German? "I apologise about all of that but the next task is a lot more fun and has nothing to do with the dark." If that made her feel better.

Something he was glad about? That she was at least drinking the water and eating the chocolate. "That's okay," he said, deciding that this was probably the moment he should leave her alone. Besides, Mr Dooley was still with her, right? So, after a swift smile, he got up and made his way back up to the front again...

... just in time to hear an answer from Miss Walsh. "Exactly," he said, giving her a single nod of his head, "That's probably what makes them so deadly: the fact that we can't see them in the first place." Was the first activity starting to make sense now?

Text Cut: Chloe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
It made Chloe feel bad to know that Professor Hirsch thought he'd upset her. Although, he had upset her, but she wasn't broken or unable to go on. The chocolate was going a long way to fix even her upset. "It's okay, professor. Most classes at Hogwarts are upsetting, to be honest. The world is pretty upsetting." But they survived just fine. "It was more the not knowing than the not seeing. In most circumstances, you at least have a vague idea what you're getting yourself into."

So they were going to talk about the Hidebehind today? It wasn't really a creature that Chloe was familiar with, but that was mostly because the Dark ones interested her less. Dangerous creatures, fluffy ones, scaly ones, legless lump ones... just not Dark ones. "Can't they change their shape to make themselves hide behind nearly any object? Probably where they got their name."

'Most classes at Hogwarts are upsetting, to be honest. The world is pretty upsetting.'

That was upsetting. It was true that the girl was in her mid-teens and therefore, starting to see the world for what it really was but this was still an upsetting revelation to hear from one of his students. Probably because it wasn't one he could deny in the first place.

Did he have anything to say to that? No. So he was just going to move onwards. "But if you don't know what you're getting yourself into, there's no way to prepare yourself for it." Mostly mentally, in this case. "That's pretty smart, Miss Kettleburn."

"Not a very creative name, is it?" Just saying. "Yes, they can. They hide themselves behind objects as a way of trying to sneak up on their prey. It's their form of attack and their way of making sure they're not spotted and defeated. Well done!"

Text Cut: Chloe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
"Oh hidebehind is what you do in games and when you want to hide from someone. You hidebehind something or someone." Yes, that was an easy one, she wasn't sure at first when she started in this class and had all the scary stuff. After the last few lessons she wasn't even sure she wanted to be in the class anymore and was hoping maybe she could drop it, but was told it was a must.

So now Chloe just tried to keep up and do her best not to seem like a scared bird hiding in her nest, maybe she could just hidebehind the next. Her own thoughts making her giggle a little.

This was a sweet answer. Really.

"Oddly enough, that links in very well with the topic and the creature." In a roundabout way. "You're right: the Hidebehind is a creature who does exactly that, just not during games. It hides behind objects and uses its invisibility to attack its prey. That's probably where it gets its name from." Again, not very creative name.

"Well done, Miss McCarthy." Smile.

Text Cut: Ronan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazykitty View Post
*big Malory Archer style sigh*

They hadn't been able to continue that little exercise cause someone had gone and flipped out. People realized that that wouldn't exactly work in the real world, right? Just saying. Ronan would've liked to have used his patronus to find out what, exactly, had been causing the sounds coming from the room but.....

As for what he would've done differently? Well, he probably would've skipped right ahead to using his patronus, but he was pretty sure that wasn't what Professor Hirsch was looking for. So, he just stayed silent. Well, except for another big sigh when the topic of today's lesson was revealed. Creatures. A subject that he wasn't quite so strong in. What was this, 'Find a Way to Stump Ronan Day'? Needless to say, he stayed silent in response to this one too.

The Head Boy wasn't usually one who stayed quiet during his class. He had a knack for defensive magic so to see him staying quiet wasn't exactly worrying but it did surprise the Defence Professor. It wasn't a cause for concern, was it? Or was this just angsty teenage hormones kicking in?

Don't answer that.

Text Cut: Jessa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
Oh. Honestly, Jessa hadn’t been expecting a follow up question on her comment about the doll. She was aware enough that it had nothing to do with the lesson and would have been perfectly fine with a nod from the Professor before he moved on.

That being said, it was nice to know he was interested.

“Well, in this case, it’s like you just explained with us relying on sight. Jane was charmed specifically to aid with surveillance. She doesn’t necessarily respond to stimulus like Lise would so if that dummy had actually gotten hold of her she wouldn’t struggle, she wouldn’t fight back, she’d have no strength to defend herself. Ideally, I’d like a doll that should this scenario be reproduced, be able to hold their own but the exact how will need more thought.”

The introduction of the day’s dark creature made sense. Hidebehind. She remembered reading about that.

“It’s said to be a direct result of accidental breeding. D’you suppose that neither creature really knew what they were doing or had they been an anamoly, Professor? I can’t imagine a witch or wizard “accidentally” cross breeding anything. It’s rather deliberate.”

Like her ideas of eventually cross breeding to create her own species of dragon.

...... Pause.

"So," he started slowly, "what I'm getting from this is that you've charmed multiple dolls to aid with surveillance and respond to stimulus?" And even given them names as well. "That's very impressive, Jessa. If you do produce a doll who manages to fight back, would the doll fight back naturally or would it be copying movements you make? Would you be acting out the defensive strategies yourself without being there?"

Could she tell that he was very curious?

"Interesting question, I have to say. I think it was an anomaly because no one would've expected it to happen and the creatures weren't brought to the United States with the means of being mated." Because that was.... well. He didn't want to think about it. "It's something that just.... happened, which makes you question both creatures habits and mating life." Something he never thought he'd have to say. "Well done!"

Text Cut: Stasya
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTiger View Post
The smile hadn’t been entirely unexpected. Stasya knew by now pretty much that her own demeanor had an effect on Professor Hirsch’s response to her, so she’d expected that sort of response to her own smile. The thing she hadn’t expected was to hear the word ‘exactly’ in reaction to her answer. Even she hadn’t really thought that was a god answer, but apparently she’d been wrong. Of course, she’d much rather be wrong this way rather than the other way. There was a level of responsibility she felt toward her title as prefect, showing the other Gryffindors how to behave. Technically. There were plenty of things she did that probably weren’t exactly what the others should follow.

The explanation had been interesting, too. Just the fact that a professor felt the need to explain why he’d approached a lesson a certain way, but then, it also didn’t surprise her? Not really. Not deep down, and she accepted the reasoning. If it had been a term or two earlier, maybe not, but she’d gotten better at not completely freezing in situations that made her remember her terror when she’d thought that she and some of her dormies were lost (and injured) in the forest simply because of her determination to find the unicorns.

Although, she’d cast the bluebell flame charm more to make sure she felt calm rather than just for light. In the end. Although she’d keep that to herself unless he asked. Instead, she tackled his introduction of the hidebehind. Because, creature, duh. “Hidebehinds are commonly reported in America, not really around here although maybe that’s more because nobody’s had an experience with one here rather than that they don’t exist in Europe? And witches and wizards are more likely to survive an encounter with one, so magic can probably be used to defeat one.” It was a guess, but it really did make sense. Besides, the appearance stuff had already been mentioned.

"Very clever answer," Did he expect anything less? Not in the slightest. "I'm very glad you've considered a reason behind their 'non-existence' in Europe as well, which is something to keep in mind." Because as much as it was safe to admit that they're American-based creatures, it didn't mean that you should let your guard down when you come across something similar in a forest.

"Magic is probably the best way to defeat one, mostly because you're not limited in the ways you could attack them and don't have to get close to them like Muggles probably have to do." There was also the fact that, as far as he knew, Muggles weren't taught about Hidebehinds. "Well done!" Smile.

Text Cut: Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Daisy inwardly chastised herself for not being successful in defeating the creature/monster. She was really hoping that she was improving when it came to her defence skills. She looked at Emmalyn and whispered, "Are you okay?"

Hidebehinds? Daisy didn't know much about them that hadn't been answered by her fellow students already but she decided to have a go and raised her hand. "I think they are shape-shifters."

Shape-shifters?

Hirsch paused. It was one of those answers that was, well, in between. It wasn't completely wrong but it also wasn't completely right either. And it was really an answer that caught him slightly off-guard.

"I guess...." he started slowly, "They're good at hiding and can contort their body to fit behind any object so I guess that does make them shape-shifters. Not in the sense we're probably used to but you're not wrong. Well done!"

Text Cut: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
Patrick nodded to Emmalyn. He was glad that she was okay, but he knew exactly how she felt. That had been him when they had a cave in the room his first term. He tried to shake the feeling and get back to the lesson at hand, but it was a bit hard for him to focus.

Shaking his head he cleared all the thoughts about the cave and the other's experiences. Each answer from his classmates made sense and he could easily see that they were onto something. "Do these creates only come out in the dark?" he asked, although he supposed he should really make it a statement. But since he wasn't sure about what a hidebehind actually was he figured he should just keep his mouth shut beyond his question.

Oh, this answer.

This answer caused the man to pause. Again.

"I can see why you'd think that, especially because of the activity at the beginning of the lesson but no. They come out during the daytime as well. I guess it's probably easier for them to attack their prey during the nighttime, especially since we can't see very well in the dark," As that activity just proved. "but no. They can turn invisible so there would be no use to stick to one time of the day." Besides, they were more likely to get more prey during the day.

"Not a bad answer, though, well done."

Text Cut: Dorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyLinJi View Post
He was paying attention to the professor's words now instead of ignoring him. Had he been the only one who had screamed earlier? He lowered his head again as he looked at his shoes. But as the chocolate was having a positive effect on him, Dorian slowly turned to his normal self. His talk about using all of their senses was being noted in his notebook although he already knew this. He just needed to have something to do.

"A hidebehind is a vicious hybrid creature that can disguise itself behind any object and it also preys on humans. It was accidentally created by a guy named...eh..." Merlin's Beard what was his name again? "I can't remember his name but he was known for the cruel treatment he was using on the creatures he was 'caring' for and i think that because of this the hidebehind turned into this vile creature because it was probably always treated horribly." Blame the human yo

He said all this in a quiet voice and then lowered his hand before going back to looking the other way cause he was still slightly mad.

Oh, he was speaking?

Maybe it wasn't an angsty teenage hormone day. Thank Merlin.

"That was a very ethical answer, Mr Katharos." Really. "You're very right: the creature was an accidental hybrid between two European creatures that ended up being cruel and vicious because of a direct effect from the person whose care they were under." Because Demiguises and Ghouls weren't harmful creatures, really, but their hybrid child was, which said a lot.

"Well done!" Smile.

Text Cut: Josephine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppySara View Post
Hidebehind? She shivered remembering the horror stories her younger brother loved to tell of the beast, "Isn't that the creature that can go invisible and is believed to like to attack humans?" Rather because of being treated in an inhumane way or not, she didn't care, she would happily avoid the creature and never interact with it, "Supposed to be extremely dangerous and hard to defeat?"

No... She didn't like this lesson at all. Please don't tell her the professor had actually brought one to class?

..... Well. He wasn't getting a good vibe from this answer. Not at all.

"That's exactly it. They can turn invisible at will and like to prey on humans. Their invisibility is what makes them so difficult to defeat but, and this is important, there is always a way." Just saying. And it'll be something he'll go more into later on. "But well done. That's a concise and accurate answer about the Hidebehind."

Any more answers?

No? Moving on.

"Well done!" he said, clapping his hands once and turning to the class as a whole, "That was a great set of answers and it's clear that a lot of you have really thought this through." And probably done some extra reading or looked in their textbooks quickly just before answering.

"As many of you have said, the Hidebehind is a hybrid creature. It's the," Sigh. "lovechild of a Demiguise and a ghoul. This happened because of an illegal trader named Phinease Fletcher who tried to import European-based creatures, namely the Demiguise, and set up businesses in the New World, or what we know today as the United States. Unfortunately, a Demiguise escaped and mated with a Ghoul which, I speak for everyone when I say, was very surprising."

Anyways. "The Hidebehinds are currently based in the forests of Massachusetts but they could be anywhere. They can turn invisible, which makes them incredibly adept at hiding. To make this worse, they can actually contort their body into any shape needed to help them hide, especially behind the trees they lurk behind." Creepy. Very creepy. "They are roughly 6'0" in height, have silver hair, are very thin and, well, they prey on humans."

Breathe.

"Because of all of this, they are very difficult to track and you need great skill and perception to identify it. But there has been a case where they've been defeated. In the early 1620s, a Hidebehind captured a young Pukwudgie," They knew what that was, right? "and so, Isolt Satyre managed to chase it away and then went on to defeat it."

Dramatic pause?

"Defensively, I'd say the greatest challenge is trying to defeat something you can't see. So how do you solve the problem? By eliminating the invisibility part. You can't Reverto it but you can throw something at it. Mud, earth, paint, flour, smoke.... anything you have on you or you can conjure up that'll make you see where it is. It's simple but it's effective." Pause. "You could also trust your sense of hearing as well. And, as a last resort, Hidebehinds don't like the smell of alcohol but this presents more problems than it solves so I don't want anyone using alcohol today." Not to mention that they were underage.

"Anyways," he started, glancing down at his watch, "We don't have a lot of time left so let's move onto the main activity." At this, he took out his wand and flicked it towards the two unopened boxes causing them to, well, open up. One box contained a pair of goggles while the other one contained something that looked very much like a water gun.

Confused?

"I want everyone to come up and take a pair of goggles and a water gun. We're going to be having a water fight with a slight twist. You still have to hit as many people as possible but," Dramatic pause.... again. "when you put on the goggles, not only are they going to protect your eyes but they're also going to stop you from seeing anyone else in the room. You'll have to use your other senses to try and track the other people in the room and your sense of aim to hit them accurately." Much more exciting than being stuck in a dark room, wasn't it? "Oh, and by the way, anyone caught cheating and trying to sneak a peek beneath their goggles will be eliminated."

"I'm going to give you half an hour until the class closes. If you don't want to take part, come and stand behind my desk. As for the rest of you.... ready? Set?" Smile.

"GO!"

Did he have to mention constant vigilance?

OOC: ....... *gives out extra cookies to everyone who managed to read all of that holy crap Kita*

ANYWAYS.

It's MAIN ACTIVITY TIME! It's pretty simple: WATER FIGHT! The guns that they use will load itself with water. The goggles will prevent them from seeing anyone else in the room. Use this as an opportunity to interact with each other and play with anyone and everyone! Just have fun and don't RP for anyone else, okay? :3

You're also welcome to work on your own or in teams or whatever. It's completely up to you!

I'm going to give you until the 26th of July at 11:59pm GMT+1 to make as maaaaany posts as you want!

Have fun and nudge me if you need anything!

Thanks, lovelies