View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #53 (permalink)
hermionesclone
Gladrags Mod

DMC & DMAC
Pogrebin

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alexander River Hirsch
Gryffindor
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
--

Ministry RPG Name:
Zhuó Xiá Li

Ministry RPG Name:
Grayson Douglas Whitlock
Accidents & Catastrophes

x11 x11
urine trouble | Pat's Strong Confident Other Half | Pees Like a Champion Unicorn Racehorse

Text Cut: Emmalyn and co ^^
Text Cut: All of you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
Emmalyn continued to struggle and thrash around with the unknown attacker? She couldn't exactly call it an attacker since she was the one that initiated the attacking. Maybe that wasn't the best idea. However, she kept it up with all her mite. Then...nothing. The thing just simply stopped moving. She froze, arms still wrapped tight around it, and listened for any sort of clue that it was still alive. If it had been alive to begin with. There were far too many things it could have been to even start guessing.

Before she could figure out the state of health of her opponent, another door flew open and light was all around. Professor Hirsch was talking to them, directing them to get chocolate and water. Emmalyn, however, was unable to loosen her grip around the now known dummy. Her arms trembled and she was on the verge of bawling over the relief that she wasn't going to die and she hadn't just murdered anything.

The entire ordeal had ended far too abruptly for her to fully process that it was just a staged test of her reactions. The disappearance of the walls around and the new light flooding in made her squint while her eyes adjusted to the brightness.

Her mind was faster in rejoining reality than her body. As she lay on the floor, arms still tightly wrapped around the dummy, all that ran through her mind was that the next time she'd be sure to lead with a punch or a kick before flinging herself upon a possible attacker. If she'd only disorientated her opponent first, it wouldn't have been able to fight back as hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Banana View Post
It was then that she noticed Emmalyn, lying somewhat lifelessly on the floor. "Professor! Emmalyn!" she said. She abandoned her treats and stood looking toward the girl. She didn't know whether to run to her side or to wait for someone more experienced to help out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
Well he did until he saw someone laying on the ground, oh no, "EMMALYN?" He looked at Chloe who had equally shouted Emmalyn's name and then at Hirsch in hopes that since he was the adult in the room would handle it. But poor Emmalyn was his friend and he didn't want to see her hurt. Before he realized what he was doing he was taking the piece of chocolate he had grabbed and walked closer to Emmalyn hoping that maybe some chocolate would bring her back to the group. "Emmalyn? You okay? Have some chocolate." he mentioned as he left the chocolate within her reach and a nervous smile on his face.

Leave it to Patrick to have zero fear once the activity was over.

........ Uh.

Oh no.

Hirsch paled, first at the sound of Miss Kemp calling his name and then at the sight she was referring to. This was not good in the slightest. It almost brought back memories of things that had happened within this very castle that he had happily placed in a box in the back of his mind. And now....

The man swore under his breath in German as he picked up a glass of water and made his way over towards Miss Walsh and Mr Dooley, who'd brought the chocolate. He knelt on the floor beside her, placing the glass of water down on the floor next to the chocolate. "Emmalyn? Emmalyn, can you hear me?" he asked softly, giving her shoulder a slight shake, "You're completely safe, nothing is going to hurt you in here." Which was ironic given the name of the subject he taught.

"How about we start with taking some deep breaths? And then you can have some of the things we've brought for you. There's water," Which was not very exciting. "And Mr Dooley here's even given you his chocolate."

Text Cut: You guuuuys <3
Text Cut: Jessa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
What.....in Merlin’s beard.......was that.....?

Jessa squinted into the darkness, noting the subtle darkening in shade that suggested—or rather confirmed—the presence of something else in the room. It wasn’t fear that gripped her, but intrigue. Now she wished even more she could’ve introduced some light and a part of her wanted to be IN there to get a first hand examination done but she would settle for what she could get.

The shuffling continued to get louder and the Ravenclaw could feel her own muscles tensing with anticipation as if she was the one in harm’s way.

Then it was all over.

Wait what...?

Jessa placed a hand over the eye that connected to Jane’s and watched as the room opened up before her. The walls came down, a wide room opened up and there standing by a table with the usual mats placed all around was the Professor. Was the exercise over already?

With a hand still over her left eye to once again prevent the double vision, Jessa got up from her spot on the floor and moved closer for the official beginning of the lesson. On the way to the Professor she collected her doll, inspecting her briefly to ensure the unseen entity hadn’t gotten to her in some way. It was yet another disadvantage. Her skin wasn’t connected to that of the doll’s. She’d never be able to get an entirely accurate feel for any situation by sending Jane.

Not particularly traumatised, Jessa decided against the refreshments, instead tapping her eye to end the charm and return her vision to normal. “I’d be more prepared, I think. This exercise has taught me that while Jane serves her purpose of surveillance, I may need to tinker with her charms a bit to make her more versatile. Either that or animate another doll specifically for circumstances that require a fully functional witch or wizard—at the very least a doll with greater ability for interaction.”

Probably not what he meant but it WAS what she learned and now she had a new project to work on.

And Jessa gave an answer that was slightly unrelated to the question. Slightly.

Was Hirsch confused about the answer? Yes. Was he surprised? Absolutely not.

The man furrowed his eyebrows in thought, glancing between her and the doll she had brought along. At first, he was confused as to why she'd left the classroom so suddenly but the appearance of the doll had made a bit more sense. This was Jessa Cambridge, after all.

But her answer? Her answer took a little bit longer to take in than normal. Something that stuck out the most to him was the last phrase she had just said. "Very interesting answer, Jessa, and very clever use of something else to make you look into a situation without being there yourself." It was a safe option but a very clever one. "I'm curious: when you say 'a doll with greater ability for interaction', what do you mean? How do you want to improve the level of interaction you had in the room?"

Text Cut: Chloe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
The door opened and Chloe skipped out into the big room. She didn't seem shaken, although Chloe wasn't one for showing negative emotions. It was a good sign that she took the water and chocolate without question and settled on a mat without a word.

"I think I might be afraid of the dark now, sir. Does that count?" Chloe nibbled the edge of her chocolate. It had a toffee crunch in it, and it made her happy... but it didn't quite dispel how uneasy the darkness had made her.

Well.

Hirsch didn't know what to say to this. This was coming from the same girl who skipped into the room, right? But something told him that this wasn't a joke and not something Miss Kettleburn was using as a way of covering up for something else which was what made this..... worse.

"Well, er," he started, adjusting his glasses, "I apologise for that. Were you scared of not knowing what's in the dark or the fact that you can't see what's in the dark?" Though, she didn't have to answer that but it was also relevant to the lesson as a whole.

Text Cut: Maddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Banana View Post
Maddie waited for the sunlight from her spell to come. She was starting to think there might be a Devil's Snare shuffling around in here with her, and if there was, the sunlight should get it. At first, when the light did come, she thought her spell had finally worked. Panic rose inside of her once again, as she prepared herself to face the Devil's Snare.

Only, none of the above happened.

Except for the light. There was light, but it hadn't come from her wand. Everything fell into place, as the Hufflepuff adjusted her eyes to the new scene before her. A dummy?! Had she known that, she would have used Immobulus a long time ago!

Also--oh, heyyy, Professor! "That was fun! Can we do it again?!" she greeted. Now that she knew there'd been a dummy in the room with her, she had so many new ideas! "Thanks for the chocolate and water!" Her energy was returning to her now that she knew she wasn't going to die alone in some mysterious room in the castle. She grabbed a selection of refreshments then headed into the much more welcoming classroom.

So what did she learn? She raised her hand. "Had I known that had been a dummy in the room with me, I'd have cast...maybe Immobulus? Something in the back of my head thought maybe you were in the room, too, and no way am I casting on a professor! Plus, I didn't think it'd be too smart to cast when I didn't know what I was casting on," she said. "I think I'd like to be better prepared, too. Why wouldn't any light spells work? What would we do if that happened to us outside of class?"

It was then that she noticed Emmalyn, lying somewhat lifelessly on the floor. "Professor! Emmalyn!" she said. She abandoned her treats and stood looking toward the girl. She didn't know whether to run to her side or to wait for someone more experienced to help out.

Again? She wanted to face the dark room again?!

The students were full of surprising reactions today. Really.

"You're very welcome, Miss Kemp. And you're going to do something.... similar." Though, not quite. And that was all he was going to say about that.

Her answer? Her answer had earned her a dimpled!smile from the Defence Professor. "I'm touched you didn't want to cast on me and I'm glad you thought about what it is you might've been facing. Immobulus would've been a good choice of spell to use, the only problem would've been getting the target right because, well, you can't see what it is you're facing." Something he'll touch on later. "That was my magic. I wanted you all to face a situation where you can't always rely on your eyes or light to guide you." Something he'll also get onto later. "Well done!"

Text Cut: Stasya
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTiger View Post
So far the only thing Stasya had learned from the activity, since she was hoping that’s what the little creepy dark room/shuffling mystery being was, was that no matter how many times she cast the charm and added to her little bluebell campfire, the room didn’t really get any lighter. At least, not in a ‘now I know what exactly is lurking in the room with me because I can see it’ way. Although… had the shadowy figure actually stopped when she’d asked if it liked cookies. Because she was totally willing to sacrifice some of her stash if it meant being left alone…

The shuffler was obviously keeping away from her, though, so maybe it didn’t like cookies. Or tall blonde fourth year prefects, hopefully. She was staying ready for anything either way, except she really hadn’t expected her surroundings to basically melt away gradually, let alone the door to freedom that had opened up in front of herself. The fact the shuffler had been revealed to be a dummy answered several of her questions, in any case. Plus, now she knew where Professor Hirsch was.

“Hi Professor Hirsch,” she said, giving him a grin as she walked up to help herself to a piece of chocolate and a glass of water. For once, she wasn’t going to question if the offering had an ulterior motive, since she trusted him.

Hmm… going to take a seat on a mat and nibbling on the chocolate, she thought about the questions. “I learned that it’s better to do whatever it takes to stay calm in a strange situation?”, she offered after a moment. That and it doesn’t hurt to distract whatever is stalking her. Not that she particularly wanted to be stalked by mystery beings in the darkness ever again.

The grin was returned with a dimpled!smile of his own. "Hey, Stasya."

This answer? This answer was probably the least surprising of the ones he'd received and one that immediately made his face light up. "Exactly. This is exactly it! It's human nature to panic in a situation like this, everyone would do it, but under a panicked state, you're more likely to be off-target and not have as much confidence as you might do if you were feeling calmer." Which, of course, wasn't the same for everyone but this was generally the case.

"Well done, by the way."

Text Cut: Dorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyLinJi View Post
After his out cry of wanting to be let out of the room, a door in front of him opened up and without even waiting for a second longer, the very brave Ravenclaw dashed towards the door and got out. Only when he was out of the room did he look back and saw that the rooms were vanishing and it was revealed that the attacker had been.....a dummy.

A DUMMY!

He felt his whole face burn up in embarrasment and shame when he realised this. The only thing that kept him a bit more sane was the fact that it had been dark when he had screamed so probably no one knew that it had been him. But he knew, and his Head of House as well which was far more embarrassing than the students knowing.

He turned his back to the place where the rooms had been and saw the Professor standing there next to the desk. For the first time ever, Dorian did not greet the man. He held his head low and silently walked over to the table that had water and slabs of chocolate and picked up not 1 but 2 pieces.

He needed it, ok?

Again without saying a word or even giving the Professor a glance, the third year began to eat the chocolate in silence. He only looked up when a question had been asked but he did not bother answering. The only thing he learned was that he was officially a coward and that he did not like the Professor at the moment.

Did Hirsch blame him for taking two pieces of chocolate? No. Did he judge him for it? Not at all.

But he did give him a very curious look. The lack of greeting was, well, it was noted. It was a questionable period in the boy's life so this could be put down to teenage hormones acting up. But then there was the silence and something.... made him feel uneasy.

He shouldn't be concerned, right?

Text Cut: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
Patrick smiled. It looked as if each of his classmates had seen a ghost and he had been smart enough to stay out of harms way this time around. "I feel like this activity taught me that I know what my bounds are, and that maybe eventually I'll have the skills that the other students in the room have." He was trying to down play his fears.

Maybe he should have gotten a bit braver and just gone into the room.

Well he did until he saw someone laying on the ground, oh no, "EMMALYN?" He looked at Chloe who had equally shouted Emmalyn's name and then at Hirsch in hopes that since he was the adult in the room would handle it. But poor Emmalyn was his friend and he didn't want to see her hurt. Before he realized what he was doing he was taking the piece of chocolate he had grabbed and walked closer to Emmalyn hoping that maybe some chocolate would bring her back to the group. "Emmalyn? You okay? Have some chocolate." he mentioned as he left the chocolate within her reach and a nervous smile on his face.

Leave it to Patrick to have zero fear once the activity was over.

This was..... an interesting answer.

"You have plenty of time to hone your magic and gain the skills you need. No one in this room has started off knowing everything about Defence and magic, including myself." He did spend a lot of time in detention, after all, but that wasn't the point. "You're literally here to learn and figure out what it is you can do and what it is you need to improve on. If you fail along the way, it's just part of the learning process." Something to think about.

"Just keep working on it and you will have the skills you need."

When it looked like no one else was going to answer, Hirsch turned to the class as a whole. "An interesting set of answers, I have to say." Some were more unexpected than others but that wasn't the point.

"I owe you an explanation," he started, "We, as humans, rely very much on our sense of sight. It's not the strongest of our senses but it's the one we use all the time and the one we rely on to get us out of difficult or dangerous situations. Being without it would be incredibly difficult to live without."

Pause.

"But there are certain situations where the conditions might be too dark or whatever you're facing against is invisible or you simply cannot see what you're up against. Because of this, we can't always rely on our sense of sight and we have to use our other senses to help us out of that situation." Something a few of them did do, which he was very happy about. "A lot of you tried to add light to the situation, literally, to try and see and I don't blame you. But, bear in mind that that doesn't always work. You need to learn to use your senses collectively in a defensive situation. Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean you can't defeat it." Was he making any sense?

"Now, an example of a situation where you'd use this is against a dark creature called a Hidebehind." Did they see where he was going with this? "Before I start talking too much again, what can you tell me about the Hidebehind?"

OOC: *gives out cookies to everyone who managed to read all of that*

Great set of answers, you guys! This next question is super simple: what do you know about the Hidebehind? Please try not to copy something someone else has already said. And weird and whacky answers are aaaaaalways welcome ^^

If any of this doesn't make sense, please feel free to give me a nudge and I'd be happy to go through it with you <3

I'll continue the lesson tomorrow at roughly 10pm GMT+1.

Thanks, lovelies