View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Text Cut: Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Daisy stood beside a supply pile with a tent since she didn't have one of her own. She was feeling quite excited about the trip and beamed as Professor Marchand asked the question about a certain spell. Raising her hand, Daisy answered, "Well I did use the Undetectable Extension Charm on my bags in order to fit everything."

Daisy's hand was the first Gaston saw go up, and he called on her. So she'd already used the Undetectable Extension Charm. He was impressed... if not also slightly worried, given the rules regarding those spells. He wouldn't want her to get into trouble! "Well, it seems you're a bit ahead of the game then, Miss Swann!" he said with a small smile. "Nicely done."

Text Cut: Emmalyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
At the announcement of class starting, Emmalyn stopped chatting with her friends and focused her attention on the professors. She needed to pick a pile. Tent or no tent was the only real difference between them. Worried about not having a place to sleep, she skipped over to a supply pile containing a tent and staked her claim. If only she knew the proper charm to put on the bag to get it all to fit.

After Daisy answered, she put her hand in the air. "I know there is one, but I can't recall the name. I think it makes the bag bigger inside, or maybe it makes the supplies smaller? One of those." She shrugged her shoulders and grinned, hoping the professors were at least happy she was trying. Plus, it was after seven in the evening and there were snacks calling her name. She discovered it was even harder to focus on charms when her stomach was growling.

Only moments later, Gaston saw Emmalyn's hand in the air. He listened intently to what she had to say, nodding approvingly. "I believe you're thinking of two different spells," he said, returning her grin. "The one to make the bag bigger is the Undetectable Extension Charm; the one that makes the supplies smaller is the Shrinking Charm. Either one would be useful today, though in the case of the shrinking charm, we'd need an additional spell to return the supplies to their normal size. Excellent answer, Miss Walsh!"

Text Cut: Dorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyLinJi View Post
Morning, evening, tomato tomato..

With his eyes closed and his head leaning against the wall, Dorian did not see the other students entering however he did recognise Rylee's voice. They were friends, of course he would recognise it even with his eyes closed. "Hey Rosie" he replied. The house elf given nicknames were really sticking weren't they? He didn't mind though.

He could hear more students entering the room but still didn't bother opening his eyes. Even when the professor asked a question, the Ravenclaw lazily held up his hand "Undetectable extension charm" he answered and only when he had to do something physical did he open his eyes and...well he didn't get up on fo his feet. He stayed seated and used his legs to shuffle forward on his behind until he was at a bag nearby. "Mine"

Gaston was hoping Dorian would wake up a bit once the lesson began, but that didn't appear to be the case. He couldn't help but notice that he boy still hadn't opened his eyes as he answered the question. He glanced at him with concern; he was going to keep an extra close eye on this one during the trip! "Very good, Mr. Katharos," he said, nodding in reply to the answer.

Text Cut: Skylar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Skylar gave a small smile at the younger teammate of hers; he had done great wielding the bat last match and honestly, as captain and seventh year, at least she felt proud of something. He was going to be great, Skylar was sure of it. But for now, after acknowledging Stasya's wave and then the two professors greeting her, Skylar felt guilty at Marchand's question. How as she? That was a much more complicated question than it should have been and every day was a learning process, of her trying to figure things out, to be responsible. It was a constant struggle, really, and as she sorted through the millions of thoughts, she was grateful that they were moving on. Perhaps she'd discuss with him later. Or not. It all depended.

Undetectable expansion charm. Yes, but there were other charms too that could be useful. Unrelated, but as she found last August when packing for school, the simple packing charm was extremely helpful as she'd been of age to use it for the first time.

"Reducio, shrinking the objects could be used as well."

Skylar also got a quick concerned look from the professor. Was it just him or did she sema bit... off? Gaston reasoned she was probably stressed about her upcoming NEWTs. Whatever was going on, he hoped she knew she could come to him any time she wanted. The answer she gave got an approving beam. "Yes, that would certainly make everything fit in the bag," he said, impressed that she'd come up with such a unique answer. "Thank you, Miss Diggory."

Text Cut: Maddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Banana View Post
Maddie had been, believe it or not, somewhat quiet up until this point. She liked her Saturdays off---a LOT. She had wanted to sleep in and pretty much do nothing all day, but apparently two of her professor's had different ideas. At first, Maddie wasn't really excited about coming to class today. Now that things were underway, and she had an idea what was happening, she was SUPER EXCITED.

"I'm going to agree with the people saying Undetectable Extension Charm," she said, her hand in the air. "I remember reading about how Hermione Granger once used it to fit a ton of stuff in a handbag, and it seems to be really similar to what we need to do today." Even still, Maddie had no idea how to cast an Undetectable Extension Charm. As she thought about that, she moved to stand beside a supply pile. Now then. This one was officially claimed.

Here was another answer that had Gaston impressed! Not only had Maddie given a correct answer, but she'd also provided a historical example. He beamed, nodding in reply to her. "Very good, Miss Kemp," he said. "Thank you for adding that bit of historical information as well - you're correct, by the way. Hermione Granger used an Undetectable Extension Charm so she could carry all the supplies she thought she'd need on the hunt for Voldemort's Horcruxes."

Text Cut: Chloe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
So Chloe had already sort of claimed a pile, since she'd been examining one (but no touching)... that made the pile hers. Chloe crouched beside it and gently began touching everything with light fingertips, mentally making an inventory of what the professors wanted them to have for this trip.

Oh, hmm? "What about pack? Like, my mum always helps me get my trunk ready, and it just sort of sorts itself out like a puzzle having the pieces arrange themselves."

Gaston watched with a slight smile as Chloe examined the supplies in her pile; nothing wrong with curiosity! His smile grew wider as he listened to her answer. "That's a useful spell indeed, Miss Kettleburn," he said, beaming. And he would know; that spell saved him countless hours packing his trunk over the summer, which meant more time for his wife and daughter. "Though a packing charm alone wouldn't make objects fit into a container too small to hold them; we'd need to make the bag larger or the supplies smaller first. Kudos on the original answer!"

[textcut= Slate]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFox06 View Post
Slate was excited. Camping was fun and he hadn't been in years. He shot Juni the occasional excited grin as he waited rather impatiently for the fun to get started.

Too bad it was attached to a lesson.

At least it was charms though. That was an upside. He raised his hand, "What about an expansion or enlarging charm?" he suggested. Which, maybe wasn't that much different than an extension one? Other than, he guessed, the results would be pretty visible.
[/textcut

Gaston called on Slate upon seeing his hand up, and the answer earned a smile and approving nod from the professor. "Yes, Mr. Ryker, that would certainly work," he replied, "though as a matter of interest, were you thinking of the enlargement charm Engorgio or the enlarging spell variation of the Undetectable Extension Charm that is sometimes used to make vehicles, such as cars, accomodate more people? Either spell would work, though Engorgio would be much less inconspicuous."

Text Cut: Septimus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmesian Feline View Post
Oh goody! They were about to begin.

Septimus was going to ignore the snacks for now, deciding to save them for later when they were actually away on their trip. Instead he simply stood by a pile of supplies as directed, briefly noting the absence of a tent or pieces of a tent in his selection. Oh well, he thought to himself with a shrug. The weather was alright to not totally need one. And Professor Marchand had already mentioned it wasn’t necessary for them all to have one.

As for the packing, the second year noticed the small bag when the act was mentioned. Too small for everything for sure. The spell escaped him but apparently not some of his classmates as they spoke up in answer to the posed question. Extension charm. Undetectable extension charm that is. Something to give the bag the effects of a Mary Poppins-type pack. Shrinking worked well enough two, the Ravenclaw supposed, but he was for the extension charm.

Ah, here was a quiet one. No matter... maybe the boy would have something to say later on. The important thing was that he appeared to be paying attention. Gaston gave Septimus a quick encouraging smile before moving on.

Gaston cast a quick glance back at Kay, returning her grin, and he had to cough to stifle a giggle as she "modeled" the supplies as he mentioned them. After all the answers had come in, he gave another few seconds for the students to turn their attention back to him before speaking, "Well done, class! All of the spells you mentioned would help us pack our supplies, but, as most of you guessed, today we'll be practicing the Undetectable Extension charm."

He paused a moment before going on, "The effects of this spell are threefold: it enlarges the interior area of the object without affecting the exterior, makes the contents of the object lighter, and, as the name implies, magically disguises itself from all but the caster. The enlargement spell is a variation of this, but the spells differ in that the Undetectable Extension charm hides itself, wears off slower, and is much more difficult to cast. Miss Kemp mentioned earlier that Hermione Granger once used this spell; other notable historical examples of its use include Newt Scammander's famous suitcase and Arthur Weasley's flying Ford Anglia." Merlin, he would've loved to have that... but this wasn't the time to have a fanboy moment over flying classic cars.

Gaston waited a minute to give the students time to absorb the information, then continued, "Theoretically, one could fit a hundred wizards into one bathroom using this spell. For this reason, it raises concerns over the Statute of Secrecy and is heavily regulated by the Ministry. Under normal circumstances, the spell is only to be used in the manufacture of objects approved by the Ministry, but we have a special exception for teaching purposes. The small bags beside your supply piles were originally made with an Undetectable Extension Charm in place, but I've removed it for the purpose of the lesson. Your job is to place the charm back on the bags, and pack your supplies into them."

He removed his wand from its holster and summoned one of the bags from a vacnat supply pile. "To cast the Undetectable extension Charm, point your wand at the bag and say the incantation Capacious extremis," he said, and with a wave of his wand, the incantation and pronunciation appeared in big letters on the blackboard. He turned his attention back to the bag, once again aiming his wand. "Capacious extremis." He picked up a nearby sleeping bag that appeared trice the size of the bag and easily placed it inside to demonstrate the effects of the spell.

"I'll give you time to practice the Undetectable Extention Charm on your bag - ONLY use this spell on the bag provided with your supply pile!" he explained the activity. "Once you're done, pack your bag and wait until the others finish; then we'll be on our way to the campground!" Oh, one last thing... "Packing with magic is not required for full credit, but if you want to try it, the spell is, as Miss Kettleburn mentioned, pack; the wand movement is a simple point." He performed the spell on the same bag he'd used for his other demonstration, and the supplies from the vacant pile fitted themselves into the space inside. "You have fifteen minutes starting... NOW!"

OOC: Mini activity time! All you have to do for full credit is attempt the Undetectable Extension Charm on your bag and pack all the supplies in your pile, either manually or magically. If you have questions, please indicate in the title of your post, and Ali or I will reply asap. You have BETWEEN 60 - 72 HOURS (3 PM July 15 - 3 AM EDT July 16 ) to finish; then Ali will move us on to the next part.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...