View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 09:28 PM

Post J.K. Rowling confirms current work on 'Fantastic Beasts' 3 script, writing processes

J.K. Rowling updated her official website to answer a few frequently asked questions, including and especially what she's writing at the present time. The Harry Potter author confirmed she has completed the fourth Galbraith crime novel, Lethal White, and is well underway on the third installment of the Fantastic Beasts screenplays.

Quote:
What are you writing right now?
J.K. Rowling:
I’ve just finished the fourth Galbraith novel, Lethal White, and I’m now writing the screenplay for Fantastic Beasts 3. After that I’ll be writing another book for children. I’ve been playing with the (non-Harry Potter/wizarding world) story for about six years, so it’s about time I get it down on paper.
J.K. Rowling's role as a film producer for the Fantastic Beasts series:

Quote:
Warner Bros and David Yates, the director, have always let me have my say, though not necessarily the final word. That’s true of all the producers, of whom I’m only one: our input is taken seriously but it is very much a collaborative effort. The director is ultimately responsible for everything that’s seen on the screen. As the screenwriter, the majority of my input comes at an earlier stage.
J.K. Rowling as a collaborator with the likes of directors David Yates and John Tiffany, screenwriter Steve Kloves, and a a select few more:

Quote:
However, at the heart of the process is a very similar collaboration to the one I had on Cursed Child, this time with David Yates, the director, and Steve Kloves, who was the writer on seven of the eight Potter films and is a producer on Beasts.

In spite of the fact that I’d watched Steve close up for all those years, I found screenwriting utterly different from novel writing and very challenging at first. Basically, I learned how to write a screenplay as I went along, knowing that the movie was definitely going to be made, which is, to say the least, atypical. Steve gives great, pithy notes. The one that made me laugh longest was when I had a character in a cut scene in an early draft say, ‘They’re children!’. He said, ‘Yeah, unless we’ve got the casting badly wrong, that’ll probably be obvious.’

David knows the world of Potter intimately now, after directing four of the eight original movies. I love working with him. I learn a lot just listening to him talk about images. Even though I have a highly visual imagination, I’ve had to learn just how much can be said onscreen without a word, and David and Steve have taught me that.
More about Rowling's daily writing routine and other collaborative tidbits can be read on her site.