View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Post 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Broadway cast & crew celebrate Tony nominations

Soon after the announcement of the 2018 Tony awards nominations, several team members recognized from the Broadway production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child voiced their joy and thanks at the accolades.

Among those nominated were actors Jamie Parker (lead actor), Noma Dumezweni (featured actress), and Anthony Boyle (featured actor), and playwright Jack Thorne (best play).

Quote:
“This is like some excruciating teenaged day dream that you’d be mortified if anyone found out about it even 25 years later. I’m literally the only person here I’ve never heard of. Tonys, what the hell? Thanks, by the way. That was very lovely of you. Let me say also to the Tony nominators thanks for acknowledging every possible corner of the production they could. The whole team is world class and every last one of them deserves a late night special of their own. Thanks for recognizing them as a whole group, I wouldn’t want to be on this ride with anyone else.” —Jamie Parker, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2, Nominated in Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play

Quote:
“I’m in awe of the company I’m nominated alongside—Susan, Deborah, and Denise—who I’ve shared the stage with in the past and would kill to do so again...! Fingers crossed. Ms. Metcalf—can I just stand next to you?! What an effing honor, especially for HP&CC Company. UBUNTU!!! Thank you Tony people.” — Noma Dumezweni, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2, Nominated in Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play

Quote:
“I was so nervous! I was biting my nails and refreshing the Facebook page over and over. I’m blown away, truly honored to be in such amazing company.” —Anthony Boyle, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2, Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play
More quotes from the team via Playbill:

Quote:
“It’s ridiculous. I’m absolutely entirely discombobulated, but so excited and so happy for everyone else getting recognized. It’s been a long journey with this play in lots of ways, and all these people have been with us for a very, very long time, so it’s lovely to get to this point and people be so nice about it.” — Jack Thorne, Playwright, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two, Nominated for Best Play
Quote:
“I’m chuffed to bits about the nomination today. The idea of choreography is changing enormously and the Tony committee acknowledging Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in this way is a huge recognition of choreographers all over the world who are bringing their artistry to shows that might not always be a musical. It’s a thrilling time for choreographers and I’m very proud to be a part of this.” — Steven Hoggett, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2, Nominated for Best Choreography
Quote:
“I woke up this morning to my phone buzzing with lovely notes of congrats, and am now celebrating with lattes with beloved friends. I’m mainly overjoyed for all my co-conspirators on Harry Potter and to get to share this extra bit of magic with my kids.” — Christine Jones, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two, Nominated for Best Scenic Design of a Play
Quote:
“It’s very exciting to be nominated. This has been our first year back with sound design as a competitive category, so we’re thankful to the Broadway League for reinstating those awards. It’s exciting to be in the first batch of people nominated. We’ve done very well. We’re back in London re-teching Harry Potter, so we’re all in the same room and we all basically heard [the news] at the same time, which was very cool.”—Gareth Fry, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2, Nominated in Best Sound Design of a Play
The 72nd annual Tony Awards, hosted by Sara Bareilles and Josh Groban, will be broadcast June 10 on CBS, live from Radio City Music Hall in New York City.