View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #136 (permalink)
FearlessLeader19
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo
International Cooperation

x12 x12
~ Mrs. Steve Harrington ~ It be like that sometimes.

SPOILER!!: Sky! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Oh... hmm... so apparently the diagonal stitching was noticeable enough that Professor Stewart noticed. Nodding at the woman, she bit her lip, reminding herself that it was muggle studies and so a seam ripper was needed. Selecting one, she wiggled it underneath the seam and worked her way through to break the stitching and pull the thread away from the fabric. Okay, she could do this.

Focus. Holding the fabric, she lightly pressed the pedal, guiding slowly along the metal plate and taking extra care this time to do it much straighter. It wasn't perfect and honestly, the fabric pattern wasn't that fashionable per the sixth year's opinion, but it was according to the instructions. Inserting the cuff into the top and jabbing a pin into it to hold it together, she slid the fabric onto the machine again to stitch the cuff all the way around.

Only. Somehow it got caught and stitched the hat slightly closed. Not all the way closed, but it was enough? Oops? She wasn't going to be a seamstress; at least she could cross that off her list of possible career choices. Taking her seam ripper again, she wedged into where the would-be opening and carefully removed some stitches. Okay, take two... carefully inserting it so just the fabric and the cuff... fitting the hat over the machine more properly this time, which was something she had apparently failed to do the first time, she slowly pressed the foot pedal. And guided the fabric around the front of the machine. Take two, complete.

Now, taking the two corners, she pressed them together and slid that under where the needle was as well, again pressing the foot pedal and sliding the fabric back and forth. Back and forth. Done! And flip the hat right side out and huh, it actually wasn't that bad looking, but again, no thanks to being a seamstress.

Dos and donts of mingling with muggles? Raising her hand thoughtfully after a moment, she spoke up, "I think adapting to muggle fashion is one of the dos. We want to make sure we assimilate into the culture and knowing like if its appropriate to wear heels or to keep ones skin covered is one of those dos. Research is important. You don't want to offend, but also, it's about respect too." Okay, so that maybe touched on a completely different tangent, but it was kind of related, yes?

“Wonderfully put. Ms Diggory is absolutely correct. Especially if you’re visiting another country, where cultures are different, you’ll want to find out what is appropriate there. That way, you’ll be showing your respect as well as you’ll be blending in.’’

SPOILER!!: Night! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionegold View Post
Text Cut: Professor Stewart
“I’m so proud of you all. Though this is the first attempt at for many of you, you did a great job.’’ Kay paused here to beam around at them all. “The beanie is yours for the keeping or you can gift it to someone else. Before I close our lesson, I have just one last question. When it comes to mingling in with muggles, what are some of the dos and don’ts. Meaning, what would you and would you not wear that you do in the Wizarding world. This isn’t only limited to clothing but also accesories.’’

Night had never really considered this aspect of things, coming from a Muggle family herself. However, she knew a lot about do's and don'ts in the Muggle world. Would voicing those make any difference?

"Well, I'm kind of new at this wizard stuff, but I think there are a lot of do's and don'ts in the Muggle world, too. Like, for instance, you don't wear socks with sandals generally, or more than one pattern in an outfit, because that hurts people's eyes." A lot of that was probably pretty universal, wizard or Muggle. "Also, you don't wear shorts in the winter. I imagine that could be a specific thing not to do as a wizard around Muggles, as well, because there's probably some charm you could do to make your body not get cold,
and then Muggles would think there's something weird going on.
"

“Even though some love that sandals and socks looks.’’ Kay winked. It wasn’t something she would wear but some were comfortable with that. “I see where you’re coming from. They would think you’re crazy for wearing shorts but a witch or wizard would secretly know that they’re not being affected. I like that train of thought, Ms Dixon.’’

SPOILER!!: Lyn, Hattie, Bel, Daehyun! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
Emmalyn nodded in agreement as she listened to Night talk about fashion. She had some very good points. Socks with sandals...her dad used to do that all of the time. He would even wear black socks with them. The ultimate fashion no no.

"I would assume that witches and wizards shouldn't wear robes or quidditch team gear around the muggles. That would catch some attention. Well, unless it was Halloween, then it would be just fine." She tried to think of other wizarding world items that shouldn't be around muggles, but she, like Night, was very new to it. "I guess you shouldn't bring along your broom or have your wand out, but those aren't really fashion items. I guess you could count them as accessories though." She rubbed her temples trying to spark an idea, but nothing else was coming to her.

Emmalyn used the time listening to other students answers to tidy up her work area. She carefully put away all of the straight pins and folded up the remaining fabric for use another day. The little bits of thread were put in a pile to be thrown away at the end of class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieRu View Post
Harriet was actually really enjoying this. For once it was pretty interesting, and it made a change from all the controversial topics that had been discussed last year in their muggle studies lesson. So yep. Hattie was pretty happy, she was also pretty happy with how her little hat was shaping up. It seemed to be going well. And that was happy. She also was nearly done, and that made her happy! She carefully inserted the cuff of her hat, aligning the seams, and cutting the edges carefully as she went. She then made sure all the pins were joining the two things together well, she didn't want it to end up pinned in the wrong place. That would just not do.

She took the hat, and put it on the machine, before she began to sew, carefully removing each pin as she came to them. she didn't want to break the machine by sewing over a pin. That would be terrible! She stitched all around the hat, making sure she didn't miss any sections. She didn't want to have a hole in her hat, her head would get cold then, and it would be bad. But she was careful to make sure there were no holes. She finally, took the two corners, and put them together so they overlapped. And then she did a few forward and back steps so that they were sewed together nicely. She flipped the hat the right way round, and she had it. Yay! It was done, and it looked well.

She looked up, thinking about the question that the professor was asking. "Well.... it would be good to not wear our robes around muggles. They don't do that, and would probably think it was very strange indeed" And so they really did not need that happening. So no robes.
[QUOTE=Tegz;12307826]

"Oh sorry." Bel covered her mouth and laughed sheepishly. She wasn't trying to imply anything but that explanation had made sense. Liv did that mother hen thing then.

Myers was a great head of house, Bel agreed. She especially liked the bit where he was a professor for one of the best subjects, it made it a lot easier to appreciate him really.

"Scarecrow will be fun, you'll get the best costume at least, I think!" Yeah! The most interesting one. "It will be bonza to watch you."

Aaand........ the older girl was helping her again. Bel lifted her foot off the pedal apologetically and watched as Liv fixed it up for her.

"More fleece. Right. I feel bad for wasting it." Really, she felt bad that she wasn't doing a good enough job. But she was still going to try.

Oh good, she was doing a good job. Bel was happy to hear it despite not feeling like she was doing as great as most people. She was at least trying. And she'd been right with her answer too, the science in fashion thing.

The extra help from Olivia plus the explanation of putting the foot down on the machine did help a bit and Bel went back to measuring and cutting her new piece of fleece. Pinning was easy enough but then she was back to the hard bit.

.... and this time she put the foot down to hold it in place. Bel poked her tongue out a bit and tried to sew straight, that little... back stitchy thing. One inch. All of that. Was it good enough? She looked at Olivia to check it out and then, with the sewn pieces, it was time to do some more pinning wasn't it?

She pinned the two bits together, the cuff bit on the inside and the seam lined up and then eyed the machine again. Oh boy. Time for more sewing. So intimidating. She was only a bit behind though right? Only a bit?

SPOILER!!: prof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post

“Excellent! You may see me before you leave.’’ Kay was only too pleased to give the fleece away so that Olivia can put them to use. And was that Mulan she heard? Yes, it definitely was. Smiling to herself, she observed the Gryffindor work. It was amazing just how good at this Olivia already was. Like a pro.

“I’m so proud of you all. Though this is the first attempt at for many of you, you did a great job.’’ Kay paused here to beam around at them all. “The beanie is yours for the keeping or you can gift it to someone else. Before I close our lesson, I have just one last question. When it comes to mingling in with muggles, what are some of the dos and don’ts. Meaning, what would you and would you not wear that you do in the Wizarding world. This isn’t only limited to clothing but also accesories.’’

OOC: Hey, guys! So we’re wrapping up the lesson now. You may finish off the activity as well. This is the LAST call to complete this. You have 24 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debpetrisor View Post
They were all done!

... but Daehyun was definitely not wearing that beanie in public, nor was he going to gift it to anyone else. No way. Though he could work on his stitching skills until he mastered it, and that would make a nice, personalized gift.

As for mingling in with muggles, he raised his hand. "I'd say no pointy hats, though they do seem to like to dress up as witches and wizards on Halloween." Though he scrunched his nose at the thought, because witches didn't have straggly hair and huge moles and the overly crooked noses that muggles believed. Well, most didn't. But all in all, muggles sure had a weird picture of what witches and wizards looked like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post

Well, Bel might not be finished, but she could answer the professor's question at least. Her beanie was still needing to be sewn into the one piece, and then connected across the top. She put her hand up to answer though. "Professor, I know that there's laws about not wearing things that might upset the statute but I think a lot of the typical wizarding wear like robes and pointy hats probably you actually could get away with wearing now? Muggles would think you're a few sammies short of a picnic maybe, but some might think you're really fashionable and pioneering, and start copying you. I don't think they would immediately think you're magical. Not much fazes muggles really, and people don't get burned at the stake anymore. I think the only things you couldn't wear are enchanted items, stuff that does things that muggles wouldn't believe, like headless hats for instance."

Erm... she wasn't going to finish this hat was she?
[/spoiler

“Right. Robes, quidditch gear, pointy hats should not be worn. During the fall of Voldemort after he tried to kill little Harry Potter, the wizarding world went amok with joy. They did not think twice of wearing robes. Like Ms Macindoe pointed out, Muggles who saw them thought they were not right in the head. Indeed things have changed a lot now and Muggles are sometimes more open to accepting the unusual.’’ As for the wands… “Wands should be concealed at all times. They are taken everywhere by us for protection.’’ But should they now be concealed? Shouldn’t that change? Hmm. “Items like Headless Hats are definitely a no-no. There is certainly a chance of Muggles running away while screaming from you.’’

SPOILER!!: Maxton! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
He had a bit of catching up to do, and Max quickly got to work. He probably wouldn't wear the hat he was creating but maybe he could send it home to Alexander. His little brother liked pirates and would probably enjoy the skull and crossbones fabric.

He pinned the cuff to the main piece of fabric, careful to try and make sure everything aligned okay. Again, it wasn't perfect but he was hardly a seamstress so it'd do.

He took the fabric and aimed it under the needle once again. His gaze met Professor Stewart's when she mentioned keeping the 'stitches uniformed' and the tips of his ears burned their trademark pink.

The Slytherin pressed the foot pedal for the final time, following the path between the pins and stitching the fabric together. He listened to his classmates answer Professor Stewart's question as he stitched away, nodding absent-mindly at their answers. Robes... Pointy hats... All answers he would've given had he not been too busy concentrating.

Next it was time to take the two corners at the top and stitched them together as best he could. It was actually taking shape!

Moment of truth!!

He flipped the hat right side out in all it's skull and crossbone glory.

He had made a hat!

Kay beamed. “Look at that! That’s perfect.’’ Indeed it was. It was also something she would definitely wear.

SPOILER!!: Patrick! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
Patrick kind of looked like he finished his hat. However it didn't look as good as some of the ones that he had bought from the store. He was pleasantly surprised by the hat's work though since usually he was trying to follow his grandmothers directions. Cleaning up his mess his head lifted at the question. "Honestly, I wouldn't wear robes. I would much prefer to wear jeans and sports team stuff. I spent most of my time around muggles because my mother teaches at a muggle school. So it's very different in the muggle community." he said with a nod.

“Correct! Jeans and sports merchandise is excellent wear and you would fit right in among a crowd.’’

SPOILER!!: Olivia! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govoni View Post
"I'm really excited." The Scarecrow was a leading role, even if he didn't have a ton of lines. And people could fight her on that. "The costume is going to be so extra." Just her style, honestly. In fact, she'd like to start working on that immediately, granting Professor Paul allowed it. Ugh, it was hard to say, though. She'd been gone for a year. Perhaps things had changed?

Aww, Bel. There was really no reason to feel bad about herself. Olivia felt that most everyone in the room had failed at this exercise...and by comparison, she was in a good place. "How about we take it with us? And once we leave this non-magic room, we can spell the the stitches out?" Professor Stewart was always going on about not doing magic in these lessons, but OBVIOUSLY...she had no say about afterwards. "If you would like to try again, we can work on this another time, since class is over." Basically.

"Muggles often wear A LOT of crazy things. So, the concept of them thinking anything might be out of the ordinary is laughable. As fashion continues to evolve on both sides of the playing field, I feel like the two are merging? If that makes sense. To be honest, there are many halfblooded witches and wizards who design for both cultures. So, I feel like the norm is already at a particular level. Of course, anything that might be charmed with magic would be a hard 'no'. Like flashing fabrics and hair accessories that flutter and move on their own... " Olivia Lynn Phillips really did love fashion. It was one of the things she was most passionate about.

"This wasn't too bad, today." The comment was casual.

"Indeed. There are lots of unlikely yet creative clothing and outfits out there. I think it's a nice thing that we have witches and wizards. What I mean to say is that our world will become more familiar of what the muggle world has in style at the time as well as what is acceptable to wear.''

Kay smiled at the compliment. "Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.''

“That brings us to the end of today’s lesson, everyone. Please neatly organise the supplies on your desk so that I’ll easily be able to collect them. Before you leave, I’d like to inform you that I will be giving you a term- long assignment to be completed.’’ Well, a ‘rest of the term assignment’ since the term had already started.

''You’ll each need to create two outfits for particular events. A room will be set up where you will have the necessary materials and further instructions. You’ll be given a list of events to choose from as well as dummies to place your creations upon as you complete them. The room will be open beginning today and it is located next to The Entertainment Room.’’ One of those unused room on the first floor had come in rather handy.

“Class is dismissed. Have a productive rest of your day! Remember to take along your beanies!’’

OOC: Annnnd that’s a wrap! I’ll leave the thread open for a few more hours (about 7 hours) just so you can RP your charries leaving, packing up etc. But the activity, answering questions have come to an end now. Regarding the term assignment, I’ll have that thread up tonight or tomorrow Thank you allllll for playing! <3

The ones in books who are as perfect as they can be.🌺🌺🌺

Last edited by FearlessLeader19; 02-01-2018 at 11:03 PM.