View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #131 (permalink)
TeafortheSoul
Formerly: Tegz
Dark Force Defense League

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

SPOILER!!: Olivia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govoni View Post

After she'd settled her desk into the new spot, the blonde grinned at the Puffer girl kindly. "I mean, I do mother the younger Gryffindor girls." Come to think of it, but an actual "mother," no. "But not in the offical capacity. I didn't birth them, or anything." Leaning down to switch-up the plugs for her machine, Liv made sure the short move hadn't messed up her progress. Huh.... everything looked to be in order, still.

....AND completely amused at the lengths Professor Paul had went to to include everyone in the play (in some way), Olivia beamed/grinned. "Professor Paul is one of my favorite teachers at this school. You're so lucky to have him as a Head of House." The Gryffindor could gush, but... Well, they were too busy for all that. "I'm playing the Scarecrow!..... and I was thinking about popping down to the greenhouses and offering my assistance with costumes." Since she had the experience and figured every small bit would help. Plays had so many moving parts!

Talk of fashion always engaged the Blonde One™. And it was no secret that she'd been a junior ambassador for O-Star for a few years now...but Olivia made no moves to mention this, as it was a magical brand. Though, she had walked in muggle fashion shows before. Actually, Olivia been working since a very young age, building up that résumé. "Fashion should be whatever makes you feel comfortable in your own skin." She was back to fiddling with her machine, commenting in a distracted sort of way. "I believe in clothes that encourage people to be their individual selves." For her, she'd been lucky enough to walk in both muggle and magical fashion shows. The best part has always been the free samples. Just putting that out there.

"I feel like we recycle trends a lot. Since words like Vintage and Retro are commonly used." It was hilarious how everyone always wanted to revisit the past through fashion, but at the same time.... it made all the sense in the world. What was creativity? What was originality? Ideas were reused and reinvented all the time! Nothing was truly original anymore.

Taking a small break from talking, the Gryffindor focused on the patterns and fleece material. Hats... Now, Liv loved a good hat as much as the next girl, but she preferred her's to be custom fitted to her head... and there wasn't a hat conformator in plain sight.

Well, that was rather unfortunate.

For now, she'd measure and cut the fleece, making use of the pins. Perhaps Liv could suggest purchasing one for the Muggle Studies classroom. It was a wonderful investment if you wanted the make the most fabulous hats. Obviously, even magic had it limits. So, there was nothing quite like manually-fitted head wear....

Snip, snip.

Snip, snip.

That was all that could be heard, as she went about sorting her fleece material. One thing Olivia could say.... it was of good quality. Very soft to the touch. "Where did you get this fleece, Professor?"

....... What?

Turning her attention back to Bel, who'd been working silently, Olivia's eyes widened. "Okay, take your foot off the pedal." There was no laughter or anything, since it wasn't the smol girl's fault (Liv would argue). This was a very advanced lesson, and probably shouldn't have been the first one dealing with sewing, since many of these kids had no knowledge of this type of equipment..... But she mentally digressed. "Let's get the fabric untangled." Even as she suggested it, her fingers were working the fleece loose.... Oh, she'd forgotten to drop the foot, which would guide the material for someone less skilled... Hm, and because she'd been in the process of backstitching, the pieces that Bel had been working with, couldn't exactly be salvaged. Well, they could.... if they wanted to sit here and cut out the thread, but that was kinda time-consuming.

If only they could use magic to remove it....

"Let's get you some more fleece and take it from the top, yeah?"

"Oh sorry." Bel covered her mouth and laughed sheepishly. She wasn't trying to imply anything but that explanation had made sense. Liv did that mother hen thing then.

Myers was a great head of house, Bel agreed. She especially liked the bit where he was a professor for one of the best subjects, it made it a lot easier to appreciate him really.

"Scarecrow will be fun, you'll get the best costume at least, I think!" Yeah! The most interesting one. "It will be bonza to watch you."

Aaand........ the older girl was helping her again. Bel lifted her foot off the pedal apologetically and watched as Liv fixed it up for her.

"More fleece. Right. I feel bad for wasting it." Really, she felt bad that she wasn't doing a good enough job. But she was still going to try.

SPOILER!!: prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post

“Yes, this is true. You mentioned motocross. Science is used to design the best and most reliable clothing that will help those athletes with conditions such as the wind among other factors. You are right. The science behind fashion is equally important.’’

Kay need not worry about Bel when it came to following the instructions. She was in good hands and by the looks of it, making a new friend. “Great job, Ms Macindoe.’’ Because the third year year was definitely trying her best.

“We’re almost finished but what we need to do now is to insert the cuff into top part, aligning the seams and cut edges. As you do this, use the pins to join them together.’’ Kaysha stood beside her desk, taking her time to show the class how to get it done. “Go ahead, everyone!’’

They all were on track? Good!

“Take your hat and turn it so that it fits onto the machine, covering the front part.’’ She showed them exactly how. “We’re going to sew between two pins, removing them as we go along. The point of the pins is to provide so stability to the fabric so that you have the stitches uniformed.’’ Her gaze fixed on Maxton for a brief moment as she gave him a knowing look. “Stitch all the way around.’’ Kay began to do so, pausing whenever she came to a pin to remove it. She gave a nod when she was finished to signal that they may try it.

“Finally, we take the two corners of the top and put them together so that they overlap. Sew them together by performing a few back and forward stitches. Once that’s done, flip your beanie to the right side out and there you have it!’’

OOC: That’s the last of the instructions, folks! The final question will be posted tomorrow after which the class will end. Feel free to finish your catching up in the meanwhile

Oh good, she was doing a good job. Bel was happy to hear it despite not feeling like she was doing as great as most people. She was at least trying. And she'd been right with her answer too, the science in fashion thing.

The extra help from Olivia plus the explanation of putting the foot down on the machine did help a bit and Bel went back to measuring and cutting her new piece of fleece. Pinning was easy enough but then she was back to the hard bit.

.... and this time she put the foot down to hold it in place. Bel poked her tongue out a bit and tried to sew straight, that little... back stitchy thing. One inch. All of that. Was it good enough? She looked at Olivia to check it out and then, with the sewn pieces, it was time to do some more pinning wasn't it?

She pinned the two bits together, the cuff bit on the inside and the seam lined up and then eyed the machine again. Oh boy. Time for more sewing. So intimidating. She was only a bit behind though right? Only a bit?

SPOILER!!: prof

[QUOTE=FearlessLeader19;12307678]
“Excellent! You may see me before you leave.’’ Kay was only too pleased to give the fleece away so that Olivia can put them to use. And was that Mulan she heard? Yes, it definitely was. Smiling to herself, she observed the Gryffindor work. It was amazing just how good at this Olivia already was. Like a pro.

“I’m so proud of you all. Though this is the first attempt at for many of you, you did a great job.’’ Kay paused here to beam around at them all. “The beanie is yours for the keeping or you can gift it to someone else. Before I close our lesson, I have just one last question. When it comes to mingling in with muggles, what are some of the dos and don’ts. Meaning, what would you and would you not wear that you do in the Wizarding world. This isn’t only limited to clothing but also accesories.’’

OOC: Hey, guys! So we’re wrapping up the lesson now. You may finish off the activity as well. This is the LAST call to complete this. You have 24 hours.

Well, Bel might not be finished, but she could answer the professor's question at least. Her beanie was still needing to be sewn into the one piece, and then connected across the top. She put her hand up to answer though. "Professor, I know that there's laws about not wearing things that might upset the statute but I think a lot of the typical wizarding wear like robes and pointy hats probably you actually could get away with wearing now? Muggles would think you're a few sammies short of a picnic maybe, but some might think you're really fashionable and pioneering, and start copying you. I don't think they would immediately think you're magical. Not much fazes muggles really, and people don't get burned at the stake anymore. I think the only things you couldn't wear are enchanted items, stuff that does things that muggles wouldn't believe, like headless hats for instance."

Erm... she wasn't going to finish this hat was she?

love is like a letter wrote :: and life is like an envelope
be careful who you give it to :: they might not give it back to you