View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #91 (permalink)
FearlessLeader19
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo
International Cooperation

x12 x12
~ Mrs. Steve Harrington ~ It be like that sometimes.

SPOILER!!: Patrick! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
Tapping the pedal of the sewing machine he watched the needle go down and come back up. Holy smokes he had done it. Somehow on the first try the bobbin actually threaded up. Usually it took him three or four tries in order to get this to happen.

He looked up at Professor Stewart he remembers seeing some pictures of his mamaw on his mama's side wearing some pretty odd looking clothes. But his mama said it was because it was all about twrilly dresses. Raising his hand, "Well everything comes back. Like my brothers all had pictures of them in overalls. All my friends back home are wearing overalls again." Shrugging his shoulders he thought it was a bit odd. "Honestly I really enjoy the suits men wore of the 20s but i think for women its really cool to see how the idea of dresses only to pants dresses and skirts evolved." his cheeks turned red as he realized that he was probably the only boy who knew something like that.

Did Kay even think twice that it was a boy who was so knowledgeable about the trend? No, she did not. “Yes, overalls were very popular in the nineties, especially for boys and during the summer. Changes in skirts and dress fashion have changed and varied a lot between the 1920s to the present time. For instance, in 1920, skirt and dress hemlines rose and waist lines lowered to the hip. In the eighties, they were once more longer, featured straight lines and more designs.''

SPOILER!!: Night! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionegold View Post
Text Cut: professor
What’s this? Night seem to need some help as Kay noticed she had progressed with the final instructions. “Let me help you finish up,’’ she offered. “First we cut the thread like so then we remove the bobbin from the winder. Slip the metal plate out.’’ With a soft click!, the late was out and the bobbin was in. Another click! indicated that that the plate was back in. “Next, pull the end of the thread that is on the spindle through the slot directly above the metal plate and then insert through the needle. Just one last thing. Press the foot pedal so that the two sets of threads intertwine. There you go! You’re all set.’’

Night was thankful that Professor Stewart didn't make a big deal about her being confused with the final setup. "Thank you so much, Professor. I'm just...out of practice, I guess." She didn't want to say that she'd never actually done it before. It was a useful skill to have, but not one that Night had ever had much interest in. And what was this about fashion?

Text Cut: Emmalyn
“My Grandma used to always say that fashion was cyclical. That there were only a few different styles that seemed to repeat every 20 years or so.” That sounded right. “I like functional fashion. If I can’t move and play in it, I don’t want to wear it. I was never much into the tight rolled pants and skinny jeans.” She shook her head. “Have you ever tried to play baseball in skinny jeans?”Ugh, skinny jeans. They didn't even have pockets to put your candy in. "As far as the fashion industry is concerned, I wish they would ask real people what they liked to wear. Sure, models can walk down the runway in those clunky high heels, but how are they supposed to run? Nope, not useful at all." She blushed a bit after her mini fashion rant, and could feel the heat of her embarrassment coloring her cheeks.

Yes, Night liked Emmalyn's insightful answer. Like the other Hufflepuff, she wasn't exactly up on fashion trends, Muggle or otherwise. Nevertheless, she raised her hand, wanting participation points all the same.

"Fashion is kind of a social construct. Like, who actually decides what's cool? Look back a hundred years and you have girls just starting to define fashion for themselves, break out of corsets and the like. Before that, you have corsets and that's only in western countries. And then you look back at earlier times, like the eighteenth century for instance, when both boys and girls wore dresses as toddlers. Now, if a parent were to put a dress on a boy, he would be laughed at, and the parents would be seen as 'forcing the gay lifestyle on him' or something utterly ridiculous like that. So who decides these things?"

Oops, she was guilty of rambling again. And would anyone judge her for her defense of LGBT rights? Well, she hadn't really given much away, right? Whatever.

“Quite welcome. You can always practice later on during the term.’’ Because this wasn’t going to be the last that they deal with a showing machine.

“Fashion has many influences,’’ Kay agreed. “From music stars to movie stars, there is always a period of time where they assert their influence. For instance, in the 2000s, Kate Middleton set quite a fashionable trend for women all around the world. Women often went for similar styles she wore. Over the years, fashion’s become evolved and persons have it firmly in their mind what a girl or a boy should wear. It’s become their mindset of what’s right and what’s wrong.’’

SPOILER!!: Maxton! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
Maxton pulled the end of the thread through the metal plate and spent a tough few minutes attempting to put it through the 'eye' of the needle. Why was it called an eye though?

He shrugged and adjusted his glasses again, tongue sticking out in concentration. This whole process was FAR too fiddly. And this was just the setup! He dreaded the moment when they actually had to use the machine for actually sewing.

He pressed his foot EVER SO gently on the pedal and watched as the thread on the spindle twined with the thread from the bobbin. Okay, he was all caught up.

The Slytherin thrust his arm in the air to answer Professor Stewart's question. "My dad likes wearing leather jackets. He thinks he looks cool but I think he's too old." And that was his two knuts on the subject.

Kay laughed her soft laugh. “Leather jackets are, as you put it, cool. It was punk fashion in the 1980s that brought this type of jacket into style. There are still a great deal of older men who wear them to this date.’’

SPOILER!!: Scarlett! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
Shockingly, Scarlett knew exactly how to set up a machine like this. Her father had come upon one when he had still owned the secondhand bookstore. Someone had donated one, which was super weird, but since the shop was hard wired for muggle electricity due to its location, they'd set it up and played with it for a bit. Now, it was all coming back to her. Once she had it sitting on the desk in front of her, and batteries installed, she took the foot piece and plugged it in to the back of the machine. She gave it a test and watched as the needle moved in and out for a few seconds and smiled. Tongue between her teeth, she squinted and looked down at the bobbin in her hand and began the tedious task of threading it through. It took a few tries, but she finally got it through all the right holes and twists and turns. She placed the thread on the top of the machine as well, working it through THAT nightmare of hooks and had the two connected. Now to MAKE the bobbin.

She then, carefully, picked up the end of her bobbin thread and pushed down lightly on the peddle, watching it pick up the thread and connect the two as it moved along. Nice and simple. She kept going, not going TOO fast so it didn't tangle, and once she had an ample amount on her bobbin, she cut the string connecting it and took the new bobbin in her hand, turning it over a few times. She then popped open the bobbin compartment and thread it through. Why were there so many little turns and stuff the thread has to take? Once the bobbin was in place - not as bad as she had anticipated, honestly - she then turned to her attention to the thread. She picked it up and put it in the top of the machine and began moving it through the machine. Finally, after a few seconds of trying, she was able to get the small bit through the eye of the needle. She pushed down on her foot pedal a few times to get the bobbin and thread intertwined. There, done!

Now for the question. She sat back and thought for a moment before raising her hand. "Well, muggle fashion is ALWAYS changing. It comes and goes so fast, things go out of style before you can even blink," she explained.

“That is indeed true! This does not only apply for clothing but for shoes, jewellery and hair styles as well. There is always something new that comes along that becomes the next big thing.’’

SPOILER!!: Zoryn! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaBlack View Post
Honestly Zoryn had been zoning in and out this entire time. Life was too short to pay attention in muggle studies. It was just so hard to stay focused and it's not like she was gonna need any of this in her future, y'know? Why would she sew her own clothes when she'd just buy them. PLUS, as a famous actress she'd probably get to keep her wardrobe from shoots anyways. All of this was doubly unimportant. But, like, no offense.

The Gryffindor only came back to reality upon hearing the question. Or really, questions. 'Cause Professor Stewart just fired loads of them. Despite this, Zoryn had one answer and one answer only.

"The only fashion that really matters is what Justine Janvier wears," everything else fell inferior to that and no other answer was acceptable.

Could they leave now? Was the lesson over?

Kay nodded. “Often our taste would be influenced by a single person rather than following a trend that a group of persons is already following. Their fashion choices are so intriguing that we can’t help but be completely fascinated by them.’’

SPOILER!!: Ronan, Lyn, Hattie! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazykitty View Post
It had taken Ronan a bit to figure out all the instructions, what with the bobbin going here, thread there and loopity-loop and zig-a-zig ahing. But finally, his sewing machine matched what it was supposed to look like and he was poking his fleece wishing it was any other fabric. Except corduroy or tweed, because blech.

And now they were being asked their opinion on fashion. "I like it when girls wear heels," he commented to one girl who seemed to have a real dislike for them. "It makes them carry themselves in a more graceful way. Besides, you'd be surprised what you could do in heels with enough practice." But that was enough about that.

"Fashion can also reveal a lot about one's socioeconomic status. I don't really know why, but the better a garment is constructed, more it costs. Also, if something is from a well-known fashion house, it tends to cost so much that only the economically lucky," read: wealthy "can afford it." Not that he was complaining, since he is one of those economically lucky, it was just something that he'd noticed over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
Seeing that Bel had things under control and Professor Stewart was ready to move on, Emmalyn made her way back to her seat. She did a quick glance over her threads to make sure nothing went out of place while she was away. Then it happened, Professor Stewart said the F word. Fashion. Her heart dropped a little. She had never been one to keep up with fashion. She was more of a comfort girl and use girl. As long as it felt good and served its purpose, she liked it.

She tried to think back about her Grandma Walsh. She was always up on the fashion trends and had encouraged Emmalyn to pay attention to them. But, that was years ago and Grandma Walsh had passed away when Emmalyn was six. She closed her eyes and tried to recall her grandmother's words.

“My Grandma used to always say that fashion was cyclical. That there were only a few different styles that seemed to repeat every 20 years or so.” That sounded right. “I like functional fashion. If I can’t move and play in it, I don’t want to wear it. I was never much into the tight rolled pants and skinny jeans.” She shook her head. “Have you ever tried to play baseball in skinny jeans?”Ugh, skinny jeans. They didn't even have pockets to put your candy in. "As far as the fashion industry is concerned, I wish they would ask real people what they liked to wear. Sure, models can walk down the runway in those clunky high heels, but how are they supposed to run? Nope, not useful at all." She blushed a bit after her mini fashion rant, and could feel the heat of her embarrassment coloring her cheeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieRu View Post
Hattie was glad that were done with his one practical bit. It had been pretty complicated, and she was so glad it was over. Now they were moving on to something else, and hopefully it would be a little more relaxing. She didn't like over working, not on a topic that wasn't really going to be an benefit to her. Muggle Studies was her less serious subject, and she didn't want to end up with a headache because of it. She listened to what her class mates said, silently nodding in agreement with what Emmalyn and Night were saying. Heels could be annoying, they were pretty, but could be annoying. She rolled eyes a little at Ronan. Of course he'd like heels. Had he even ever wore them?

"Whilst I do agree with Ronan to some extent, Emmalyn and Night are also right" The blonde began with a nod. "Heels are lovely, but can be painful. It's not very graceful to be hobbling around in pain" The best pair of heels wouldn't make a woman graceful if she couldn't walk in them. "Muggle fashion is constantly changing. What's in one year, isn't in the next, and to me that is weird. Like.... does that mean one has to constantly change their wardrobe. That just sounds expensive" And not a good use of money. And that was her opinion on the matter.

Heels! These were what Kay was passionate about more than a dress. “Heels are an integral part of fashion. In the 1920s, women's shoes would often be made with high as well as wide heels whether it was a pump or loafer. In the 1930's, strapped heels and pumps became extremely popular but in the 1960s, black slip-on boots were popular for both men and women while heels became thinner on pumps. It wasn’t until the 1980s when pumps were made with even higher and thinner heals that they became a hit.’’ Quite the evolution of heels, wasn’t it?

“Branding, yes. Branding is important because persons would show them off to show that they can afford these expensive brands. Unfortunately, there are many imitations out on the markets today.

“I understand what you’re getting at, Lyn. Some persons prefer the ‘loose’ clothing, it makes them feel comfortable rather than something that spans them. As for heels, sometimes it takes a great deal of time to walk in them, for others it doesn’t take such a long time.’’ Easy to see that the Puff was not a fan of heels and that was fine. “Ms Paton is also correct. Heels can be quite painful especially if they are rather thin. For this reason, some women would rather wear platforms.’’ Like her, for example. “Some would not change their wardrobe often. If someone finds that a particular type of clothing suits them or they’re comfortable with it, then they will stick with it regardless of fashion changes. That is, until they are ready for a change. I think we’ll find this is mostly true for older folks. They don’t care very much for fashion.’’

SPOILER!!: Garreth! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compootor View Post
Garreth was lagging behind a little bit setting up his machine, but that's just because he was taking his time! He couldn't very well rush this kind of thing, lest he get himself into a tangle like he'd done before. And then he'd need to ask the professor for help again, and that just wouldn't do. By the time he finally caught up, the professor had already asked her question. Thankfully it was more a matter of opinion.

"Uhh.. I like Sweater Vests.." he answered after raising his hand, completely oblivious to how stupid he sounded. "When were they popular with the muggles? 1960's? Something like that?" he hadn't realized how hard he was going to struggle with this question until he'd started attempting to answer it. He directed some thought towards which outfits had been the worst. "I guess legwarmers were pretty silly.. But they're making a comeback now, I think." he couldn't help but smirk.

“That’s correct, the 1960s. Now, in addition to sweater be worn just for fashion purposes, they were used by athletes notably by cricketers and golfers. Leg warmers are indeed making a comeback and they are mostly used for dancers. They are used to supposedly keep leg muscles warm and to prevent cramping or other muscle injuries.’’

SPOILER!!: The Silent One! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticStrawberry View Post
The Ravenclaw beamed at the seventh year. Did she mention how much she liked hanging out and being around the older and more mature girls. Less drama, well at least drama that she wasn’t pulled into. Always a relief honestly. Plus they had been there you know. The awkward year, fourth year. ”I’m a little nervous. Yeah. Beater.” She was still in shock over it. Especially after dropping the bat in tryouts. She was sure she wasn’t going to make the team not as a beater anyway. That was the only position she really tried out for.

She listened to the next part of the directions from Professor Stewart. Grabbing the scissors in her free hand she cut the thread. That was right, right? Her brown eyes moving up toward the front of the classroom. Then she slipped the bobbin out of the holder. Like so.

She kept watching Professor Stewart She was slightly getting confused by all the little details and areas. Juniper took the threaded bobbin into the holder. Popping the plate off and placed the bobbin in, and covered the plate back up. Geez this was a lot of work. Muggles always seemed to have it so hard. Really magic made everything so much easier. She had been saying this for years.

Pulling on the end of the thread, and inserted it into eyelet of the needle. PHEW! WERE THEY DONE YET? This was all very exhausting. Oh, the foot pedal, she pushed the foot pedal. Now everything was ready to go.

Oh, question time… Fashion opinion. Did the ravenclaw even have an opinion on Fashion? No not really. Other than making her feel inferior in her own family. *Sigh* Anyway… she stared at the front of the room. Waiting for this conversation to past. She had completely zoned out to it now.

No opinion nor thoughts? Well, at least none to voice aloud? This was fine with Kay. Perhaps for the next question answers would be volunteered.

SPOILER!!: Alexa! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
Sitting here, Jessa couldn’t help thinking how much more her cousin would have appreciated and excelled in this lesson than her. To be sure, Arisa would’ve been hopeless at setting up a muggle sewing machine but other than that...this...all this fashion stuff......yeah that would’ve been her cousin.

“I’ve never paid attention to the fashion scene Professor. I can’t say I care much for it or that I really know what’s happening so any answer I give won’t be of much value in the discussion.” This statement alone hadn’t been very useful and it was only the disclaimer. Just imagine how much less useful an actual answer would’ve been.

It was interesting how some of the others knew and a part of her wondered how but at the same time....she wasn’t all that curious. Clothes weren’t her thing. She wore them fine enough and appreciated the odd new article or two that she received but she wasn’t Arisa Cambridge and felt this an entire waste of her brain cells.

Jessa was aware some were high key into fashion and that was good for them but her? No. Just no.

How much longer would they have to be here?

“That’s fine, Ms Cambridge. Maybe you will now that we’ve dealt with this topic? Also, it would be useful as it can help you to properly blend into the Muggle world when you have to be out there.’’ Just a little advice.

“Today we’ll be making something simple since it’s the first time that many of you are using a sewing machine. It’ll come in handy for winter: fleece hats! As before, we’ll walk through the steps together. Don’t worry about not being able to follow everything properly or even successfully making the hat. It’s the practice that makes perfect and you’ll have time to do so for the rest of the term.

“First, I would like you to choose from the many fleece patterns on your desk. And I want you to place it flat, with the right side facing upwards.’’
After giving that instruction, Kay headed back to her desk. She had chosen the purple pattern with the peace symbols on it. It was placed the right side up.

“Take your measuring tape and measure out twenty four inches wide and fifteen inches wide. You can mark where the measurements end using pins. Just stick them on the fleece.

“Next, cut six inches from bottom of fleece to make cuff. Fold pieces in half so wrong sides are facing up.’’
The professor took another pause here after finishing the steps herself to stand up. “Please raise your hand if you need assistance.’’

OOC: And so our main activity begins This will last for 3-4 days where I’ll be posting small amounts of instructions each day except for tomorrow-Sunday- since I’ll be super busy. You may use this video for a better understanding of what your kiddos are doing.
PS: Feel free to finish up with the mini activity for your own sanity

The ones in books who are as perfect as they can be.🌺🌺🌺

Last edited by FearlessLeader19; 01-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.