View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
FearlessLeader19
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo
International Cooperation

x12 x12
~ Mrs. Steve Harrington ~ It be like that sometimes.

SPOILER!!: Shera! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucki View Post
Muggle fashion? Shera knew that she already liked it. Mainly because it gave her jeans, and she always found their clothes better than wearing robes. So, from the very beginning the lesson was intriguing her. And then there was also the fact that there was a project they would be starting?

Too much was going on in her head.

"Isn't it weird that a cabinet maker would invent a sewing machine?" it seemed like he wouldn't have much use for it. Not that she new much so maybe Shera and her observations should just better be ignored.

Still, it was Professor Stewart's demonstrating of setting up this muggle machine that kept her going. Her fingers fumbled as she started trying to get the batteries in, struggling with the first one before she realised there were markings in the battery spot and on the batteries. Doing it that way and pushing the spring down first was clearly the way to go.

Her eyes glanced over to see if she could catch a glance of Emmalyn and Night. Both of them were muggleborns, would they have done this before? Would they have finished the whole set up in the time that she struggled with the batteries.

Instead of focussing on others she knew she should probably move onto the next step. Attaching the foot thing to the upper "jack" as described by Professor Stewart. Ok, that was done...

Eyes back on the Professor. Who looked like she had done this a million times and Shera still had no clue what she was doing. Thread on the thread spindle, that was easy enough. Getting the thread through the bobbin. Now that was something that shouldn't be underestimated.

After 25 attempts Shera still hadn't managed to get it through. Was there a spell for this? Because she was feeling more positive about that, especially as Professor Kay began waiting for them to finish. Slowly she raised her hand in the air. "Professor, I can't get the thread through the... thing."

She wasn't feeling too confident in her ability to correctly say the new word.

“It may seem that way,’’ Kay responded to Shera’s question, not bothering to wonder if it were rhetorical or not. “But inspiration can come to anyone at anytime. I reckon Mr Saint was simply struck by inspiration one day.’’ She watched Shera carry on with the instructions for a while then observed the others. Most seem to be getting along just fine. Though the Ravenclaw before her was having a problem. “Oh, that’s fine. Here. Let me help.’’ She took the end of the thread. “The bobbin spool is what its called. Here’s what you do.’’ Kay carefully and slowly demonstrated the way of inserting the thread. “Think you got that? You’re welcome to undo what was done and try on your own.’’ Practice made perfect, after all.

SPOILER!!: Freja! Nat! Kathy! Annnnnd… *in the Grinch’s voice* Oh, MAAAAAAAAAAAAX!! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post

"Hi!" Freja replied, squinting her eyes slightly at the boy. Would it be cool to make boy friends? MEH, she was kinda hoping for some girl friends but he would make do. "My name's Freja." Just in case he didn't know. Of course he wouldn't know, she wasn't Queen Bee just yet. She beamed at him, then averted her attention back to the machines in front of them. "Nope... but they look kinda... dangerous, don't they? I mean I forgot to bring my gloves... do you think we'll need those?!"

ZOMG, she would be DOOMED.

FASHION!! Freja's mouth fell open slightly and she glanced to her new Gryffindor friend with an 'oh-em-gee' kinda look upon her face. She watched the professor set up her machine as closely and carefully as she could, but soon began to worry that she was going a bit too fast for her. Oh, she should probably be doing this too rather than just gawping at the professor, right?

Freja placed her machine flat down in front of her, and it was heavy, then studied each side and corner before moving onto the next part. She had a weird feeling that something was going to poke her if she wasn't careful. Batteries in hand, Freja managed to pop those into place without any issue. Cue her quick smug glace around the room.

The next part was where she was beganto scratch her head a bit. The word 'electricity' gave her the creeps for some reason, especially around unfamiliar machines.

The top jack. Easy. Freja chucked it into the top jack, flinching a bit as it went in as if she was expecting it to EXPLODE or something. But it did not. Thread.... bobbin... Freja missed ALL of the next instruction so she looked around towards her classmates to totally copy what they were doing. Hopefully she'd figure it out soon or there'd be an imminent freakout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlooo View Post
Text Cut: Jessa and Instructions

Natalie sat patiently through the beginning of class, but as soon as Jessa commented on what seemed like a year-long sewing project, she gave her a wide eyed look. "I think so," she whispered back. Muggle fashion was interesting, yes, but... did they have to MAKE it?

Perking up when the instructions began, Natalie sat up taller to see what the professor was doing. Batteries, right. Natalie knew what those were. She picked them up and wedged them into the right spot, adding a little smack to get the last one in just right. Perfect.

Then there was the foot pedal... into the.. jack? Jack? What a weird word for something. If only she knew what that looked like. Natalie pursed her lips and tried jamming the cord into a few different places until it finally fit into the right one. There. Nice. Then there was something with thread on it and a whole bunch of other words that didn't mean anything to her. Shouldn't they have learned vocabulary first???

Natalie managed the easy part of putting the so called "spool" onto the so called "spindle", but getting one little strand of thread into the bobbin was proving difficult. Natalie worked on it for what seemed like ages, and when she looked up she found that Jessa had already finished. She gaped. "How did you do that?!" She didn't even know what a bobbin was!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Put the thingy in the... other thingy. Right. Katy had got to about the part of 'put it on flat surface' (which was done for her) and then inserting the batteries, which was standard for Muggle devices, and now she was just hoping desperately that the professor would stop using jargon to explain.

Welp, the plug goes generally... there. Sure. It fit. Katy popped the end into the jack and realized she was getting behind. Thread on the bobbin... bobbin winder... thingy through the whatsit and...

Could she go home now, please? Maybe just a small case of death to complete the afternoon? Katy glanced around wildly, hoping someone near her knew what they were doing. Was it mortifying that the first year Puff nearby knew exactly what to do? Katherine Toussaint could brew a mastery level potion. She couldn't thread a thingy on a thingy. Whatever.
As the Professor informed them all of the history of the sewing machine, Maxton leaned over his parchment and began quickly scribbling down everything she said. He wasn't sure when he'd ever need to know anything about sewing but if it came up in the homework the notes would be handy so he tried to get down as much as he could.

As instructed, the Slytherin started by inserting the batteries into the little compartment and then he found the wire for the foot pedal and slot it into the relevant hole on the side of the machine.

The urge to press the foot pedal was strong but Maxton refrained. For now.

And then things started to get very confusing. Bobbin ... spool ... thread ... HUH?

The fourth year adjusted his glasses on the end of his nose and peered around the room to see if he was the only one who was confused.

“Do you need help, Mr Carden, Ms, McKinley, Ms Toussaint Ms Simm? I’ll be more than happy to show you both what you don’t understand.’’ Because there was confusion written all over the fourth year’s face. Plus Kay was more interested in ensuring every student understand all that needed to be done.

SPOILER!!: Lyn and Night! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
Eager to get started, Emmalyn quickly inserted the batteries, checking to make sure the connection was clean, then connected the foot pedal into the uppermost jack. She giggled, wondering how many of the other students would know what the foot pedal would do. She glanced around to see if anyone nearby needed help getting the first two steps completed.

Next, she placed the spool of thread onto the thread spindle at the side of the machine, grabbed the end of the thread and inserted it through one of the top holes in the bobbin spool. Seconds later, she had her bobbin thread wound, and the thread ready to be fed through the tension dial and pulling bar. She paused before completing those steps, not knowing if she should jump ahead or not.

“If anyone would like some help, I’m happy to assist.” She offered to those sitting around her. Finally, there was something she was good at. Sure, it was a muggle sewing machine and had nothing to do with magic, but it felt good to be reminded that she wasn’t a failure at everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionegold View Post
For Night (and, she noticed, Emmalyn), operating the machine was easy. Others seemed to be struggling a lot more. For instance, Shera, the girl she had met in the muggle entertainment room that one time earlier on.

SPOILER!!: Shera
Muggle fashion? Shera knew that she already liked it. Mainly because it gave her jeans, and she always found their clothes better than wearing robes. So, from the very beginning the lesson was intriguing her. And then there was also the fact that there was a project they would be starting?

Too much was going on in her head.

"Isn't it weird that a cabinet maker would invent a sewing machine?" it seemed like he wouldn't have much use for it. Not that she new much so maybe Shera and her observations should just better be ignored.

Still, it was Professor Stewart's demonstrating of setting up this muggle machine that kept her going. Her fingers fumbled as she started trying to get the batteries in, struggling with the first one before she realised there were markings in the battery spot and on the batteries. Doing it that way and pushing the spring down first was clearly the way to go.

Her eyes glanced over to see if she could catch a glance of Emmalyn and Night. Both of them were muggleborns, would they have done this before? Would they have finished the whole set up in the time that she struggled with the batteries.

Instead of focussing on others she knew she should probably move onto the next step. Attaching the foot thing to the upper "jack" as described by Professor Stewart. Ok, that was done...

Eyes back on the Professor. Who looked like she had done this a million times and Shera still had no clue what she was doing. Thread on the thread spindle, that was easy enough. Getting the thread through the bobbin. Now that was something that shouldn't be underestimated.

After 25 attempts Shera still hadn't managed to get it through. Was there a spell for this? Because she was feeling more positive about that, especially as Professor Kay began waiting for them to finish. Slowly she raised her hand in the air. "Professor, I can't get the thread through the... thing."

She wasn't feeling too confident in her ability to correctly say the new word.

Shera had been watching her and Emmalyn, trying to figure out what to do by watching her classmates. Night knew what that was like.

"Hey, Shera," Night said, making her way over to the girl. "You look like you could use some help. It's like this" She showed her how to insert the thread the correct way, making sure to stress the placement of her hands and the objects.

Kay couldn’t be anymore proud of her students, especially when they volunteered to help another. “Three points for being so considerate, Lyn. Regardless if anyone takes your offer or not. Three points to you as well, Ms Dixon.’’

SPOILER!!: Bel, Dorian, Garreth! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post
Bel had slipped in just before the professor shut the door, not having time to really take in the set up in the room since she was practically diving for a seat before Professor Stewart could start talking. And once she had sat down, the words 'sewing machine' and 'fashion' were quick to follow. Bel only noticed that she was indeed sitting in front of one. Noooot something she was familiar with.

She got her books and paper out, and her biro, and started scribbling down notes about the history and all that stuff in case they would be tested on it later.

As for setting up the machine.... woaaaaah slow dowwwwwn professor. Flat surface. Check. Batteries....? That was easy. She could do batteries. Bel lifted the little cover and stuck the batteries in the right way and then clicked the cover back in place. There. Batteries.

What was the end of the pedal? The cord thingo? And was a jack... the hole? She had to look around to check and well... it had to be. Bel pulled the length of it and shoved it in its little hole in the machine, making sure it was pushed in properly. Then she looked around to see what everyone else was up to, just to make sure she was doing things right so far.

And....... the rest was nonsense to her.

Spool? Spindle?? Bobbin???

Nope.

Bel stuck her hand up.

"Uhhmmm Professor? I'm real sorry, but I got no idea what any that stuff you just said is or how to do the things we are supposed to do with them." Bel said apologetically, with no shame about it whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyLinJi View Post
Dorian had been one of the stragglers as always and just as the Professor was about to close the classroom door, he sped up and entered just in time. Panting and covered in sweat from running, his dark hair sticking to his forehead, the Ravenclaw flashed a bright smile and quickly sat down at an empty seat.

Because he was more occupied with himself, he did not notice the machines in the room until he had sat down and was staring at one of his desk. As the professor talked about the things in front of them called sewing machines, Dorian felt a bit sad towards the muggles. Did they have to make clothes like this everyday? Without magic?! He quietly clapped his fingers under his table ' cause he was impressed. Despite being muggleborn, he had been adopted in to a halfblood family most of his life. And the ones he stayed with all used magic.

Batteries... What on earth were batteries?

Dorian looked over the heads of his fellow students to see what the Professor was holding up and it was then that he remembered that he knew those things. He had seen them before inside of a remote that controlled a thing called a VT...or TV...which? At his friends house.

Was everyone following? Eh no. But he did not want to show that he found it difficult to follow the instructions so he stayed quiet, trying to figure out the machine by himself. Foot pedal meant it had to be on the ground at foot height right? He looked under his desk and smiled when he had found it and he connected it in to the jack before coming back up.

The next few steps were even harder than the first step. Place a spool of thread in to a ...what? Spindle? What was a spindle? Did it ...spin? Scratching the back of his head, the second year looked around to see what his neighbours were doing. Maybe he could copy them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compootor View Post
Garreth was clearly eager to begin, but as the professor explained how to set up the machine, his enthusiasm slowly morphed into dread. This sounds so complicated! he thought to himself, doing his best to follow along with the professor's instructions. He was familiar with power cords and batteries, but it was still a good thing that the port for the foot pedal was labeled, or else he would have had to bother the professor with it, and that wouldn't do at all!

Come on, Garreth, you can do this. You don't have to ask for help... You can do this!

"Er... Professor?"
Well, shoot. He was in a right mess now. He'd done his absolute best to follow along with that whole threading process, but wow! He thought muggle machines were meant to make things easier. He tugged at his string and found that it was snagged in four different places and beyond the first step, it wasn't even close to being set up correctly. There was nothing for it at this point but to raise his hand.

"I'm sorry, I tried to follow along, but I must have missed a step or two..." the boy pouted, clearly disappointed with himself and more than a little embarrassed. He raised a hand up towards the machine to try to untangle his mess, but realized he'd probably just make it worse. He gave a thought to using magic to untangle and reset, but decided against it. This was muggle studies after all.

The fact that quite a bit of the students were unable to follow all of the instructions did not discourage Kay quite the least. It just made her more determined that they learn it all. “I’ll go over the instructions once more for all of you,’’ she told them.

Back at her desk, she cleared her throat. “I’m pleased to see that some of you have managed to complete the instructions and for those of you who could not, don’t worry about it. I’ll go over the steps for you. If you’re still unclear, I’ll help you personally or you can ask your peers. Now, make sure to pay keen attention.’’

Quickly she undid all that she had done on her own machine. “Like before, I’ll do this in steps. Meaning, I’ll complete a step then give you a minute or two to complete the said step before I move on to the next one.’’ She would have given them some more time but they were working with a time constraint here. She had to get the lesson completed by the end of the allotted period.

Making sure to point out what each part of the machine was as they went along, Kay began. “Insert your batteries. This is what they look like.’’ The batteries were held up before she appropriately installed it after which she waited two minutes before proceeding. “Connect the foot pedal to your machine by inserting the end of the pedal into the designated jack on the sewing machine which is the uppermost one.’’ Pause.

“Finally, place a spool of thread onto the thread spindle which is located on the side of the machine. Then take the end of the thread and insert it through one of the top holes in the bobbin spool. The end of the thread should now be coming out of the top of the bobbin. Place the bobbin onto the bobbin winder. It should be located near the thread holder that is holding your spool of thread.’’ Kay made sure she delved into this part at a slower pace, taking great care to give the visual.

“Go on. You may give it another try.’’

OOC: Soooo, we did this over again for your charries Don’t worry about them not getting everything right on the first time because it’s expected, especially the part with the bobbin winder and all Anyway, I’ll post the next set of instructions in a few hours.

The ones in books who are as perfect as they can be.🌺🌺🌺