View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #69 (permalink)
Nordic Witch

DERP & DoM
Ashwinder

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmeline Vance
Ravenclaw
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Maria Kingstonsdottir Dolph
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Violet Fawley
Ecological Protection

Ministry RPG Name:
Laurel Vance-Rose
Mysteries
x3
Swedishfish Girl! Madame Librarian! Jess's Soul Sister! Sweetest Swede!

SPOILER!!: Student replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Daisy thought about what using fingernails for Divination could mean. She had heard something from a Muggle doctor. She raised her hand, totally unsure. "Is it to do with spots on the nails and their relation to health?"
Daisy was the first to offer an answer and the badger girl was spot on. Somebody had apparently been studying their textbook. "Very good Daisy, the fingernail method we are focusing on today has to do with spots/symbols on our nails but also their colour and shapes relation to our health."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen View Post
Sometimes he wished he has his grandma on speed dial because goodness the things she knows about all these divinatory stuff. Tentatively he raised a hand "Professor, there are a lot of beliefs associated with the half-moon of fingernails, like its got to do with longevity or immunity or something." To which if he would believe in it, he better start writing out his last will and testament because he barely had any white anything on his nails.
Tenacious tentatively raised his hand to answer. Looking over at him Professor Vance said "Right you are Tenacious, the half-moon of our fingernails has to do with longevity of life. The bigger the half moons we have the longer we'll live." That was what was believed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post

"I dunno about for divination but you can tell a bunch about someone by their nails. If they keep 'em clean. If they keep 'em long or short. And old people nails look different to young people nails. All that stuff. So maybe actually nails can't be used for divination, only for applying your intuition when you see someone's, ya know, professor?" Oh wait. Bel covered her mouth. Whoops. "Wait, was that rude to say? I didn't mean to offend you or anything." Because, you know, she was a divination professor and everything.
Turning her gaze to Bel, Laurel smiled reassuringly. "I'm not offended at all Bel. Everyone answers count in my classes, varying answers lead to a better discussion." She paused for a half moment before continuing. "I think your wrong in that assumption Bel about nails. Nails can tell you much more about a person then I think you realize and can definitely be applied for more than just intuition and I hope our practical activities will show you that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieRu View Post
So the blonde smiled, and put her hand up in the air. "I believe you can interpret a person's personality from looking at their nails" Though she honestly didn't really get it. She hadn't really paid attention to many finger nails, but they mostly all looked the same. So she didn't get how they could all mean different things. Maybe she'd find out in the lesson today!
Flashing her eyes over to the badger senior Professor Vance responded kindly."Good Hattie, you are on the right track. You can study a person's nails to get a read on their inborn personalities which is what you all will be doing in just some minutes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolicious View Post
How can they use fingernails for divination? She heard about this kind of Divination before but she's not really sure. What's the name again? Onysomething. The Slytherin raised her hand up in the air "From the markings on someone fingernails? It said that the marking could foretell events of the future." But she didn't really know how to do that though.
"Yes, that's correct Alyce. The markings on your nails can foretell future events and also let you interpret a person's personality." Laurel replied with a nod over to the Slytherin girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
The fourth year used the sleeve of his robe to quickly buff it clean. He hoped the Professor didn't notice. Or any of the girls sitting around him. He didn't want them thinking he was in the habit of keeping dirty fingernails. Because he wasn't!

"Is it possible to get a reading from someone's nail clippings, perhaps?" He asked, hand in the air. Like tea leaves? He really wasn't sure but he threw it out there anyway.
Maxton supplied an answer next that was curious. Smiling over at the fourth year Professor Vance responded "The nail clippings are actually more used in healing potions and spell workings to ensure that a spell affects the right person than for readings, we need the full nails for those."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimothy View Post
But the connection of one's fingernails to divination was rather tricky. To be honest, she didn't see what made them so special. "Does it have anything to do with the length of a person's nails, Professor?" Because then, maybe that would give her a reason to clip her nails today. Well, that would depend on the interpretations, though. She could cheat bad predictions in that case then, right?
Vivian raised her hand to answer third snake in a predicted chain of four. "You're on the right track Vivian. The length of your fingernails and how you tend to them if you clip, file, bend or keep them long and/or crooked does predict things about you and your future, but it's not what we look at first for nail readings for them we look at our nails condition, shape, colour and markings." Laurel answered with warm smile over at the prefect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post

Her hand up she smiled when Professor Vance called on her, "Oh my gosh professor are we going to try out that mood polish today? I read about it and it sounds really interesting." She looked at the group to see if anyone else had ever heard of it "It's this nail polish that changes colors with your moods and helps others know if you should be bothered or not, or even if you are in need of help because you are upset." If they were going to be using that she would have the best class of her life.
Zita's enthusiam and Oh my gosh response threw Laurel momentarily off track but she quickly regained her focus. Replying with a beam to the fourth year snakette she said "Zita, you're making me spoil the surprise I had for you all, but for near the end of the lesson we are yes going to try out the mood polish on our nails and you're each getting a little mood polish bottle to try outside of class." It would also be a part of their homework assignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyLinJi View Post
Dorian lifted his head up when the Professor addressed him and shook his shoulders before sitting up straight again. "I forgot we had Divination outside" he mumbled. "I had to run down from the sixth floor and I got irritated because it had been for nothing cause I was still one of the first to arrive" he had been scared that he'd be late like usual.

"Professor, Professor! Onychomancy is what it's called" he said. Proud of himself to know an answer in Divination for once. " Onychos means fingernail in Greek right?" he asked. "I think you can predict someone's future or get to know someone's personality by looking at their nails" and he lowered his hand back down.
It was commendable of Dorian to be honest about the reason for his irritation. "I see, well next time re-check the class notice so you're saved from an unnecessary walk to the seventh floor even if it's good for physical exercising."

"Thank you Dorian, that's very correct! The fingernail divination is called Onychomancy and Onychos means fingernail in the Greek language." Laurel replied with a happy smile over at the young eagle. The apology and this good answer had redeemed him in her eyes for his anger earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyander View Post
The lesson was beginning. And they were to be talking about their... nails? Lifting her hand up she looked down at her own nails which were clean and painted in clear coat of shimmery rainbow glitter. Uhh... What did her nails have to do with anything? She really didn't have any idea. "I really don't know but would having polish on my nails affect what we're doing today?" Hopefully not. She didn't really want to remove her nail polish but she would if she really had to.
Turning her gaze to young Rylee she nodded encouragingly "Yes Rylee, that you put polish on your nails has an effect in this divination method since it's said that putting on polish is said to warn off against impulsive behaviours." But lions were impulsive by nature so Laurel wasn't exactly sure if it worked or had any effect on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokimoto View Post

Raising her hand, Kye spoke up for the first time ever, "Uhm... maybe you can use fingernails as like, a DNA sample? I mean, you can tell a lot about someone's current and past health from them... their color, strength... so it's pretty safe to assume you can use the nails to see something of their future, too?"

That kind if made sense... right? What you could learn, she didn't know. She assumed something health related. Although, she would LOVE if Professor Vance told them that anyone who bit their nails would be cursed for eternity, because that was an absolutely appalling habit. And she didn't want to admit it, but she could actually see the lesson going in the place of the mood paint.
"DNA what sample Kye?" Laurel asked, not sure what that unfamiliar muggle term meant. Shaking her head she refocused on what the sixth year was saying that made sense. "Yes, that's good that you've picked up on that Kye. Interpreting a person's fingernails can indeed say a lot about that persons past and present health and about their foreseeable future." It made her wonder if Penny used it in her work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
She thought of that as a plus, though, and raised her hand. "For people who paint their nails, could you possibly use the chips to read your future?" she suggested. Otherwise, she was going to have some difficulty with this one...
"Chips, you mean the nail clippings right Scarlett?" Laurel asked. "For the reading we're doing we need to look at and interpret our whole nails. Can't you remove the nail polish and then reapply it at the end of the lesson?" It was probably a problem that many of the girl's in class would have to deal with. Should she have asked them to come with clean and unpolished nails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiqua View Post

What were FINGER NAILS used for? Hanna raised her hand. "Er Professor, could it be the lines in the finger nails?" She looked at her own nails, and there were faint lines going down them. Her grandpa had much bigger lines, so maybe it was like a tree.You could determine how old someone was by how deep their fingernail lines were? Though this was a divination class, not a forensic class.
Gaze turning to Hanna she replied with a smile. "Good try Hanna, the nails don't though have the same lines to interpret as the hand does. When we'll be looking at our nails today we'll look at their condition, colour, shape and markings/symbols."

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat View Post

Raising his hand, Aaron had stated with much confidence "Professor, from what I know, the diviner can figure out a person's personality and small glimpses of the future through examination of the shape, coloring, length, and markings within the actual nail itself." A brief pause before he continued. "My mum had told me that she used this a lot to determine things like illness."
Aaron showed his apt for the divine art by his confident answer to her question. Flashing him a smile Professor Vance responded. "Thank you Aaron, your correct those 4 points are exactly what we'll use for examining our nails closer and your mum is correct it is used by healers as one method to determine illnesses but it's not what they solely rely on." Healer needed many facts to set a diagnose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
"I think the way someone cares about their nails can show a lot of their personality. Like, if they're short, long, bitten, colorful... Even the colors they chose, it shows something... Or what they want it to show, I guess. And if they're neutral too, it says something about the person... " She said hesitantly and confusedly, wondering how could that possible relate to Divination. She thought about other hypothesis, but ultimately she decided to just sit back and listen to her classmates guesses.
Mara supplied an answer next which made Laurel turn to look at her and smile "Very good Mara! The nails state and colour can speak volumes about another person's personality if you interpret their nails. If the interpretation is correct you'd have to set to the test by observing and interacting with the person it can though have some consequences both good and bad." Like with all divination how it was perceived and taken depended on the person that was being read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
He shrugged a shoulder assuming that his guess was a bit off base but figured he should try his hand at the answer anyhow.

"You could likely tell little things about someone like if they work hard, don't work hard, or I guess that would be have to work with their hands or not." Although he still wasn't sure what magical properties or divinational relevance it would have for such a thing but he just nodded his head and continued to listen to his classmates.
Eyes scanning around the class she stopped them on Patrick when he spoke even though he seemed to think his guess was way too off but it wasn't not totally. "Good Patrick, the hands more than the nails can tell if someone is working as for example a muggle car mechanic because they would be more callused. The nails though can also give hints about if someone is working a lot or stressed since then they would be dirty and probably chipped." Laurel responded with a smile to the boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Vi blinked. Fingernails. They were focusing on reading fingernails...? The shape, the colour, the markings... She nodded along with the other students as they mentioned how markings, colour, and shape can all go into predicting a person's future. "Is it like moleosophy in the sense that the locations of the markings on the fingernails are important? Perhaps the location can even put a date or a range of time on the future event?"
Eyes flashing over to Olivia she nodded happily. "Very good Olivia, you're the first to think of that connection. The location of fingernail markings are just as important as the locations of moles in moleosophy." Another student that was studying and seeing similiarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlooo View Post
But then she listened to the Professor's question about... fingernails? Ew. Natalie looked down at her own fingernails. They were short, but cleanly cut. What did they have to do with divination? Natalie raised her hand timidly.

"Maybe the state of our nailbeds is, like, another way to read stuff, like we read our palms or our tea leaves...?" Maybe?
Natalie was one of the last to raise her hand to answer but was it with some hesitation that she detected? Anyway focusing on what the snakette was actually saying Professor Vance nodded encouraginly "Yes, the state of our nails and nail beds are another base for doing future and in this case personality readings similiar to tea leaves and palms since we look for markings in those methods too."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
DNA? Personality? She half listened to her peers answers as she considered what she knew of the subject, when something Max said actually sparked something she read in a book? "I think fingernail clippings used to be used in spells, heal rituals and superstitions. Which speaking of superstitions, I think i read something about Japanese girls being told that biting their nails would result in difficult childbirth?" Another glance down at her nails. Oops? Hopefully it was just a myth?
Skylar was the last student to offer up an answer. Looking over at her snake captain Laurel nodded with a smile. "Yes Skylar that's all correct. Fingernail clippings are used in spells, healing and in many, many superstitions and that one about biting your nails is thankfully more myth than true fact. If you have a difficult childbirth it has to do with so many other factors and none would be if you bite your nails." It was one supersitition not even Laurel believed in.

Assured that no more students wished to give answers Laurel proceeded to give some information. "The form of Divination that uses fingernails is called Onychomancy. Onychmos means fingernail in Greek like Dorian mentioned and has been used and practiced since ancient times. Believe or not our fingernails and fingernail clippings are associated with many superstitions and are used in many magical workings like for making sure a spell affects the right person and in healing and potions. Professor Noble and Healer Mcmillan could tell you more about that if you ared interested." Here Laurel paused to gather her thoughts and for allowing note taking.

"Before we start interpreting our own nails by length, shape, colour, condition and marking we need to get them ready for doing just that and this is where the supplies on your tables will come in. You all need to give your fingernails a good wash in the water found in the cauldrons so that they are super clean and then you are going to need to massage in generous amounts of the scented oils found in the bottles and see if you can make out any markings or colour specks on your nails by reflecting the sunlight onto your nails with the help of the hand mirrors." As she spoke Laurel had gone over to one of the tables up front and had washed and massaged in the oils on her own hands to make her fingernails shine and then used the mirror to reflect the sunlight onto her fingernails and saw how a white spot appeared on her ring finger, a new love, could it mean Aaron? "For those of you who are wearing nail polish please remove it with the aid of the scouring charm. I caution you all to not sniff in the strong oils too much it might make your head spin. Now get to work!"

OOC: Mini activity is up! As instructed have your student wash their hands in the cauldron, massage in the oils and see if you can see any markings or colour specks by reflecting the sunlight with the hand mirror onto your students nails. Don't interpret anything yet. Just take note. You can do this in one or as many posts as you wish. Have fun ! Be Creative! You get 3 days to complete the mini activity until wednesday @ approx 7pm when I will move on.