View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 03:47 PM

Post David Yates defends, supports Johnny Depp's casting in 'Fantastic Beasts' film series

Director David Yates took the straight line of defense when it came to Johnny Depp's casting as Gellert Grindelwald in the Fantastic Beasts film series, including the current production of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

Yates mentioned Depp's decent and kind demeanor on set, and noted that several of the actor's past relationships stated contradictory things regarding his allegations from nearly two years ago. All of this is up to the readers' interpretations regarding Depp's personal life, but Yates' comments can be read below.

Quote:
David Yates: “Honestly there’s an issue at the moment where there’s a lot of people being accused of things, they’re being accused by multiple victims, and it’s compelling and frightening. With Johnny, it seems to me there was one person who took a pop at him and claimed something. I can only tell you about the man I see every day: He’s full of decency and kindness, and that’s all I see. Whatever accusation was out there doesn’t tally with the kind of human being I’ve been working with.”

“By testament, some of the women in [Depp’s] life have said the same thing — ‘that’s not the human being we know.' It’s very different [than cases] where there are multiple accusers over many years that need to be examined and we need to reflect on our industry that allows that to roll on year in and year out. Johnny isn’t in that category in any shape or form. So to me, it doesn’t bear any more analysis. It’s a dead issue.”
Depp is reportedly set to remain on as Grindelwald through the entirety of the five-film series.
Warner Bros. Pictures announces Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald as the title of the second of five all new adventures in J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World™. Opening exactly one year from today, November 16, 2018, the film features an ensemble cast led by Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Ezra Miller, with Jude Law and Johnny Depp.

At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.

In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is being directed by David Yates, from a screenplay by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, and produced by David Heyman, J.K. Rowling, Steve Kloves and Lionel Wigram.