View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Post Jason Isaacs reveals almost turning down 'Harry Potter' films, playing Lucius again

While promoting the upcoming release of his satire The Death of Stalin, Jason Isaacs revealed how he almost turned down even trying out for the role of Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, as he did not want to portray too many villains at once. Of course, many of his loved ones knocked some sense into him into taking the now-iconic role.

Quote:
Jason Isaacs: "I was about to go play Captain Hook [in 2003's Peter Pan] and didn't want to do two children's villains. I went back in and read then went home.

"I said to my agent, 'When they call, tell them no, thank you very much, I am about to go play Captain Hook'. He said, 'Just think about it over the weekend'. I said, 'No, I don't want to think about it – it's fun and lovely and flattering but I am not playing two children's villains!'"

"Over the weekend, everybody I knew called me – nieces, nephews, godchildren and then the parents," he recalled. "They all tried to persuade me to take the job – not because they cared about me but because they wanted to visit the set! So I took the job and thank god I did!"
Isaacs commented on if he would ever return to portray Lucius Malfoy again:

Quote:
Isaacs: "I think [JK Rowling] is way too good a storyteller to breathe into her stories with a beginning, middle and ending with a little side alley. If Jo called me and went, 'I want to do a Lucius Malfoy spin-off film', she wouldn't get to the middle of her sentence before I've said yes and left my house! But I am not holding my breath for that call."
The Death of Stalin hits theaters in limited release next week.