View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pucki
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Shera Ben-Ari
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Jace let out a short chuckle realizing that somehow, him and Jasper are alike. The unnecessary apologising was a given and instantly, Jace felt at home around him. “It’s funny how we both came from different countries, and here we are...confusing each other with our own dialect. We’d probably apologise to each other the whole day.” He said leaning back on the floor with his hands and wiggled his bare toes.

At the mention of the word Kendo, Jace perked up as he picked up his equipment bag and showed two kinds of wooden swords to Jasper. “Yes it is. We use the ‘bokken’ to practice our forms...” he trailed off showing his solid wooden sword, “And the ‘shinai’ when we spar. It’s made of bamboo slats tied together.” He said rather proudly. “Here take a good look at it.” He added offering the shinai to him.

While Jasper was busy looking at his equipment, Jace picked up the sketchbook and wondered who he was trying to draw. “A portrait? Of whom...if I may ask?” The drawing was still a tad elusive to pinpoint who it was...but the shape seemed oddly familiar to him. Realizing who it could be, Jace steered the conversation away from the potential topic. “So...what do you do for fun in Australia? Do you...have colourful festivals too?”
Jasper gave an amused smile at Jace's comment, nodding in agreement. "I think you're doing better than me, I come from an English-speaking country and still end up confusing everyone," he commented lightly, besides which English was also the only language he spoke. "I think Azura so far is the only one who has understood... or at least managed to guess everything I've meant."

Which was kinda depressing in a weird way.

There was one person in this castle that didn't really always understand what it was he was saying.

Jasper leaned forward, looking at the... he wasn't even going to try to remember actually. Instead he just listened to the explanation that Jace was giving him. And thankfully it was the one with sticks swords. Carefully he'd reached out and grabbed the one for sparring, running the green eyes over it and examining it. "So the more solid one is to practice without hurting anyone? Is that also because it'd be heavier? Or is this one heavier?"

This was a whole new world.

"I don't know," he responded quickly. Mentally he face palmed, knowing that he had responded much too quickly for that to be believable. But, he immediately switched to the new conversation topic the other Ravenclaw was offering.

Festivals in Australia?

Did Mardi gras count?

"Well... we've got New Years Eve... the fireworks are usually big enough to bring heaps of tourists to Australia..." he thought for a moment, before thinking about the times he'd been in some of the Asian communities. "Chinese New Year is pretty big too, and then you've got Vivid but that's less a festival and more just... a light show... he finished lamely.

He'd never really thought of Australia as boring before this, but thinking to 'Australia Day' and realising it was all about having a BBQ and swimming, which also happened on Christmas and Boxing day and New Years Eve basically everything when it was warmer than 25 degrees he realised that most of the culture really came from other immigrants.

"Japan has a few festivals though, don't they?" he was pretty sure he'd seen people celebrating random Japanese festivals in Australia before. Not that he knew anything about them.