View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 01:35 AM   #37 (permalink)
TeafortheSoul
Formerly: Tegz
Dark Force Defense League

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

SPOILER!!: comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Two Gryffindors and a Slytherin? We like this very much.

*waves a green flag*
I enjoy your Slytherin love, I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurange View Post
In case this was not evident, I LOVE THIS CHAPTER.

IT IS THE BEGINNING OF A LONG AND BEAUTEOUS COURTSHIP.

I can't wait for the next update. WHEEEEEEEE.

Your live tweeting of reading the updates is what I live for XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
I think Al's last line sums that up perfectly...gosh, Lily.

Aw, I just love the way you guys are writing this
I love Lily. She's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
So talented!! Love this!
Glad to entertain!

3.4 Slytherin Tryouts
Saturday morning and it was time for tryouts set to start at 9am sharp. Scorpius had gotten up early to prepare. It wasn't just about making sure the pitch was ready, it was double checking the equipment and the sign up sheets and taking a moment to himself before all the insanity began. He'd attended the tryouts for all three of the other teams, watched with great interest to see what talent was out there and mentally picked who he would have wanted if it was his team. Of course the Gryffindor tryouts had been a shining example of nepotism. No need to bother trying out unless you were a Weasley or a Potter or good enough friends with those families. The only bit that had made that particular tryout interesting was that he had found himself in attendance with Rose Weasley. Strange but true. The delightful part was how James Potter was clearly so bothered by it and it distracted him from the task at hand. Scorpius did his best to put across body language that would just infuriate the eldest Potter even more, without him actually doing anything of course. Potter could think whatever he wanted and Scorp would, and frequently did, just play innocent. All that was over now and so were the whispers. At least the audible ones.

Prior to try outs, Scorpius had decided to go for a run before he was due to start things, intending to burn off a bit of the excess energy and some of the odd frustrations that had been plaguing him recently. A potions essay had been assigned already and it was due Monday. Scorpius wasn't looking forward to trying to fit that in when his weekend was already full. As for that Weasley business, that seemed to have died down now too, but he was interested to see who might show up to watch the Slytherin trials. He didn't expect Rose to come and reminded himself not to think of her as Rose. Rose Weasley. That was best. Good thing about being the only Malfoy was that nobody ever got mixed up with who they were referring to when they used his last name. They hadn't talked aside from a hello and a goodbye during the Gryffindor tryouts, not really. All acting aside, Scorpius had been mostly engrossed in watching and making a note here and there in the notebook he'd brought along with him. Useful thing that notebook. He used it especially and only for Quidditch and it was small enough to slip into his pocket. He patted said pocket now to reassure himself that it was there.

He was in his Quidditch gear for the tryouts, complete with his shiny captain's badge and a broom he'd received from his father the year before. Second best broom available by popular opinion though Scorp's broom had a few adjustments and customizations to account for his personal playing style that he felt made it the superior choice. He hated to let anyone else touch it, it was his baby. Having just finished the run around the grounds, Scorpius headed toward the pitch with said broom over one shoulder, his opposite hand negligently flicking his wand and levitating a large box of bludgers behind him. There were quaffles and a snitch in there too of course. His grey eyes flickered upward as he noticed someone else already in the air and he lowered the box of bludgers, taking a seat on it near the pitch entrance. He leaned forward and looked up, following the lone flyer with a crtitical eye. Lost in thought and wondering who was up there, Scorpius jumped slightly as the bludgers stirred in the box and began to bang against the inside of the box with enough force that he could feel the vibrations travel in waves up his spine.

Scorpius watched the kid land and dismount. It was a girl. His eyes trailed after her speculatively as she approached and began to walk over. Titch of a thing flew well, he noted as he tucked his hair behind his ears and leaned back with his hands gripping tightly to the box edges as the bludgers beneath got more and more worked up. Making a small noise under his breath, Scorpius stood up and kicked the box in annoyance. It was hard to concentrate with all that vibrating. He glanced up at the flyer, recognizing the young girl as a Slytherin, and familiar features at that.

"I know you. You're Cordelia Shettigar's little sister." Cordelia had been a prefect for Slytherin and the dueling club leader in Scorp's first year.

She nodded shyly.

"Here for tryouts?"

"I didn't put my name down." She said apologetically. "Is that... is it too late?"

Scorpius let out a thoughtful humphing sound and extracted a tiny clipboard from his pocket, which he enlarged and examined, tugging the accompanying quill free with a jerk and then eyeing her over the edge of the clipboard itself.

"I don't actually know your name, apart from the Shettigar part."

"Coraline." She seemed to gain a bit of confidence saying her name out loud and lifted her chin. "Coraline Shettigar, third year."

"Third year? Are you sure? You're a bit weedy." Scorpius was already starting to write her name down though and turned the clipboard around with a flourish. "Looks like you did sign up after all."

"I'm small and quick." She corrected him, flushing slightly though her chin lifted stubbornly.

"What are you trying out for? You flew pretty well just now, from what I saw."

Coraline didn't react to the compliment aside from by straightening up a bit. "Seeker. I heard that you were short one of those."

"Right." Scorpius answered a bit dryly. "Seeker. Pretty important to have at least one floating about." He glanced up, the first of the Slytherins who were trying out were beginning to make their way to the pitch. He liked to hold tryouts early to set an expectation for practices, and it usually meant that the lazier ones wouldn't even bother showing up. That was good news, Slytherin didn't need any lazy players.

"You've got a while before we're due to start." He told her and then glanced at the box of Quidditch balls again as it shuddered. He'd already checked the balls for curses or hexes of any kind, not putting it past Potter to go ahead and do something like that, but they were clean. The Bludgers were just as eager to start the season as the players were, after being locked away in a box since May.

Scorp sat on it again and as more students arrived, he ticked them off on his clipboard. His players from the previous year, Haneda, Hightower, Montague and Goyle arrived together. Eurydice got a few impressed looks from those of her yearmates who were there to try out, not just because she was a good player who was pretty much guaranteed a spot on the team, but because she showed up with what pretty much looked like a bodyguard contingent. Very wrockstar of you, Hightower.

"Five minutes before we begin." Scorp called out, noting the stands were starting to fill up too. Gryffindors? That was new, but expected all things considered. He gave the gaggle that included two Potters, two Weasleys and Shacklebolt an enthusiastic and admittedly taunting wave, playing it up as if he were overjoyed to see them.

"Where's your girlfriend, Malfoy?"

His head turned at the mocking voice and he glared at its owner. Anthony Sloper, Hufflepuff's Quidditch Captain, who had joined the others in the stands. If there was anyone in the entire school whom Scorpius Malfoy could honestly say he disliked more than any Gryffindor or any Weasley that had ever graced the halls it was Sloper. Where messing with Potter was often entertainment, the rivalry with Sloper was different and to top it off Scorpius genuinely disliked him. Sloper took the concept of 'rabid Badger' to a whole new level. He was saved from answering however by the Red Horde, who out-glared Scorpius by at least half again.

"She's not his girlfriend!" Shacklebolt contested hotly and Scorpius winced at the volume of his voice. Who needed a sonorous charm?

"Are you going to do something?" That was Urquhart in a whisper. Most everyone trying out had arrived now and were watching the escalating argument with varying degrees of interest, Scorpius finding it remarkable that Sloper and Shacklebolt had pretty much forgotten he was there while they bickered.

"No. No, I don't think so." Scorpius answered with a wink. "A Slytherin can get in real trouble trying to do the right thing."

"To truly succeed, others must fail." Takeshi said quietly and Urquhart looked uneasy but capitulated. "Perhaps they will eliminate one another and save us the need to concern ourselves at all." Scorpius liked the sound of that and he grinned at his friend. It was almost time to start and he was surprised to see, up in the stands, somehow Fred Weasley had managed to get everyone to shut up. Who knew?

"Alright, gather around, its time to start." It was nine a.m on the dot when Scorpius turned to those on the field, raising his voice to be heard clearly by all. It really was a wonder that anyone had shown up to watch.The bludgers were getting even more excited in their case and a few students eyed it warily. He hoped they all knew what was inside. "First I want to see how you all fly, so when you get up there, pull out all the stops. I'm not looking for showy unless there's skill behind it, we're not Gryffindors, I want to see some substance behind the flash." That got a jeer from the stands but he ignored it. "After that we'll run a few mini games, and you'll each rotate through whichever positions you are trying out for. If I tell you to get off the field you'll go, no questions." Or he'd hex them. He had his wand on him after all and would keep it when he was in the air and watching everyone's progress. "To end we'll have a little chat and I want to hear about how you thought you did, and how you thought others did. I'll be looking for strengths and weaknesses in all of you and I want you lot to do the same." And that last part would be a nice quiet discussion which would take place in the middle of the pitch where nosy observers couldn't overhear. "School brooms are there for anyone who doesn't have their own. Remember that there are no guarantees of position and if you held a spot last year I bloody well expect even more from you now, so don't get complacent or I'll find a replacement. Let's get started. Fifteen minutes, show me what you've got up there." The responses were enthusiastic, and some were nervous. One little kid looked about ready to wet himself and Scorpius quickly added, "If you need to go to the bathroom, be back in five minutes and make sure you let me know you're leaving the pitch." You know, just so they knew that they could.

He caught Takeshi smiling at him in excitement and Scorpius returned the grin before mounting his broom. Scorpius cast a Sonorous charm on himself so he could be heard across the pitch if need be, and then launched into the air to take up a prime observation position, ready to find Slytherin another winning team.

love is like a letter wrote :: and life is like an envelope
be careful who you give it to :: they might not give it back to you