View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 09:21 PM

Post J.K. Rowling comments on new Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone edition drawings

The first look at illustrator Jim Kay's art of Professor Snape for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone illustrated edition, coming out this Tuesday, was released via the Telegraph and can be seen here.

Kay also chatted with The Telegraph at length about what author J.K. Rowling wrote to him privately as a thank you for his art, and her comments of the illustrations that is printed in the dust jacket of the book. That, as well as Kay's inspirations for drawing Hermione, Hagrid, McGonagall and more, can be read below.

Quote:
[J.K] Rowling has given it her public seal of approval: “Seeing Jim Kay’s illustrations moved me profoundly,” she wrote for the dust jacket. “I love his interpretation of Harry Potter’s world, and I feel honoured and grateful he has lent his talent to it.”

She also wrote to Kay privately. “She sent a really lovely letter, and that’s the first time it hit me that this was real,” he says. “Imagine you’re a vicar and you find a Post-it note from God on your fridge. It was like that.”
His real-life inspirations for the Harry Potter characters drawn:

Quote:
McGonagall: [Kay's partner Louise] Clark is also the model for Professor McGonagall in the new book. Kay had to age her artificially – her real hair is ringleted and blonde rather than a harsh grey – but it was helpful to have her as a basis.

Hagrid: An old biker who lives in Kettering, with the eyes of Winston Churchill. He was the first character Kay drew, and he set the viewpoint for the rest.

Mr Dursley is based on the local butcher.

Hermione is based on Kay’s niece.

Harry was a boy he spotted swinging from the bars on the London Underground, and Kay had two stops to introduce himself to the boy’s mother and persuade him to pose for him – for a book whose subject he could not yet disclose.

Draco Malfoy and Ron Weasley both came from a school in Burford, to which he’d been invited by a pupil who’d loved A Monster Calls.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone's latest edition will release next week, and can be pre-ordered here.