View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 PM

Post Harry Potter's Sir John Hurt receives British Knighthood, updates on cancer treatment

Sir John Hurt received his British Knighthood at an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle on Friday afternoon. Photos and a video of the Harry Potter actor with his medal, which was bestowed upon him by Queen Elizabeth II, can be seen here.

Hurt was anointed with the honour for his decades of services to the film and theatrical arts.

Hurt, who played wandmaker Garrick Ollivander in the Harry Potter film series, commented on how he's doing after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer earlier this year, as well as what the honour means to him.

Quote:
Speaking after the Windsor Castle Investiture ceremony he said: “I’m halfway through my chemotherapy and I’ve got a whole load of tests next week.

“I’m not feeling any of the side effects you’re suppose to feel, or at least you can feel, as everybody’s different I’m told.

“It’s extraordinary, I haven’t lost weight or anything and I’m feeling good - it’s crazy.

“My oncologist is extremely optimistic, as indeed I am, so everything is going really well.”

It’s so unexpected in a sense, I never thought of it when I started out.

“I suppose the only thing I really rather regret is that my parents aren’t alive to see this, I’m sure that’s not a sentiment that’s new by any means, a lot of people say the same. But it does make one inordinately proud.”

Asked about his favourite role he replied: “That’s always impossible because it’s like saying ‘who’s your favourite child?’

“They all have different qualities, but I suppose something which changes your life in so far as it changes an audience’s perception of you and the business’s perception of you, then I think I’d have to say The Naked Civil Servant, followed by The Elephant Man.

“I look for something that I think I can do something personally with, the difficulty is until you work on something you do not know what you can do with something.”