Thread: The Quill
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Govoni

MO & DMLE
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lyric Bayliss-Black
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Marilyn Romalotti
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Gabriel P. Banner
Law Enforcement
x12 x12
Zombie Apocalypse Team Leader ★ ★ in a crown of pepperoni and artisan cheese

presents
Abraxan Racing: Fun or Cruel?
by Eden McGee

Many sports in the magical world can be wild, violent, and downright intense. When it comes to the stakes of the game, quidditch and quadpot are the two more physically taxing forms of magical athletics. However, there is one pastime that has formidably established itself, especially amongst the upper crust of magical society: Abraxan racing.

Abraxan racing is exactly how you would expect it to be. Abraxans, enormous winged horses best known for their speed, take to the sky in a thrilling contest for spectators to marvel and watch from the stands below. Competition varies based on the level of expertise from Junior to Pro competitors and only the most skilled and trained jockeys can ride in these events for safety reasons. As a sport, it has quickly grown in popularity among the masses, and not just for those who can afford to breed and maintain the beautiful beasts.

So, I ask...what is it about Abraxan racing that is so appealing? And is it even humane and socially acceptable? When I opened the dialogue to the students of Hogwarts, they all seemed to come to a general consensus of opinion.

On the subject of its appeal, Nemo Grimm said, “There’s no creature like an Abraxan, and racing is an old concept. The appeal speaks for itself.” Oleander Wisteria agreed with Grimm's opinion, saying, “Well... I've never been to one, but personally I think it'd be wicked.” Abraxan, indeed, are unique, but what makes them so? They range in size but for the most part, Abraxans are as large as elephants. Their massive size and majestic nature makes watching the white streaks race around an air-track have a certain appeal.

Damien Anderson-Belfort has not only ridden an Abraxan, but his family breeds them for the sole purpose of racing. He explained how, from a young age, he grew up with the horses making them an extension of his family. “We treat them like pets. We care for them as if they were one of us. We feed them, we groom them, we play with them, let them have all the flying time they want—and honestly, they really do enjoy racing. It’s fun for them.” It would seem the Abraxan are large enough in size and strong enough to defend themselves against any potential abuse they might encounter; however, not everyone thinks Abraxan racing is innocent. Professor Flamsteed said, “I don't follow the races, but one of my sisters does. Follow is probably too generous a word for it, really. She organizes protests mostly. Something about how they are an abomination of creature rights and are breeding grounds of death. Yeah...she doesn't fancy them much.” It seems the sport does have its haters, as most popular things do.

What is so BAD about Abraxan racing, though, if, as Damien Belfort says, the horses enjoy it? In certain reported cases, Abraxan racers and breeders are cruel to the winged horses, giving them potions to help speed them up and muscle enhancers. Belfort clarified this saying that while “some people don’t care for and raise their Abraxan like they should,” he and his family are not like this. Some of the student body seemed to think that racing the Abraxan should be no cause for concern. Agatha Hapgood said, “Personally, I think it's very interesting. It's not like Abraxans are weak creatures that can't take a little race.” The winged horses draw such positive attention from people at large, and to those who have an issue with Abraxan racing, Professor Thompson had this to say; “You'll find those critics around in just about any sport, with legitimate reasons, such as that with Quidditch. Most of the criticism is on the overall concern for the well-being on the Abraxans and their treatment. Actions that are dealt with just as well as with any evidence of abuse thanks to the strict rules kept in place. As long as it remains in control, there will remain fewer reasons to discontinue the sport."

So there it is! Abraxan racing: fun, dangerous, yet beautiful to watch. The winged horses, in rare and isolated cases, might be mistreated, but overall, the racing is a fun pastime for both wizards and Abraxans alike.