View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #115 (permalink)
BanaBatGirl
Dark Force Defense League

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Dumbledore's Defense Squad | BHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazenhani View Post
Well, his admissions hadn't concluded the interview right then and there. A good sign, he supposed. Though by the light in the Headmistress's eyes, he had a suspicion that those had been the easiest questions, to answer and to pass.

He was in the process of taking a breath of collection, when the woman poked a little bit more into his 'worst thing'. Her question had a small smile touching his lips. "It holds no weight over me any more, besides the regrets of memory. Even if it did, I'd be impressed if a student could suss it out. I've spent the better part of a decade contending with parties within the Prophet and Dark wizarding community who've been interested in getting under my skin, and then some."

Granted, kids could be more creative in their methods, but he didn't think their intentions or executions could quite match the day-to-day an Auror faced. But then, that was a limited opinion with no experience as a Professor. He vaguely wondered what types of stories the Headmistress had, that she would provide him with such a caution. Maybe one day, he would ask. Then again, maybe it was something best not to ask about.

Regardless, now was hardly the time.

Tenting his fingers on the table, Sabel leaned forward slightly. "A few of them." Though until now he hadn't really paid much mind as to whose students they had been. Only the school. He understood the point the Headmistress was making, but at the same time the compulsive draw to defend one of his own was overruling. "Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to make comments on the interests or habits of my co-workers." It was, after all, how the mess of the Daily Prophet was usually started. "But I can say that she is proving herself to be a capable hire, and a promising Auror." Interest in the Dark Arts or not.

"Whoever trained her, did a good job." And he had been hoping to pull a few notes from that person's book, but it seemed the Headmistress wouldn't even allow that indulgence. He had been expecting a simple 'guys' chat over drinks with Sander, not a job interview with the Headmistress of Hogwarts. To say he was under-prepared, was an understatement to the extreme.

He thought for a moment, rubbing the pads of his fingers together as he formulated a response. "Open discussion." It seemed too simple, too easy of an answer. "People, kids especially, find the unknown interesting and intriguing. Especially a forbidden unknown. If honest, open discussion is facilitated, it may help." But they couldn't just sit around the DADA classroom all day, yapping their gums. He wondered how far her humor stretched, and how she might react to suggesting that the alternative was dropping the kids off for a day of tumble with Dementors, or a sparing match with a few prisoners from Azkaban.

She didn't look like she had much humor to spare at this point, so he kept the grim musing to himself. "Otherwise, the same way as the YATI's are trained. Practice of skills, spells and a resourceful mindset that protects and prevents, whether against a dark wizard or a good wizard, dark magic or muggle conflict. They don't have to face the Dark Arts to be taught how to protect themselves and others."

Though it most certainly did help in developing a certain type of appreciation, and resentful respect, of them.

He shrugged a little self-consciously, all too aware of how idealistic his words sounded. He didn't know how to explain training, he just knew how to do it. "Early on, I was told that the use of Dark Arts is a choice, but the intention behind that choice doesn't make it any less dark or damaging." Thanks Tate. "Give them other choices, other options, other mindsets to deal with difficult circumstances, in all circumstances, and they may not feel the need to turn to such things as Dark Arts in desperation if, and when, the time comes." He hesitated. There was another part, a less pleasant part than exploring all that magic had to offer. "And consequences. They need to know about them. Not necessarily through direct experience, but if simple explanation doesn't work then by the experiences and memories of others. It's one thing to read about the Cruciatus Curse and want to use it, and another to hear or see a memory from a victim and to understand the pain they would be causing. They need to realize, and understand, they have a responsibility to themselves, and to each other. "
"That's true." A slow smile, if one could call it that, emerged however briefly on the Headmistress' lips. Dakest was adept at dodging the press, no? She'd call that another plus for him, in her book.

Well, good. He wasn't one to gossip. "Would you believe that back in the day I wrote Legend Chosen a letter of recommendation for the YATI program?" How old did THAT make her look? "But that's neither here nor there; we're here to talk about you, Sabel, and what kind of a professor you would make." A young one, certainly. Even now, her mind was trying to figure out what kind of an age gap would exist between their oldest staff member (Botros) and their soon-to-be youngest... for yes, Bunz had already made up her mind about this young Auror.

She again found herself listening with rapt attention to his responses, already picturing him even if his hair was a bit long for her tastes delivering this speech about open communication to a classroom full of students. "I couldn't agree more, Mr. Dakest. You have impressed me with this surprise interview today, but I wouldn't have it any other way. You're exactly what I want in our DADA position, and exactly WHO I want to teach the subject, starting now. I daresay that the sooner you can send me your resume and references, the sooner I can officially offer you this position and get you confirmed by the Hogwarts Board of Governors." She rapped her knuckles on the wooden table between them for a moment, thought about asking him yet one more question, and then quickly changed her mind about it.

"So, all things said, I don't think I need to keep you from my troublesome cousin any longer." Annie offered him a genuine smile and then her hand, again, for a parting handshake. "Please owl me that information, but until you are officially hired, will I be able to find you at the Ministry of Magic should any problems arise?"

yeah, there's one thing about me that you should know________________________________

__________________________________________that I can't help from speaking my mind