View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
StarShine
Special Services to the School

DoM
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mona Deandra Hellmann
Gryffindor
First Year
x5 x6
¼ of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pls

Cosgrach smiled at his few students. He wished more had shown up, but they were probably still in the effect of the holidays.

"All of you got it right: research. Thank you Lux, for being specific. Humans are driven by curiosity, and it has served us well: we have done many researches, and many are being done still. Therefore, we know a lot about ingredients and how to mix them. Once we get the theory of ingredients in a potion right, we move onto practical: we try those amounts under strict precautions, and once we get the potion we want, congratulations." He smiled again and gestured at the two piles of books on his desk.

"Take one from each pile and read them before deciding the amount and steps. Then, prepare a recipe and owl it to me. I'll check it and in the last week of school, we'll experiment together." Sounded fun, didn't it? Hehe. "You're dismissed. As always, you can keep the books."

OOC:
1. One of the books is 'A Potion-creator's Guide to Creating a Potion: How Ingredients React With Each Other' (talks about amounts of ingredients) and the other is 'A Potion-creator's Guide to Creating a Potion: How to Mix Ingredients' (talks about steps).

2. How I come up with steps:
a. If the potion has more than one effect (eg. a flu potion: it reduces your fever, cures cough and dries up the extra mucous), I decide which effect I want to appear first, and I order the ingredients accordingly.

b. If an ingredient is rare, I use a small amount of it.

c. If most of the ingredients are mundane, I add a spell to 'make it magical'.

These steps definitely aren't to instruct how you should prepare your potion; this is just how I do it. The steps&amounts are completely up to your imagination!

3. You have until 25th of March to prepare all the recipe.

4. Cosgrach will change some of the recipe; but only because it isn't realistic for a student to get it aaaaall right, so don't feel discouraged!

5. I think that's it for now, so have fun!