View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
lemon
Dark Force Defense League
Hufflepuff

DMLE
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Annaliese Toussaint
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Dmitriy Toussaint
Law Enforcement

x12 x12
Default This got so super long, and I am so super sorry. Ahem.
Dani's Citrus Duck Spawn | Mama Giraffe | Lemon PATch | Pushed the Red Button

Sherman had arrived at this booth first, as it was his FAVORITE one. Charms Developing was his job, actually, so he had plenty to say on the subject. He never liked to go first, though, and the man waited to hear a few of his opponents' opinions about the topic as well. They seemed to be taking the humane approach, but he had a little difference in his take.

Once Victoria and Alicia had finished speaking, he wheeled forward a bit and faced the crowd.

"Hello everyone! My name is Sherman Clark, and, as most of you know, I'm one of your candidates in the upcoming election for Minister." Introductions were always needed, right? Some of these people may not have been present at the Meet and Greet. "I am quite passionate about this topic, as it directly relates to my current occupation. I am a Charms Developer in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. We work on creating and testing new charms every day, and an issue that persistently comes up is animal testing. One of the most pressing negative parts of animal testing is the lack of humanity and apparent disregard for the life of the creature being used. On the other hand, some find the safety of wizardkind to be a more important matter and think that it is more beneficial to our health to go ahead and test on creatures."

He paused to gather his thoughts, then continued. "I am strongly against testing on creatures. I do find it cruel, but this is not my sole reason. Not only is animal testing inhumane, but it is also not reliable or necessarily in the best interest of wizards. First of all, there are many anatomic, metabolic, and cellular differences between humans and magical creatures, which make them poor test subjects from the start. The results acquired from animal tests may not be accurate, therefore providing the possibility of safety hazards for citizens. And that is what we are trying to avoid in the first place, is it not?"

Not to mention the current events associated with testing. "I hope you are all familiar with the magical cosmetics testing facility break-in that ultimately resulted in a somewhat recent mutant scare? Not only were those creatures harmed and done a great deal of injustice throughout the whole ordeal, but it posed yet another threat to safety of the residents of Wizarding Britain." Was that a good enough example for them? He hoped so.

"For these reasons, I am against animal testing. At this time, there are no magical alternatives to animal testing of which we are aware. However, Muggles have developed many successful methods that I hope to work from and adapt to fit our unique situations involving magic. But I do not feel that the present lack of alternatives justifies the testing of creatures." After all, no one would have drive to find new ways to test things if they still had the ability to do whatever they pleased with creatures.

Which brought him to his next point. "Many animal rights activists are cognizant of the fact that the governments of some European countries, including the French, Polish, and Spanish Ministries, have laws in place to make magically testing on Creatures illegal. If elected Minister, to better protect the safety of all beings- creature OR human- in Wizarding Britain, I would work to do the same." He smiled his usual goofy grin again, noticeably relaxing. "Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and thank you for your time."

Aaand, for the young experimental breeder? "In my opinion, that wouldn't fall under magical testing. My wife is the manager of Gringotts, and both dragons that guard their vaults are actually cross-breeds. This leads me to believe that experimental breeding contributes to society." He winked. See, kiddo? She was safe.

Merlin, he needed some water.

__________________________________..____this is why we can't have nice things, darling.