View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #69 (permalink)
BanaBatGirl
Dark Force Defense League

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Default wrapping things up--- this post is MOSTLY for Banababy ;)
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Dumbledore's Defense Squad | BHB

Text Cut: candidates and responses, ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Alicia grinned at Tori for a moment and then the question about her French Heritage. “I was born in France but I am English, I went to Hogwarts like most of these other Candidates and my own mother was English by birth” she admitted with a nod. “And really, if our constituents cannot see past where someone was born are we not failing history as this same fight this fight civil justice would have back stepped to perilous levels.” She smiled still though.

“I do believe that I understand my constituents and I believe that the people should have a minister who will speak with them and ask what they want and listen to their answers.” She took a breath, “I also feel that living wages are something all wizards should receive and I will strive for this in my campaign and if I get into the office I will try to do this as well as try to respond to issues that arise such as the tundra? That happened at Hogwarts recently in an attempt to make the schools safer for all.” Alicia smiled.

“If you don’t mind I should actually head to the podium soon, its been a pleasure Miss Bunbury” she smiled before turning and nervously walking to the podium.

DEEP BREATHS...

You got this. “Hello Everyone, I am Alicia Tanner one of the ten Candidates for Minister.” She smiled out to the crowd, pausing to not only gather her thoughts but also to breathe. “Some of you might remember me from my many years working as the Ministry Jurisprudent within Wizengamot, and others for my work in the Department of International Cooperation, and others might just know me from the deliveries of different treats that I still drop off at the ministry from time to time as a thank you for all of your wonderful work” yeah she was the Tea lady. Her nickname had been Ali-Tea when she first worked at the ministry. “Now, my platform for this campaign is simple. I believe that all employees in our magical community should at least receive a living wage. Now, this isn’t my only campaign platform there is more” she smiled again and glanced around the room at everyone. No, her hand was not shaking...okay maybe it was. But that was normal. “one thing I hold dear to my heart is the safety of our children, we were all students of one magical education system or another even if we trained at Beauxbaton, Salem, Durmstrang, or Hogwarts to name a few. Now we have all seen the Daily Prophet’s reportings on issues that have arisen at the schools now, such as the appearance of the Black ship in 2075?” Her smile wasn’t that happy right now. That one had hit home for her.

"A pirate's ghost, because of this possessed my own stepdaughter; still, more recently there was the ice storm that engulfed Hogwarts. As minister I will try to send delegates to deduce whether the situation is safe for not only our students but for the faculty and staff as well.” She smiled. "These are just some of the reasons why I want to help the ministry and help raise another generation, a generation that is and will be our future." There. She had done it! She smiled, nodded "thank you" she quietly spoke as she stepped off of the podium and returned to where Victoria was standing near her family and the other candidates that she was also interviewing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbiguouslyMe View Post
"My pleasure, Miss Bunbury," he said with a nod and a smile, his genuine. "Please know that the Daily Prophet is welcome to contact my campaign with any questions." Which would be meticulously considered and responded to with measured and thoughtful words. As she departed, Preston returned to jotting down notes on his own speech, having had such a strong reaction to Roxanne Carter's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
Merlin. Reporters. He really needed to watch his tongue around those.

"Of course not! What I meant was that if we listen well to the ideas that are being shared and bounced about, as any good minister would, they can be used to help and improve our already great Ministry. No matter who is elected, they can take action on issues they hadn't even thought of thanks to their opponents. We should all have a common goal, which is to work toward a better future for the wizarding world of Great Britain." Not to become so obsessed with the election that they couldn't see the bigger picture.

Ooh, and was that Althea? Sherman waaaaved. Why wasn't SHE running, again?

While he mingled with the crowd, the elderly man had kept one ear for the podium's speaker at all times. Alicia and Roxanne's campaign promises hadn't gone unheard on this end, as well as the Game and Sports Head's words with the latter. It seemed there was much conflict and disapproval around the Leaky, and it was making Sherman increasingly nervous.

But he had to take his turn some time, and the now was as good as any. Tentatively, he wheeled around legs and over to the podium. He stopped it beside the podium and drew his cane from his wheelchair so he could stand and be seen. No walking was occurring; he would be fine. Sherman waited for most of the pub's attention, and finally, he began to speak.

"Good evening everyone! My name is Sherman Clark, and I am one of your candidates for Minister of Magic." He tried to produce a charming smile, which came out looking a bit goofy thanks to his eccentric attire. "I feel that I am qualified to be your Minister for a multitude of reasons: I possess 47 years of experience across three different departments in the Ministry, allowing me to understand the employees, support them, and make decisions for their benefit; I believe in making sacrifices for the greater good, and as the greater good will always be the people, I am willing to sacrifice everything for them- you; I have, and always will have, the wizarding world's best interests at heart."

See, Ms. Bunbury? His numbers weren't ALL.

Deep breath. Whew. "As I am a member of the Hogwarts Board of Governors, it is known I am a strong advocate of education, and I want the best for students. I think utilizing fresh, young minds from Hogwarts is a great idea. However, I would like to focus on longevity in the Ministry more. While I want to bring in youthful employees who have plenty to offer, it is of just as much importance that we sustain the employment of our already skilled workers. Cross-departmental switches are welcomed, as long as Britain's best will stay and help us work toward a better future."

"Other than recruiting graduates for occupations, it is my opinion that the Ministry should not be working more closely than it already is with Hogwarts, instead allowing the Headmistress and the Board to manage it themselves. There are people whose prime focus is already the school; ours, of course, should be the Ministry. We should be working on Ministry services and making them more available so that the public- including Hogwarts- can take advantage of them when needed." There were 12 governors, 14 staff members, a headmistress, student leaders, and parents to squabble over Hogwarts. Need they really add the Ministry to that? The communication between the two was what mattered, as it had in the recent Chort situation. Once again, the service had saved the day.

"The Ministry is like- if you don't mind my use of a Muggle expression- a machine. The people are the gears and cogs that make the machine work beautifully, and the Minister keeps the machine running smoothly and efficiently. There shouldn't be any blockage, faulty bits, or lags. Nothing should get in the way, and if I am elected, it will be my sole duty to make sure that our machine is successful." A little lame, but it got the point across, didn't it?

He beamed at the audience. "Sustenance. Service. Success. Sherman Clark." That was HIM.

Letting that slogan sink in for a moment, he wrapped up the little speech. "Thank you for your time." NOW could he have some of those hors d'oeuvres?
*and others in here*

Well, this was getting a bit more interesting. Tori didn't push the candidates further for more questions, as most were spreading out and drifting toward the podium, but she DID make her quill write down EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING they had to say could be used for something, and as the budding, determined journalist she was, she was not going to miss a THING.

Now that she was standing beside Jorge, however, she reserved her judgments and kept her thoughts to herself, applauding only politely after each candidate spoke.

Text Cut: Roxanne, Mariel, Jorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazykitty View Post
Before she could reach the buffet, however, she was way laid by the Games and Sports head. Who seemed to have an overinflated view of just how important Quidditch was in the grand scheme of things. It was amusing, really. Except when you considered what else that money could've been used for. Like, for example, keeping the Specialties department afloat. Though, all this woman was getting for her efforts to defend herself was a small chuckle.

Once she got her laughter under control, Roxanne replied. "Oh, honey," she began in a voice one might use on a particularly dim child and taking the woman's chin firmly yet gently, "how misinformed and misguided you are. I can I assure you that I've done my research on the disaster of a Ministry that is run around here. And you seem to have an overinflated view of just how important Quidditch and your department in general is, Mrs.De La Garza." Yes, she'd done her research in that regards as well. "Something that it would do you better to realize sooner rather than later. Now if you'll excuse me, sweetheart, there's some business I must attend to elsewhere." Like at the buffet table. She released the younger woman's chin and took her leave then, walking over to said table, passing one Althea Scabior on her way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Did the woman just touch his wife. He locked his jaw and watched. He knew wife could handle herself well, so he stayed put and looked as calm as ever minus the jaw. Glancing back towards his coworker "If you need help finding the best dirt on that one I'd gladly help." That would be a nice way to persuade the readers to not vote for Miss Roxanne Carter. She didn't deserve the win at all the way she was acting this evening.

He rolled his eyes a bit at the name, "She's Mariel's close friend, so I know a bit more about her compared to the other candidates." He'd probably help with a story but wouldn't actually write it. He didn't need in the doghouse at home because he used personal knowledge against his wife's friend.

"You don't have to share, just get the best dirt you can. Everyone has skeletons in their closets. Some just hide them better than others." His smirk back on his face as he chuckled. "Those fashion and ask pieces won't get you far in journalism and I may not be here forever, someone will have to take my place as the best at finding the secrets." If anyone could do almost as good as him it would be Tori she had proven that a few times they had worked together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Derisive laughter? Really? That was how a ministerial candidate felt it appropriate to respond to a Ministry Department Head's rebuttal of her allegations? It would seem Roxanne Carter had a bit to learn about how to handle herself if she wanted people to actually elect her to the office..

No, really.. a LOT to learn apparently. Mariel gave the woman a scandalized look then narrowed her eyes as Roxanne grasped a hold of her chin. "Take your hands off of me," she demanded, pulling her face back out of the woman's grasp. Who did that? She paid literally no attention to the rubbish spewing from the woman's mouth at this point. Ms. Carter was obviously clueless to the needs of the Ministry and the community, she was wasting no more time with her. Pretty much the only thing that kept Mariel from snapping in response to the woman's inappropriate behavior was the satisfaction in knowing that Ms. Carter's campaign was pretty much doomed at this point, but she only had herself to blame. Even if Mariel would take some credit for that.

Oh, was she done now? It would figure that the woman would think that she could have the last word and walk away without giving her the chance to respond. But as it happened, Mariel spotted her husband in the direction that Roxanne was headed so she took the opportunity to offer her parting thoughts as she also walked that way. "If nothing else at least the voters know what kind of reaction to expect from their potential Minister when she's faced with some criticism," she said sweetly, with only a hint of smugness. "But I doubt anyone else will appreciate such a patronizing, dismissive attitude.. or manhandling a person who has concerns with her issues." Certainly crossing a line in her book. "And I'll be sure to ask my husband write a glowing review of tonight's events," she added just before she steered clear of the woman altogether. That was what all the candidates wanted, right? Good press?

Ugh. Mariel was thoroughly annoyed, but she had a reason for being at this event and it was not to get riled up, at least not in the sense that it happened. Approaching Jorge and his coworker, she gave them both a knowing smile, certain they had both witnessed events. Not that she wanted that to have happened, but she really felt that she had no choice but to defend her hardworking department. "Hello, Tori," she greeted the redhead before slipping an arm around Jorge's waist and look up at him. "I think I should go home soon."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Jorge was more focused on the events then the person beside him so if Tori had said anymore he hadn’t heard. Watching his wife join them he put an arm around her. “You alright?” He did catch her final words to the woman and was still smirking at this point. He’d sure to make sure this Roxanne wasn’t looking too nicely in the public eye. His controversial pieces would not be in her favor, though he might let Tori handle it since it did involve his wife. She’d have to make it good though, no sugarcoating what the woman dressed in that evening sort of article.

Looking down at her he smiled, “But I think this place needs you around, you put some very nice light in here.” Stirring up the candidates was a great way for a story and he didn’t even have to do it. “I need to listen to a few more candidates and talk to a few more people then I’ll be ready, but if you want to leave before me I can just meet you at home.” He didn’t want her leaving alone though so he hoped she could hold out maybe another hour. “Though the better question is, are you going to be speaking to Emily Browne about that woman putting her hands on you?” Not that he had much faith in the MLE, but she had no business doing what she did and something needed done. Possibly her being taking off the list of candidates. Didn’t she say she was in France before, why doesn’t she go back.

Speaking of Jorge though... whoooooooweee. Tori's focus was ALSO more on his wife than on him, no offense. She took his advice in stride and noted it in her mind, but was too interested in the catfight to say much else.

"Hi Mariel," she greeted the brunette with a genuinely polite smile, adding a quick, "Well, you handled that better than SHE did," side remark. Not that she wanted to stir up Mariel any more, but.... this spat would be what everyone was talking about tomorrow. She nodded along with what Jorge was saying about Emily Browne, even though Tori (personally) wouldn't trust law enforcement to do anything about that. Look, loads of aurors had been standing around just now, and not one of them had done a thing! Plus the aurors/Browne had manhandled Jorge that one time...

The fiery husband and wife duo looked to be getting ready to leave, or move elsewhere, and that was Tori's cue to go talk to someone else as well. "I'm going to go grab a bite, so you two try to enjoy the rest of the evening," she excused herself politely.

Text Cut: Dash & Thea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos.Doodles View Post
To say that he had happily volunteered to get the drinks was an understatement. But only because it gave him a chance to get away from the politicians who he really didn't care about. Under normal circumstances Dash would have instructed Althea to get her own drink. And his as well while she was at it. Because that's what she was there for obviously.

Ahem.

Passing her drink over he nodded.

"Are you still set on Clark?" Dash's eyes flickered to the much older man for a second. Unlike his wife he had no real reason to support the man. He didn't know him very well and he didn't seem qualified anyways.

Then again, if this whole thing was really about qualifications none of the candidates would probably be running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post

Althea smiled back at Sherman and nodded in acknowledgement, watching over her drink as he headed to the podium himself. She may have in theory been there to support him, but that didn't mean Althea wasn't about to listen closely, her opinion could still change.

...Alright, good start. Althea's expression remained politely attentive but otherwise gave no particular indication that she was any bit impressed. When he mentioned the board, and then essentially stepped aside from that platform in favour of employee longevity, she nodded once firmly. Score one for Sherman. He'd successfully indicated his support for Hogwarts issues whilst putting the focus on the Ministry, and Wizarding World itself. She sipped her drink and glanced around at the other candidates to see how they took that, then she applauded briefly when he was done and glanced at Dash as if to check if he now saw why she'd come into this with Sherman Clark as her top choice.
The next speech came quickly, thankfully and Althea fixed her attention squarely on this Preston Kingsley.

Hmmm a former professor. And a man with manners enough to be respectful of the outgoing Minister Kettleburn, who was still the current Minister for Magic after all. Her lip actually quirked at that ego comment too. Nice subtle little dig at Roxanne there, she was certain of it.

She wanted to hear more about his ideas.
And now Erica Radley taking the mother stance... except she was also making it clear her candidacy wasn't riding on a Hogwarts-related platform. Althea was listening close here too. Interesting approach. She would like to know if the woman had any policies in mind or if she was simply planning to implement the ideas of others. Althea needed to know more, but she at least had no extreme opposition to her at this point.

It would be interesting to see if she could step up to the standard Sherman Clark and Preston Kingsley were already setting for this campaign, that was for sure.
................................?

So this Becca woman wanted Althea to think about who she would vote for and who fit all these categories etc and so forth, but wasn't really saying anything to put herself in said categories? Althea wasn't exactly against this woman, it was simply she had got no sense of her or what she stood for, and that for some reason she seemed to have a problem with Kettleburn. Hmm. Maybe she'd say something more substantial next time. Regardless it was still heads and shoulders and skyscrapers above anything Roxanne had had to say.

--

Essentially the most recent four speeches were her current order of preference. Althea sipped her drink again. The interesting part would be to see how they responded to further questioning, of course.

Now... why hadn't anyone arrested Roxanne for assault yet?

Annnnnnnnd here were the people she wanted to talk to. EHEHEHHEE. Tori was as pleased as could be to find her former professors, standing TOGETHER, next to each other. WHEEEEHEHE. This was all her shipping dreams come true. Boy was she ever glad her quill and notepad were still out...

"Mr. and Mrs. Scabior," the redhead bubbled with a simply devilish grin, "how ARE you two? My favorite former professors... together at last, in public, happily married, making appearances, doing their duties as concerned citizens....."

What else could she say? Should she jog their memories? Surely they wouldn't forget THE Bunbury they'd had in class... Tori settled for something simple, her quill poised as ever on the parchment in front of her.

"PLEASE tell me your thoughts on the candidates so far."

yeah, there's one thing about me that you should know________________________________

__________________________________________that I can't help from speaking my mind