View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #56 (permalink)
Holmesian Feline

MO & DMLE
Chimaera

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Celeste Gert
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nadia Atreyu-Rehman
Gryffindor
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Simon Spencer Bennett
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Noah Bennett
Minister's Office
x8 x8
Toothless - Napoleon of Crime - Gryffinclaw - Owl Emissary - Pirate Auror - DoctorDonna

SPOILER!!: Victoria
[QUOTE=Bazinga;11685407]
SPOILER!!: Basil, Simon, Amy, Cosgrach, Mariel

Eggs? Victoria looked at them but truly wasn’t sure that was something she would want. “I’ll keep that in mind.” She turned her body more towards him as he said her name and stuck out her hand, “You are the editor at the paper, Mr. Skeeter? Being the Division manager of the quidditch department I get to know many names in media.” She wasn’t a stalker or anything. He was asking her about her speech, but of course. “I feel the need to have stronger ties not a heavy hand. The headmistress and the Board of Governors do a good job at the school. It is still the best school, I just feel we as a ministry could help them as much as they could help us. I think the ties are fairly good, but with things that have gone on there I feel if we had a stronger line of communication maybe we could get to the bottom of why it is constantly having something wrong.” She knew this was a very sensitive topic, but it was one of her big reasons for wanting some changes. “My son is a fourth year there and my husband is..”

That’s when she heard Cossy's voice and turned giving him a huge smile. “You made it.” She hadn’t been sure, but the fact that he was there meant so much to her. She put an arm around him and kissed his cheek. Turning back to Mr. Skeeter, “as I was saying and my husband is a professor there so I feel it important to make sure our relationship with the school, headmistress, and the board is very open. The work study program I was speaking of is something I’ve been thinking about for a year or so now. I’ve notice a huge population of employees graduating Hogwarts and coming into the ministry. Many departments have entry level positions and training of their own, but wouldn’t it be nice to have some work study programs for these seventh years that know they want to work for our ministry to get a head start? It would be a great way to show them what working at the ministry is really like and get them very valuable work experience that many do not have.” She felt it was a great opportunity and experience for the younger generation.

Looking back to Simon she smiled, “I’m glad that it didn’t seem like I was too nervous. I’ve gotten use to public speaking with my position, but this is the first time to fully state some of my ideas to the community.” She knew some of the candidates would never admit something like that, but if there was one thing Victoria was it was honest. She wouldn’t lie or hide her true feelings. She was curious to his comment about MLE, “Is something wrong?” She’d hope not, all the MLE people seemed so nice and Emily did such a great job.

Hearing another person come to the podium she stopped to listen and her eyes widened right from the get go. Why would anyone talk about another area joking about them if she wanted to be elected? Then her eyes narrowed as she called out her event. She was the division manager and that event was her baby. They were the head of the league, did she not know that? Honestly how was she running if she didn’t even know how the departments worked? Plus she had thoughts about flying carpets and thought that event had a great importance in the future of them. Training sessions? Obviously this woman had no children and no thoughts on family first. She loved her job, but felt the ministry supported their employees having families and this woman was stating she’d take that away.

Another voice (Amy) caught her attention from that speech and she put her best smile back on, reaching out her hand. “Hello, Victoria Maroon. It’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Harrington.” This was a little exciting having someone come up to her. She loved meeting new people and the face that she liked her speech was just wonderful. “Well thank you. What department do you work in if you don’t mind me asking?” She was needing to get to know more people in departments and have connections.

Turning back to her husband she beamed, “I can’t believe you made it. This means so much to me that you did.” She knew he was busy, but the fact that he took the time to come and be with her and support her was just amazing. She felt so lucky and a bit more confident with him by her side. A voice made her eyes snap towards two people. Ms. Carter who had just spoken and her best friend and Mariel seemed hot. Which she had every right to be and Victoria was glad she was speaking up. Though she felt like she couldn’t help back her friend at the moment, not that Mariel needed it. She was doing well on her own. Seeing her come over she gave her a smile. “Thank you.” it was great to have the support of her best friend and a great department head. “You alright?” She’d had blushed by Mariel’s comments about her ideas, but she did feel they were good and her confidence had risen in recent years to know she could do this.

SPOILER!!: Mariel and Roxanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Mariel had slipped away from Jorge for a few minutes as he was making the rounds, getting this quote or that from the candidates, so she could take the opportunity to speak to Victoria and lend her support before she left for the evening to return to her newborn baby. She had heard her speaking from the podium not long ago so she figured that she would find her friend near there and so headed towards the buffet area.

As she walked that way, the wine glass her husband had gotten her still in her hand, the brunette heard another magnified voice. Roxanne Carter, wasn't it? Green eyes snapped to the former British Ministry worker as she stopped to listen a moment. Of course, Mariel would likely be throwing her vote a certain way, but she'd certainly be fair and hear everyone out.

Or perhaps that wasn't a good idea.

The more Roxanne spoke, the more annoyed Mariel felt. Did she really have the nerve to so openly speak on things that she clearly knew nothing about? Normally she would have just rolled her eyes and moved on, but when she brought her department into it, no way was she going to keep silent. And Ministry boot camps? She wasn't sure what Roxanne's department was like when she was running it, but she had no room to speak on Games and Sports, not when she had the remarkable team that she did. The woman had clearly lost it.

Once the woman had finished speaking, Mariel took a deep breath and began counting backwards in her head to calm herself down, her hand tight around the stem of her wine glass. 100.. 99.. 98.. 97.. 96.. The hell with it, she had something to say and it wasn't going to wait. "I beg your pardon, Ms. Carter," she began tersely as she approached the candidate. "Mariel De La Garza, Department Head of Magical Games and Sports," she added as a way to identify herself so the woman would know exactly where she was coming from. "I'm not sure where you get off publicly calling out my department as potential money wasters, especially when you have no idea what you are talking about. My entire department worked their collective behinds off to secure donations and sponsorships to help fund that Quidditch Meet and Greet, an event that was not only beneficial to the community but to the Ministry as well. Not that I need to answer to you, but I can assure you or anyone else that would ask that I can justify every last knut on the spot." She was sure that Ms. Carter had no idea of what their budget was, how much they spent, how much they received in donations, or how much was profited. And trying to point out wrong-doing when there was none was no way to win votes, certainly not from the people who were accused of it when they were simply working hard to do their jobs and then some.

"I suggest you have your facts straight before you make another public outcry denouncing the efforts of hardworking people." Yes, Mariel was livid over the woman's accusatory words and she breathed deeply to calm herself, not yet moving from the spot she was in.
Quote:

Jorge had been still talking to the others in the drink area and taking notes down on things he needed t remember when he heard the speech that he knew would send his wife into a tizzy. Though he highly enjoyed her feisty side this was probably not the place to bring it out. So he finished up as quickly as he could and made his way towards the food giving Victoria a nod as his eyes moved just in time to see Mariel speaking to the candidate, Miss Carter. He crossed his arms and just watched with a smirk on his face. That was his wife and he just loved how she stood up for herself and her department. He couldn't be prouder.

Turning his eyes he noticed Basil and Tori giving them both nods he kept an eye on his wife to make sure she was alright as well as tried to decide where the actual minister was. He wouldn't mind gathering his thoughts on a few things.

Simon was being a quiet observer and simply watching and listening to what was going on around him. The better to gather what imformation might be dropped. "No, nothing is wrong," he assured her with a small smile of his own. "Just one has to be on their toes." What was that muggle phrase...crime doesn't sleep. And something like Always Be Prepared was another.

"And I think a work study program would do good," the auror decided to comment on. "Kinda like the YATI program I went through but done earlier. Might help graduating students with the NEWTs they'd need." Especially if one was still unclear of what they wanted in their later years at Hogwarts.

SPOILER!!: Alicia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Alicia grinned at Tori for a moment and then the question about her French Heritage. “I was born in France but I am English, I went to Hogwarts like most of these other Candidates and my own mother was English by birth” she admitted with a nod. “And really, if our constituents cannot see past where someone was born are we not failing history as this same fight this fight civil justice would have back stepped to perilous levels.” She smiled still though.

“I do believe that I understand my constituents and I believe that the people should have a minister who will speak with them and ask what they want and listen to their answers.” She took a breath, “I also feel that living wages are something all wizards should receive and I will strive for this in my campaign and if I get into the office I will try to do this as well as try to respond to issues that arise such as the tundra? That happened at Hogwarts recently in an attempt to make the schools safer for all.” Alicia smiled.

“If you don’t mind I should actually head to the podium soon, its been a pleasure Miss Bunbury” she smiled before turning and nervously walking to the podium.

DEEP BREATHS...

You got this. “Hello Everyone, I am Alicia Tanner one of the ten Candidates for Minister.” She smiled out to the crowd, pausing to not only gather her thoughts but also to breathe. “Some of you might remember me from my many years working as the Ministry Jurisprudent within Wizengamot, and others for my work in the Department of International Cooperation, and others might just know me from the deliveries of different treats that I still drop off at the ministry from time to time as a thank you for all of your wonderful work” yeah she was the Tea lady. Her nickname had been Ali-Tea when she first worked at the ministry. “Now, my platform for this campaign is simple. I believe that all employees in our magical community should at least receive a living wage. Now, this isn’t my only campaign platform there is more” she smiled again and glanced around the room at everyone. No, her hand was not shaking...okay maybe it was. But that was normal. “one thing I hold dear to my heart is the safety of our children, we were all students of one magical education system or another even if we trained at Beauxbaton, Salem, Durmstrang, or Hogwarts to name a few. Now we have all seen the Daily Prophet’s reportings on issues that have arisen at the schools now, such as the appearance of the Black ship in 2075?” Her smile wasn’t that happy right now. That one had hit home for her.

"A pirate's ghost, because of this possessed my own stepdaughter; still, more recently there was the ice storm that engulfed Hogwarts. As minister I will try to send delegates to deduce whether the situation is safe for not only our students but for the faculty and staff as well.” She smiled. "These are just some of the reasons why I want to help the ministry and help raise another generation, a generation that is and will be our future." There. She had done it! She smiled, nodded "thank you" she quietly spoke as she stepped off of the podium and returned to where Victoria was standing near her family and the other candidates that she was also interviewing.

As Alicia stood up at the podium and spoke, Simon turned his attention to her to listen intently. It was good for the most part but the last mention caused him to make a face, Why did she have to bring up that ship? That pirate ghost posession. That time in his life he'd much rather forget, and he was sure Kyle likely did too. The auror did his best to push the dark feeling aside, clapping after a small delay as she finished.

SPOILER!!: Cosi and Mariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarShine View Post
Cosgrach nodded at MLE man, Simon. "The pleasure is mine." He would have chatted lightly, but Victoria was busy making it to the papers, so he politely turned his attention to the reporter and his wife.

He chuckled back at the newspaper man. Of course they remembered him. "Well, you could call it a success: I have a wife now." They didn't meet through them, but they made him popular. Hehe.

Then, his attention was back at his wife, and his chest filled with even more pride. He was this woman's husband, who had the most brilliant ideas ever. He smiled sweetly and kissed her cheek back briefly. Yes, her point of view for the school was quite different than the rest: she wanted a better communication, not interference. He hoped the reporter would note that difference.

And soon, the man was gone. "Have a nice day, sir," he called as a goodbye at him before he was gone, and grinned at Victoria. "Of course. My woman is going to be the Ministry, I'd rather die than miss it."

Oh, look, her BFF was there too. "Hello Mariel," he cordially greeted her back, "My place is next to my wife's." Especially while she was going through such a difficult phase. He had to support her. The school could survive without him for a while.

"I hope the baby is well?" He still hadn't had time to visit them, give his birth present and wish a good life. He wanted to apologise for that, but another candidate was on podium...

...criticising some 10 year old event.

Seriously. Wasn't she undermining The Headmistress that Hogwarts thankfully had? Someone should have told her she was running for the minister, not headmistress. But Cosgrach wasn't complaining at all - this meant Victoria had just eliminated another opponent.

He could only hope the rest of the candidates were like this.

Quote:
Derisive laughter? Really? That was how a ministerial candidate felt it appropriate to respond to a Ministry Department Head's rebuttal of her allegations? It would seem Roxanne Carter had a bit to learn about how to handle herself if she wanted people to actually elect her to the office..

No, really.. a LOT to learn apparently. Mariel gave the woman a scandalized look then narrowed her eyes as Roxanne grasped a hold of her chin. "Take your hands off of me," she demanded, pulling her face back out of the woman's grasp. Who did that? She paid literally no attention to the rubbish spewing from the woman's mouth at this point. Ms. Carter was obviously clueless to the needs of the Ministry and the community, she was wasting no more time with her. Pretty much the only thing that kept Mariel from snapping in response to the woman's inappropriate behavior was the satisfaction in knowing that Ms. Carter's campaign was pretty much doomed at this point, but she only had herself to blame. Even if Mariel would take some credit for that.

Oh, was she done now? It would figure that the woman would think that she could have the last word and walk away without giving her the chance to respond. But as it happened, Mariel spotted her husband in the direction that Roxanne was headed so she took the opportunity to offer her parting thoughts as she also walked that way. "If nothing else at least the voters know what kind of reaction to expect from their potential Minister when she's faced with some criticism," she said sweetly, with only a hint of smugness. "But I doubt anyone else will appreciate such a patronizing, dismissive attitude.. or manhandling a person who has concerns with her issues." Certainly crossing a line in her book. "And I'll be sure to ask my husband write a glowing review of tonight's events," she added just before she steered clear of the woman altogether. That was what all the candidates wanted, right? Good press?

Ugh. Mariel was thoroughly annoyed, but she had a reason for being at this event and it was not to get riled up, at least not in the sense that it happened. Approaching Jorge and his coworker, she gave them both a knowing smile, certain they had both witnessed events. Not that she wanted that to have happened, but she really felt that she had no choice but to defend her hardworking department. "Hello, Tori," she greeted the redhead before slipping an arm around Jorge's waist and look up at him. "I think I should go home soon."

SPOILER!!: Victoria, Cossy, Simon

"Oh, I'm fine," Mariel smiled at Victoria at the question. She was certain that she caught the confrontation, but had she heard what the woman said.. and did? She felt it necessary that her words be heard by the woman - as she would bring her concerns to the Minister, though probably more polite unless there were unfounded allegations there as well. But she really wanted to put that out of her mind for now. She was here for Victoria's support.

And she was very pleased that the woman's husband was also there for support, knowing that it could have been difficult for him to get away from the school. "Regina's doing wonderfully," she said, smiling brighter. "Thank you for asking.. it was a bit difficult to leave her though." It was the first time she was gone for any length of time from her newborn baby and she was starting to feel an urge to get back to her.

Feeling almost as if she was intruding on husband and wife time as the couple discussed getting something to eat, green eyes fell on Simon Bennett as he stood nearby. "Are you a Victoria Culloden supporter or still leaving your options open?" she asked him curiously. He did agree with her earlier sentiments so perhaps he leaned that way, though there were others speaking as well which she vaguely tried to listen to before she would take her leave.

Pleasantries exchanged with the professor and a couple of more candidates speaking up and finally it seemed perhaps Simon should be off to mingle further. He didn't want to feel like a nuisance as others started leaving the group. However before he made his move, Mariel spoke up in polite question, the inquiry directed at him. "Well I had narrowed it down to a few including Victoria, but its getting stronger towards her." Might as well be truthful. " One former coworker failed and the other...well still on the fence about."