View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 02:01 AM   #52 (permalink)
AmbiguouslyMe

SA & DMLE
Mooncalf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hazel Martin-Pryce
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Denny De Palma

Ministry RPG Name:
Nicky Iver

Diagon Alley Employee:
Scout MacIntyre
Daily Prophet Reporter
x4
Default applause for Sherman, reply for Gavin, and PODIUM POST
Granddaddy Ravenclaw | | Jermione Granger

Preston turned to give his full attention to Sherman Clark and found himself nodding. It seemed that there were some things that they two men certainly agreed on. He would have to find the older gentleman later and have a proper conversation. Turning back to Gavin, he spoke. "I believe now is as good a time as any to put forward my platform. If you'll excuse me," he nodded to both Gavin and the other candidate.

---------

Preston approached the podium, extracting the parchment for his remarks from his pocket and placing it down in front of him. Next came his simple, black glasses. His posture was straight, his voice steady, his face calm.

“Good evening,” he began. “For those of you who do not yet know me, I am Preston Kingsley. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you tonight, both from this podium and then throughout the evening. Before I begin, please allow me to commend the organizers of this event for a wonderful gathering. The opportunity for those in public service to hear from their constituents is a vital part of any healthy system of government.”

Preston rested both hands on the edges of the podium, speaking clearly and directly, attempting to make eye contact with as many people looking his way as possible. “Some have wondered at my decision to run, given what appears to be a lack of experience within the Ministry of Magic, save for a few years when I was a younger man.” Preston paused, eyes surveying the crowd. “But what is often not known beyond my many years, first as a private educator and then as a professor at Hogwarts, is that I also have deep experience consulting on issues of staffing, education, legislative affairs, and policy creation, some here and much abroad. In many places, consultants are an unseen force, helping to shape the breakthroughs credited to others. And that is how I preferred my service to be until this point. It is my firm belief that what we do at the ministry is a act of service to our larger communities and I wish to take a moment to thank Minister Kettleburn for his tireless service and wish him well on his new endeavours.”

Preston paused, to allow those gathered to show their appreciation. “I seek the position of Minister not in service to my own ego, but in service to Wizarding Britain, as I believe that I can provide steady, disciplined, and future-focused leadership. My priorities are simple: First, promote a culture of two-way communication by which the work of the ministry is made more transparent and the needs and concerns of our community more easily find their way to those in leadership. Second, undertake an examination of statutes currently on the books to see which continue to serve us well and which are remnants of an earlier time. I applaud the organizers of the carpet symposium for opening the conversation about the merits of our carpet ban. Regardless of your personal position, such discussion and debate should always be welcome. It is my hope that more such conversations will be had. And third, encourage and incentivize forward-thinking initiatives in all departments through careful consideration of staffing needs, resources, and high standards for all employees.”

“And finally..” Preston reached up to remove his glasses, offering a rare chuckle and sparing a look at Gavin Isaacs as he folded up his prepared notes. “many of the candidates have spoken about Hogwarts this evening. As someone who has worked at that institution, I suspect a lack of comment at this juncture would be perceived in a variety of ways, some flattering and some not. I want to be clear: a Kingsley administration would take quite seriously the quality of wizarding education, not just at Hogwarts, but in homeschool settings and within the practice of some families to send their children abroad.” He scanned the room, allowing his gaze to rest on the reporters. “Rest assured, this is not an intention to meddle in the affairs of Hogwarts or attempt to supersede the Board of Governors who are charged with managing their own affairs. Rather, I propose the ministry as a collaborative partner and conversation convener to examine ways to enhance our children’s education and, in turn, bolster our entire community’s well-being now and into the future.”

Preston looked out over the gathered crowd once more. “Thank you. I look forward to sharing more with you as the campaign progresses.” With a nod and a smile, Preston made he way back into the seating area.

Has anyone ever sung you a lullaby?
You can fly above the rain clouds
Close your eyes
Let the melody carry you
Leave all your fears behind

You can float across a rainbow sky
to once upon a time