View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 AM

Post Daniel Radcliffe admits to film 'Tokyo Vice' after 'The Cripple of Inishmaan' NYC run

Daniel Radcliffe admitted recently that his next project will be the film adaptation of Tokyo Vice, which will be shot in Japan around August, while chatting with USA Today about The Cripple of Inishmaan. Dan also commented on his attachment to the biopic Brooklyn Bridge, and hopes to film it sometime in the next couple of years.

Quote:
He's nonetheless slated to shoot another movie after Inishmaan completes its run: Tokyo Vice, adapted from Jake Adelstein's 2009 memoir. "I play an American journalist who becomes very involved, shall we say, with the Yakuza — the Japanese mafia. On one hand, it's a very smart and interesting look at Americans in other countries, but it's also a great, real-life thriller."

Radcliffe has already completed screenwriter Max Landis' new adaptation of Frankenstein, directed by Paul McGuigan, due next year. He plays the legendary lab assistant Igor, "which was a lot of fun. I had very long hair extensions, and was quite glad to have them taken out. It's a retelling of the story from Igor's point of view, about his relationship with Frankenstein. They start off very well-intentioned, but then Frankenstein's ego goes off the deep end, and he has to be pushed back to some sort of sanity."

Another project that Radcliffe has in the pipeline — perhaps not surprisingly, given his affection for a certain city — is a film titled Brooklyn Bridge, with a screenplay by Douglas McGrath (Bullets Over Broadway, Emma).

"It's one of the best scripts I've read," Radcliffe says, eyes widening again. "It's a wonderful history of how the bridge was built — an absolute love story to the city of New York, and to America in general. You know, there are hundreds of millions of people who cross that bridge every year and don't have any idea of the amazing story behind it."
Dan also spoke to the Associated Press this week about his run in The Cripple of Inishmaan, bringing it to New York, and portraying the title role in the Broadway play this spring. The Cripple of Inishmaan is in previews this week, and will have its opening night this coming Sunday.

Quote:
"It's just something we are so unaccustomed to in England," Radcliffe says. "Obviously, it's a sign of being very liked and that's lovely. It's just something I don't think I'll ever get used to."

"People who know the more brutal side of him will come to this play and be quite surprised by how moving it actually is," he says. "It's a beautiful play and a sad play and hopefully a play that will get people laughing despite themselves."

"You're on dodgy ground a little bit when you're an able-bodied actor playing a character who lives with a disability. So I want to make it as authentic as I possibly can and by that I didn't just mean learning the physical, superficial mechanics of a disease and mimicking them," Radcliffe says.

"It's so much more than that and I think it would be very offensive to people to think you could just play a disability as if it's like putting on a hat."

"I think that is quite a good cross-section of my tastes and personality," he says. "I think I've always had the idea that one of the keys to longevity is diversity. If you do the same thing your entire life, people either get bored of you or you get bored of doing the same thing. Either way, it's not good."

"At a time when everyone else was saying, `Oh, he's only going to be Harry Potter,' New York just said, `Well, let's see. Let's let him try to do something else.' That's a very cool thing to be given that opportunity."