Thread: IC vs OOC
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
TeafortheSoul
Formerly: Tegz
Dark Force Defense League

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
I have a different angle on this same question, and I'm interested in what people think about it. Recently in my own RPing, I realized that I was becoming completely inflexible in my IC vs OOC interpretation, to the point where I almost chose not to participate in certain plots or take certain RP avenues that would have been fun for ME as the RPer, simply because it didn't fit perfectly into the narrative of my character or appeal to my sense of what was completely IC for him.

So my question is this... is it possible we sometimes let ourselves be SO ruled by a fictional voice in our head that we aren't open to experiencing all the RP has to offer? Sometimes plots will come up, opportunities will present themselves, homework will be assigned, and we can refuse to participate because the voice is silent on it, but WE are the ones missing that chance to play.

If we're honest with ourselves, there are already a LOT of OOC elements to the RP (Hogwarts is still open and professors still employed in spite of years and years of dangerous occurrences and deaths, first years know things they couldn't possibly in classes they've never taken before, the Ministry somehow manages to function without any bathrooms, classes IC take a month to finish, I can go on). I love the efforts we go to in order to make things as canon as possible, but this is also a game and meant to be fun. I dunno... I guess I'm just wondering if I can give myself permission to be a little more OOC when it comes to interacting with the RPG.

I'm not talking about asking a character to react differently to something than is in character for them... more like wondering if I'm taking this whole idea of "I can't control what the voice in my head makes me do" thing is actually detrimental to our own RP and the RP in general. Thoughts?
While I understand this, for me personally I don't feel like I am missing out when I choose to stick with an IC interpretation because West is the first character that I've gone as IC as possible with, and its a challenge and one that I (usually) enjoy. Its also a challenge as far as writing goes and gives me the chance to flex my writing muscles which is really important to me. I essentially want to write his story in a way that reads well as much as anything. And in books if things don't make sense or seem particularly ooc just for plot or shock value or anything else, then I don't tend to enjoy them. So yeah for me its about the writing challenge of it, after having already got my feet wet with characters with which I have been a lot more easy going with.

At the end of the day if there is something that is ooc for him that I REALLY want to participate in, or make happen, then I will find a way. That's part of the challenge too- but likewise if its ooc for him and I feel like putting him in that situation actually won't be enjoyable to play out, then there isn't much point either.

I guess I've done the whole 'take things as they come' approach, (and actually intend to do so with my next charrie Ruby who is far less particular about how things should BE) so for this particular charrie, being more inflexible about how I play him in regard to IC/OOC was an active choice.

So in short I agree there is a balance, but as long as you're aware of your choices and make them for reasons that are right for you... then at the end of the day you're still getting enjoyment out of the RP and you aren't giving yourself the short shrift.

OH and MLE has bathrooms XD just saying. hah

love is like a letter wrote :: and life is like an envelope
be careful who you give it to :: they might not give it back to you