View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Post Emma Watson promotes "The Bling Ring" at Cannes Film Festival press events, premiere

Emma Watson and the cast of The Bling Ring made the press rounds on Thursday at the Cannes Film Festival in France, where they discussed the project during the film's press conference, and attended a photo call and world premiere for the crime drama, directed by Sofia Coppola. Those in attendance included Emma's costars Israel Broussard, Katie Chang, Taissa Fariga, and Claire Julien, and Coppola as well.

Various publications released quotes from the press conference, including the Associated Press, USA Today, and The Hollywood Reporter, where Emma talked about transitioning on from the Harry Potter series, watching a great deal of American reality television to understand her character's mentality, and working hard to portray the role of Nicki. Those quotes, and photos from all three events, can be seen here. The Bling Ring hits theatres in the U.S. on July 14 in New York City and Los Angeles, and expands nationwide on the 22nd.

Quote:
“I watched a lot of Kardashians, I watched a lot of Paris Hilton, I watched some of The Hills, and then really I was just trying to understand [Nicki’s] psychology,” said Watson. “Because you might easily have made Nicki feel like a parody ... and somehow I had to understand and empathize with her and really that was my biggest challenge second to getting the accent down.”

“It’d be very easy for Nicki to feel like a parody,” Watson said. “Somehow I had to understand and empathize with her, and that was really biggest challenge, second to getting the accent down. It’s quite a specific dialect.”

"I had to get the accent down, the dialect," said Watson. "That took a lot of time."

Quote:
"I'm not trying to run away from [Harry Potter]," Watson said... "I'm very proud of the work that I did. I'm just really enjoying having the chance to transform into new roles."

"It's strange for me because Harry Potter seems like such a long time ago," said Watson. "So much has happened over the last three or four years. But obviously it's very present in people's minds and living rooms."

"I am used to really having to stick to my lines. Because people really know them by heart," said Watson. "So it was lovely to ad-lib or improvise [in The Bling Ring]. It was really special."

“I could work in a way that was a lot more loose than I was used to,” Watson said.