View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Post Videos: Daniel Radcliffe talks "Kill Your Darlings", Harry Potter costars at Sundance

Daniel Radcliffe continued his promotion of Kill Your Darlings throughout the weekend at the Sundance Film Festival, discussing some of its more mature themes with MTV and attending dinners and events to highlight the feature. Dan chatted about some of the sex scenes he had to shoot for the feature, in which he portrayed gay beat generation poet Allen Ginsberg - a first for him on-screen.

Quote:
"It's interesting that it's deemed shocking. For me, there's something very strange about that because we see straight sex scenes all the time. We've seen gay sex scenes before. I don't know why a gay sex scene should be any more shocking than a straight sex scene. Or both of them are equally un-shocking."

"What weirded me out the most last night was people were asking me all these questions about the gay sex scenes. I was like, 'You know I did 'Equus?' " Radcliffe laughed. "Some people are asking me questions like this is a more shocking subject, which is so strange."

"We didn't really have time to feel awkward," he explained. "I think we shot the thing in about an hour, hour and a half or something like that. You just kind of had to get it done. I'm trying to avoid using phrasing that could slip into innuendo!"
At the red carpet premier of Kill Your Darlings, Dan commented to HitFix on his support for Harry Potter costars Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as they venture on to different projects.

Quote:
On playing young Ginsberg: "It was really just about diving into his life and his diaries from his teenage years are readily available," Radcliffe says. "So, that was an amazing source of insight. Especially his relationship with his mother because he was a kind of awkward slightly socially awkward guy when he first got to Columbia, but he really has a sense of himself and of being something special. He's nervous about that, but there's one bit in his diaries where he [writes] something like 'I composed the first 16 bars of a concerto this morning. I'm really rather happy with it.' And hew as like 14 when he wrote it. There was a lot for me to work with thankfully."

"I think everyone likes to think that me, Emma and Rupert are always in each others pockets, but at this time in our careers it's really important for us to find success outside of the context of each other. Cause we have to. But, yeah, it's fair to say we'll be bonded forever and we are all special to each other."
A clip from the premiere screening, where the cast and director chatted about the film's production, was released online and can be found here.

Dan posed for photos at Sundance for Kill Your Darlings' promotion, with Entertainment Weekly, Variety, the Associated Press, and a press dinner for the movie; those images, with costars Jack Huston, Ben Foster, Michael C. Hall and Dane DeHaan, and director John Krokidas, can be found below. Presently Kill Your Darlings has not been bought up by a production company yet for national or international theatrical distribution.