View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Nabs
Hufflepuff
Dark Force Defense League
Sphinx

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Vannacutt
Nabs!Ama | | The Happy Hufflepuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
I know what you mean, Nabs, because I have SUCH high expectations, and I'm still feeling a little disappointed by this effort of hers. It's as if she's set out to write a boring book.... maybe I just don't feel connected to all the married people, or all the Britishness? but the one part JKR does do well...

SPOILER!!: don't click this unless you're past idk, page 120
...is the part about Krystal Wheedon, and the Fields. She captures their accents SO well, still, it reminds me a bit of Hagrid. But I'll pass on the others. I am ridiculously bored by Samantha and Miles and Howard and Fats (I hate that kid); Shirley is somewhat amusing, with her Hospital Volunteering that is Oh So Important It Is Like a Royal Visit; and I like Andrew and Sukhvinder (sp?? I was almost crying when she was cutting); but the rest of the adults just make me.... sad. And bored.

They also make me never want to grow up to be a middle-aged, married adult with teenaged children. GOOD LORD NO.
I really don't mind the Britishness of it all, didn't even notice it except for the fact that it's a very small town thing, which is present is most books that I read anyway. But...

SPOILER!!: in response to that
I suppose it's the hopelessness of it all, how they seem to have a very bleak outlook on things, how contained it all is, etc. Unlike for younger children's books, there's always the hopeful future tone, but for these characters, they've pretty much given in to the fact that this is it.

Nikolai Vannacutt

RP Character Biographies
Ellebug Baking Blog

Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote