View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
PhoenixRising

DMAC & DERP
Quintaped

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Amelia Adara
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emma Montmorency (#301199)
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Chloe Michelle Adara
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
TiaMarie Mancini
Ecological Protection

x12 x8
YesJess! | Captain Goggles | Mama Badger | Eva's Soul Sister | An OG™ | It's all in the Numbers

Chapter Thirty-Three: Paragrams
[Numbers in Literature]

Paragrams
Number mysticism got its start in Ancient Greece, with Pythagoreas & the Pythagoreans in the sixth century B.C.

Paragrams could be considered a type of wordplay, which is to say that they imply words to be graceful, well-placed even. They are derived from a Greek phrase meaning "jokes by the letter". Hobbes in 1674 said on paragram usage; "... paragrams, that is allusions of words are graceful, if they be well-place." It is commonly used in literature, in particular, poetry with all lines having the same sum; it is a small extension to constructing parallel passages. It provides an example of the power of numbers. Numbers have power, but numbers do not control events and coincidence happen.

Paragrams are an art form that sprang from Gematria, which is the practice of assigning numbers to letters and thus words to better understand their mystical significance.

How they work:
Use the Pythagorean Number system to assign numbers to letters in words. Then add up each letter's value to find the value of the word. If done correctly, there should be some symmetry between word values and phrase values, when compared to subsequent phrases in a paragraph.

Common Uses:
Paragrams are more about symmetry, for instance, poetry with all lines having the same sum and construction of parallel passages.

NOTE: Most information in this Chapter must be credited to . More information can be found here.

Nice to meet you, where you been? ______________I could show you incredible things

Magic. Madness. Heaven. Sin________________You look like my next mistake

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 08-20-2014 at 07:24 PM.