View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 PM

Post J.K. Rowling set to receive Freeman of the City of London honour on May 8, 2012

The City of London announced this week that Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling would receive the Freeman of the City of London honour come May 8, 2012. The recognition will be given do to her "services to children’s literature," most notably the seven-part Harry Potter series. A ceremony of the event will take place at the Lord Mayor’s official residence, The Mansion House, where Rowling will commence with a reading of the Declaration of a Freeman, and "end with her being greeted by Chris Bilsland, Chamberlain of London, as a ‘Citizen of London’ and the presentation of her framed parchment certificate."

Rowling commented on being recognised for the achievement, even instilling a Harry Potter joke in between.

Quote:
“Both my parents were Londoners. They met on a train departing from King’s Cross Station in 1964, and while neither of them ever lived in London again, both their daughters headed straight for the capital the moment that they were independent. To me, London is packed with personal memories, but it has never lost the aura of excitement and mystery that it had during trips to see family as a child.

“I am prouder than I can say to be given the Freedom of the City, which, on top of all the known benefits (and few people realize this), entitles me to a free pint in The Leaky Cauldron and a ten Galleon voucher to spend in Diagon Alley.”
The press release notes that Rowling will not take part in personal interviews, though if and when footage of speeches, and photos, are made available on Tuesday, May 8, we will have them here. Congratulations to J.K. Rowling on the prestigious honour.