Thread: Character: The Phoenix - Sa13+
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #105 (permalink)
Wonderstruck
Gryffindor

SS Featured Writer
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jeremy Bradford
Fifth Year
Default Chapter Twelve: Part Four
"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."

I didn't say anything, Snape making a point of not looking at my face as I tried to control the emotion that was running through me. My greatest fear was that this connection between her and I would be something similar to what Harry and Voldemort have. I was afraid that I wouldn't be strong enough to do what I needed to do, but it was a different matter completely to be afraid that someone would be able to control your will whenever they wanted without the use of a wand. Fortunately for me the opportunity to return to the conversation was stunted by the sudden appearance of Draco Malfoy, whose sleeve was being held with a rather firm grip by Filch. Professor Snape starred at Draco pointedly, whose eyes were shifted towards the ground after catching a glance at me.

"What is going on here?" Professor Slughorn asked, approaching Filch and Draco with a rather perplexed look. The scene had caused complete silence to rush across the party, leaving everyone wondering what was going to happen to the unwanted visitor.

"I found Mr. Malfoy here snooping outside the party. When I asked to see his invitation he said he had none so I thought I would bring the little rascal in to see you," said Filch with a rather arrogant and satisfactory look on his face.

"I can explain Professor Slughorn," I said, stepping forward before anyone even had time to look at Draco for a sign of guilt to this accusation. "Draco and I are working on a little homework assignment and I asked him to meet me outside the party so we could go to the library before it closed," I said with a little smile.

I had been expecting for Professor Snape to object or at least try and stop me, but from his emotion I could tell that he wasn't going to say anything, and if he did it would only be to back my claim by saying the homework assignment was for his class. I had to admit I was surprised by the gesture but it looked like he was trying to turn over a new leaf in our relationship and I wasn't complaining. It was Harry who seemed angry and perplexed. I shot him a look to say it was fine, of which he gave a small nod consenting but still not happy.

"Ahh, well, I dare say you two best be off then," said Professor Slughorn with a small smile.

"Thank you Professor," I said with another warm smile before starting to lead the way out of the room. Filch let go of Draco but rather reluctantly and not without a few scoffs of disbelief towards mostly Professor Snape whom he could usually count on to help him punish bad students.

"That was a close one," Draco said once the sound of the party was nothing more than a murmur.

"Yeah, well you're lucky that Snape is trying to get back on my good side or I wouldn't have been able to help you at all. What were you thinking lurking outside the party like that? Did you honestly think no one would notice?"

"Well I was hoping you would notice with that special talent of yours," Draco snapped with a general wave of the hand around where my head was. I shot him a look before rolling my eyes and pulling him into a completely empty classroom and locking the door. I cast a quick muffling charm over the door so that any unwanted passerbys wouldn't hear what we were discussing.

"So I am assuming you have something to tell me?" I said, letting out a little sigh.

"Yeah, it's about your mother."

"What about?" I said, my body instinctively tensing.

"Okay, so you know how they want me to kill...you know...well from what I have gathered it seems like You-Know-Who wants your mother to kill you."

"Thanks...I had deducted that much for myself already," I said with a gentle shrug.

"No, no, but it's more than that Abby. You-Know-Who is working on something I feel it. It's almost like he's setting up the game pieces so that you'll have no choice but to try and kill her and she'll have no choice but to try and kill her. That's why you can't bond with Harry Abby. You can't let him set things up the way he wants to."

"I already told you I won't bond with Harry," I said, expecting Draco to have more than what was already a know fact.

"Yeah, but you say that now but I can tell you that they are going to do everything in their power to make it seem like there will be no way to save Harry unless he has your magic to help him. I don't know what exactly they're going to do, but I need you to stick to this Abby."

The look in Draco's eyes screamed desperation, so I gave him the firmest answer that I would not bond with Harry that I could. "So what exactly is he after?" I asked Draco, taking a seat at one of the desks. Draco sat down at the desk in front of mine, sitting sideways so that he could look at me.

"I don't know. He's trying to get something," Draco said with a small shake of the head. "He only talks to Bellatrix about these matters though so getting information has not been easy. Not to mention the pressure I am getting to complete my responsibilities."

"But you aren't going to do that, right?"

"I don't know if I'll have much choice!" Draco said, frustration coming through. "They won't kill me if I fail...they'll kill my family and I can't bear having that guilt with me the rest of my life."

"Draco, your parents made their beds when they chose to become Death Eaters before you were even born. You can't hold yourself responsible for the consequences of their choices."

"But this would be a consequence of mine," Draco spat back. "It's been given to me as my duty, and my failure will result in their deaths."

"I won't let that happen Draco," I said, extending my hand and grabbing his arm. "We'll figure something out."

"Yeah?" Draco said, not completely convinced but willing to cling to my mere suggestion of hope.

"Yeah...I think I may have an idea."

If you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go