Thread: Character: The Phoenix - Sa13+
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #96 (permalink)
Wonderstruck
Gryffindor

SS Featured Writer
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jeremy Bradford
Fifth Year
Default Chapter Twelve: Part Two
"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."

Thanks for the lovely comments guys!

Upon returning to the table we found Ron and Harry in their own deep conversation which was broken up the moment that Ron spotted us. We didn't ask what they had been speaking about and they hadn't asked us, but I got the sense from Ron that whatever the conversation had been about was something that warranted him feeling slightly awkward and embarrassed. The rest of the afternoon went quickly as did the two days leading up to the unexpected party, and before I really had time to adjust I was standing in front of the body length mirror in the girl's dormitory staring at myself.

I was wearing a long, black, halter top dress that was tight on the top until the material hit my hips where it flared out into a kind of puffy and flowing bottom. I had to admit that the black against my skin these days almost made me look like one of those vampires that teenage muggle girls spent their time swooning over, and my eyes pop such a sharp blue color that they almost looked like those deep blue crystal rocks that one can sometimes find in rock exhibits. I had pulled my sleek black hair into a side bun before slipping into a pair of simple black heels.

Hermione had been sitting on her bed, looking into a bewitched mirror that helped one to more effectively apply make up as I was observing myself. She was sporting a simple peach colored dress that made her skin have a certain natural glow to it, that went down in a v shape in both the front and the back. It fell down to just above her knees much like my dress, and gave her an overall very stunning body shape. I had personally always found Hermione pretty, but unfortunately our standard Hogwarts robes didn't really allow much for our bodily figures, and usually gave everyone a slightly washed out look.

"Are you ready?" I asked Hermione as she leaned back from the mirror, snapping it shut before giving her lips a little rub together.

"I am. You really look lovely in that dress Abby," Hermione said with a smile.

"I could say the same to you," I said, returning the smile before heading to the door and opening it.

Harry was down in the common room in his robes already, talking politely to the portrait of a rather old man who was arguably one of Hogwarts' biggest Quidditch fans. Naturally given Harry's situation in such matters the man always took advantage of chatting to Harry whenever he got him alone. He politely excused himself as we reached the bottom of the steps, Harry's mouth falling open slightly as he spotted me. If I was capable of blushing anymore I am sure my own cheeks would have flushed a deep red, but all I could do was give him a slightly embarrassed smile before shifting my eyes to the ground. Despite dating Harry for a year now I still felt my heart flutter quite a bit whenever he seemed to be taken aback by my beauty.

"You both look stunning," Harry said with a warm smile.

"Thank you Harry. You look dashing as well," Hermione said with a little smile.

"Shall we go?" Harry asked, holding out his arm so that I could take a hold of it. We walked through the portrait, the fat lady giving us compliments as we went down the steps, and headed on the rather long and somewhat nerve racking track to the dungeons.

I couldn't help but notice that Ron had managed to keep himself unseen throughout the course of the day, carefully making sure that he strategically had to go and do something right before Hermione and I went up to get ready. Although I had been slightly nervous about this plan, Hermione decided to invite Cormac to the party with her, and since he had a meeting with Professor McGonagall regarding some class assignment, he was going to meet us down in the dungeons. Hermione knew that it was going to make Ron jealous, and she was absolutely right, but I wasn't entirely sure that Hermione was really aware of how much Cormac wanted to...snog her. I gave her fair warning of course and she nodded, assuring me that she could handle herself and if not Harry and I were there. With that final argument the matter was settled.

We were partially down the steps when spotted Cormac who had a rather smug look on his face. I put on the most sincere looking smile that I could muster as we greeted him before heading into the room.

It was incredible how light and airy that had managed to make the whole room look. There were colorful purple shaded streamers hanging around the entire room with small floating orbs of light that weaved in and out creating an almost mystical feel. Deep red carpets had been laid out across the tile floor and small circular tables were set up around the outlying walls of the room, each one sporting a different kind of food. Walking around were students in white suits holding trays with various kinds of drinks on them, my eyes falling with a bit of shock of Neville Longbottom who was engaging in conversation with a rather old looking woman I didn't recognize. It occurred to me that there might be people that are not Hogwarts students here.

"Wow. They're really out done themselves," Cormac said with a whistle. "Shall we get something to eat?" Cormac asked, taking a hold of Hermione's hand and leading her away before Hermione even had a chance to respond. She looked back at Harry and me somewhat nervously.

"I really don't like him" Harry said to me, watching them as they went.

"Neither do I, but it's Hermione's date so we should respect that."

"I don't understand. Out of all the people to ask..."

I turned and shot Harry a look to imply that it was ridiculous that he even had to ask that.

"I know, I know. Ron."

I gave him a grim look before we headed towards one of the nearest food tables where there seemed to be an assortment of miniature sandwiches. I picked one up and took a bite, nodding my head and smiling before giving Harry a thumbs up that he should try it. He took one and shoved it rather un-tactfully into his mouth. I couldn't help but start laughing as Harry's cheeks puffed out in chipmunk like fashion. He swallowed before giving his own little laugh.

"I'll be right back. I'm going to get us something to drink."

I nodded as he went off, turning around to grab another bit of food when I suddenly became aware of how incredibly close someone was to me. Looking up I spotted the face of a man that gave my paleness a run for its money. Upon my initial shock at the man's rather stern and slightly disconcerting facial expression, I realized that the man was in fact a vampire.

"Um, excuse me," I said apologetically. "I didn't realize how close I was to you."

"I dare say you have such incredible self control." The man's voice was much higher pitched than I had been anticipating given his features.

"Sorry?" I said, not understanding what he meant.

"Well that boy you are with. His blood...it just...well it just pumps so strongly. How do you exert such self control?"

I couldn't stop my mouth from opening slightly as it occurred to me what the problem was.

"Oh. I'm so sorry but I believe you're mistaken. You see, I'm not a vampire," I said with an apologetic.

The man raised his eyebrows. "You're...you're not?" he managed to stammer out.

"No...I'm just uh...naturally paler than most," I said with a gentle shrug.

"No..no...there's definitely something different about you. You're much cooler than the other people in the room and your blood...it's just...different," the man responded, his eyes taking a new gleam to them that made me take a hesitant step back.

"My dear, dear, Frank!" Slughorn beamed, coming up behind him and giving him a rather thorough smack on the back. Frank shot Slughorn a look of deep anger and hatred. Apparently he was getting in the way.

"I see you've met our charming Abby! I'm sorry to take her away from you but I am afraid I need an opinion from her on something that I am afraid no one else is going to be qualified to give."

Before Frank had a chance to mutter a response Slughorn had his arm around my shoulder and was leading me away from the table. Never in my life had I ever thought that I would be so happy to have him by my side.

"You'll have to forgive Frank," Slughorn whispered with a nervous chuckle. "He's still getting used to the whole self-control thing."

If you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go