View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 PM

Default Review: Scene It? Harry Potter - The Complete Cinematic Journey app

By @Rotae (RJF)

I must start this with two confessions: firstly, I am, apparently, the kind of Harry Potter fan that will negate much needed sleep for a Harry Potter app to download (hopefully I will still be more Lupin than Snape with my students tomorrow!), and secondly that I have actually never played Scene It? before. Hopeless, I know, but true nonetheless!

So it was with some hesitation that I downloaded the huge (800+MB) new Harry Potter Scene It? app. A very large app to be sure, but as I soon discovered: it's large for a reason. First of all, the clarity is utterly amazing. This is very interesting for me given that Warner Brothers is yet to release an HD version of Harry Potter Spells for iPad - though admittedly Harry Potter Lego is also quite excellent in its graphics. The images are sharp and the controls are very quick to respond, giving you accurate results.

There are a variety of Deathly Hallows related questions presented in different ways: everything from watching a clip and answering questions, to unscrambling words and general trivia (including memorising cards and pairing up actor with character). Most of the questions were fairly easy for me as a pretty big fan, but the occasional one did give me pause for thought. I even got a couple wrong because I was too impatient! Younger players might have a bit of trouble with some minor character names, but because there's a variety of questions there's plenty of opportunity for success. I went through the rounds twice and all the questions were different, so you can play this app more than a couple of times.

There is also the option for Group Play where you all use the one iPad, and a Multiplayer option where you can each use your own device through Bluetooth or WiFi, which I predict to be VERY fun once I convince my friends to get it!

Overall I'd give this app four wands out of five. It would be nice to see some differentiation through level options, particularly for younger fans who want to play along, and some super hard questions for those of us craving a challenge. I'd definitely recommend it to a friend, and I can't wait for them to get it so we can duel it out like the great big Muggle geeks we are!

The Scene It? Harry Potter - The Complete Cinematic Journey app can be ordered at iTunes here.