View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wolf
Gryffindor
Horklump

And time for the fourth chapter.

Droo and Eevie, I am glad you enjoyed this last chapter. When I first wrote this fic, it was more for fun than with a precise idea in mind. Now, going through it again I'm polishing the bits a pieces here and there and overall, I'm loving doing it.

As a word of warning, the next two or three chapters might seem short, but I did not want to merge them. Shorter chapters means faster updates. They get longer later on.

I really hope you enjoy this next one.

Chapter 4: Anger and apologies

"Wake up sleepyhead!!!" was all that Yannick heard that morning before feeling cold water hit his face. He sat up in his bed with a start, hitting his head on the bed above his at the same time.

"Yaaaaaaaah!! What is the big idea Sean?" He asked his grinning friend. "It is only 9:00 AM and we are Sunday today. Last time I checked, we don't have any lessons on Sunday and I happen to want to sleep more."

"And waste one of the days which has the best autumn weather we have seen in a long time and also happens to be the day of our first outing to Hogsmeade? Mate, you are daft to have this thought while I am your roommate!" Sean answered. "Come on! Get out of bed and get dressed. I'll save you a seat at breakfast and then we're off to Hogsmeade. You'll love it there. And who knows... you might find something to buy for your little sweetheart as well..." he added with a mischievous grin.

"For the last time! She... is... not... my... SWEETHEART!" Yannick said, throwing his pillow at Sean who evaded it and went out the room.

"Sure, whatever, Nickie. See you at breakfast!" Sean told him playfully just before closing the door.

Yannick stood up grumbling and gathered his towel. A quick shower was definitely needed to wake him up fully… and cool him off too.

“You are awfully touchy on the subject of that girl, Yannick,” Zacharias said as he passed the boy who was finishing to dress.

“Don’t start,” Yannick replied, shooting him a glare.

“I won’t,” Zacharias said, putting his hands up in defense, “Just pointing it out, that’s all.”

Yannick grumbled and went to the boy’s common showers. While under the shower he wondered about Sean's behavior. It has been what... two weeks now since I met Alexandra and helped her with her beater practice? He thought as the spray washed the soap suds on his body, I have hardly spoken to her since then... well maybe once or twice in class and in the library... but nothing like the first time. Why is Sean insisting that she is my girlfriend? She's not. We are just... friends at most.

He finished off his shower and went back to the now empty dorm. He put on fresh and casual clothes for the day, still taking his cloak just in case it got chilly. He then set out to go and eat breakfast.

He noticed that most of the students were already eating when he entered the Great Hall and went to seat by Sean at the Hufflepuff table. He did not bother to answer to the questions of some Slytherins that asked him if he had learned to walk down the stairs yet. He still felt slightly annoyed by their constant remarks.

"These imbeciles are starting to get on my nerves." he muttered to Sean as he sat down.

"Who, the Snakes?" Sean asked while helping himself to some more bacon. "Don't worry, they do this to anyone they would like to get in trouble. Just don't react."

"I haven't" he answered. "Yet."

He took eggs and bacon along with a few toasts and poured himself a mug of pumpkin juice. He was halfway through his breakfast when he felt Sean nudge him with his right elbow.

"Babe alert! Two o'clock." He heard him mutter.

He looked up towards the entrance of the Great Hall and saw that Alexandra had just come in. She stood at the entrance, apparently looking for someone or somewhere to sit. Her eyes met his and she gave him a small smile and a discreet wave. He waved back and then saw her going to sit with Cynthia and the other 6th years at the Ravenclaw table. He was still looking at her back when he heard Sean muttering to him.

"Earth to Yannick. Earth to Yannick." Sean said "Stop gawking at her like that mate, you are making a fool of yourself more than anything and are bloody lucky she can't see you now."

Yannick brought his attention to his plate and quickly started to eat again.

"You know mate." Sean told him. "With reactions like these whenever she is around, you are going to have a hard time making me believe that you are not interested in her."

Yannick did not answer. He found it more interesting to separate the fat from his bacon than to answer him.

"Come on Nick, why don't you just talk to her?"

"I have talked to her." Yannick answered sharply.

"Oh yeah! I forgot... Sor-ry!" Sean snorted "Like what? Two? Three times? In two weeks?"

Yannick nodded.

"I also noted that she tried to engage conversation several times with you and each time you found a way to not talk to her." Sean added.

Yannick let out a sigh "Sean, what is your point?"

"My point?" Sean asked. "I'll tell you what my point is, you dunce. You have an absolutely gorgeous girl that is sending you hints that she is interested in you and you just shunt her off like she is not even there."

"What if I don't want to get to know her?" Yannick asked.

"Mate, are you daft?" Sean asked. "You know there are a few guys in Hogwarts running around trying to attract her attention?"

"No, I don't know and I don't care." he answered.

"Well wake up and smell the roses, Nick," Sean told him, "because she does."

"Oh, so she does, huh?" he asked Sean sarcastically.

"Yes." Sean answered seriously.

"How do you bloody know that, anyway?" Yannick asked.

“Uhm… maybe because I happen to be her best friend’s boyfriend?” Sean pointed out, “And also because she told me." Sean added.

"She told you?" He asked.

"Yes, two days ago." Sean replied. "When I was studying in the library with Cynthia. She came to me and asked me what was wrong with you and why you always found a reason not to talk to her."

"And?" Yannick asked, dreading the answer already.

"I told her that you were too shy." Sean answered.

"You told her that?" Yannick answered.

"Well it seemed obvious to me..." Sean started.

Yannick uttered a groan and hid his face in his hands.

"Great!" He said. "Just great! So now I am the shy little Frenchie who is afraid to talk to girls. I bet she laughed at that one." He added.

"She did not." Sean said seriously "She asked if we were planning to go to Hogsmeade this weekend and I told her that we were."

"Oh great, let me guess." Yannick said.

"She is meeting us this morning with Cynthia."

"Great Sean, real great." Yannick said standing up from his seat.

"Woah, where are you going?" Sean asked.

"Going somewhere I can cool off." he answered.

"Wait a minute Nick." Sean said grabbing his arm. "You cannot just not come. What will I say to her then?"

Yannick looked at Sean, his eyes were throwing daggers.

"Whatever you want. Now... let... go... of... me." He said slowly and evenly.

Sean, surprised of his friend's reaction, let go of Yannick's arm who then stormed out of the Great Hall, oblivious to the fact that his small outburst and sudden departure had been observed by someone.

He stormed through the entrance hall and walked out of the castle, heading towards the forbidden forest and the lake near it. Still brooding as he reached it, he went to sit down by a tree near the bank and looked at the water. He had been there for less than five minutes when a snort made him look to his left. Altair was there, sitting and shooting him what definitely a disapproving glare.

“Great,” Yannick muttered, “now, even you are against me.”

Altair let out a low growl that instantly made him regret those last words.

“I’m sorry, Altair,” he sighed, “I spoke out of spite and should know better.”

Altair cocked his head sideways, still looking at him.

“And yes, I’ll need to apologize to Sean, too,” he added, smiling a little.

Altair seemed to nod, before getting up and coming to lay by him, resting his head on his lap, Yannick scratching him behind the ear.

“I know Sean meant well,” Yannick said after a bit, “but I told him I was not here to woo girls.”

Altair snorted again and let out a small bark.

“Altair, you more than anyone should know how well my last one ended,” he said, sadness filling him as he remembered that fateful night.

The wolf let out a small whine.

“I refuse to be the cause of this to anyone else,” Yannick said, picking up a stone and throwing it into the lake.

Altair stood up again, walking between him and the lake before to turn and face him. His eyes told exactly Yannick what he thought of the situation.

“How would you know closing oneself off is not good?” Yannick asked, “I hardly ever see you with other wolves.”

"A wise statement from an equally wise companion," he heard a voice say right behind him.

Yannick stood up and turned around, finding himself facing Professor Dumbledore, who was looking at him amusedly. He shot a look back at Altair. A little warning next time maybe? He thought, the wolf shooting him back and innocent look.

"Professor." Yannick started, facing the headmaster again, "I had no idea you were here... I..."

"That's quite understandable, Yannick, and no need to apologize." Dumbledore answered. "You see, my office tends to get hot in the morning, it is the first place that the sun hits at the start of the day and this morning I decided to go out for a stroll to take some fresh air. While I was walking towards the entrance again I saw you and your companion by yourself. You were so immersed in your conversation that preferred to wait before saying anything."

Yannick looked at Dumbledore, not knowing what to say.

"Now that I do have your attention, let me ask you one question." Dumbledore continued. "Did you achieve what you came here for in the first place?"

Yannick was surprised at the question but then looked over the event of the morning. The conversation with Altair had taken his attention off his upset of the morning but he still felt angry.

"No professor." He answered

"Exactly." Dumbledore said. "You see Yannick, you can never resolve an upset by isolating oneself, but only by facing the upset and talking about it to someone, preferably the person responsible for that same upset. You should try to talk to your friends, I am sure you will find them to be very good listeners."

Yannick nodded at the sound advice. "I am sorry for my behaviour, Sir." he said.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Yannick." Dumbledore replied with a twinkle of amusement in his eye. "I suggest you go and enjoy the rest of this beautiful day with your friends. I am sure you will find Hogsmeade very amusing and relaxing. It has been a pleasure talking to you, Yannick." Dumbledore added before walking away towards the lake.

Yannick stood there for a minute before to look at Altair. The wolf’s eyes clearly said “I told you so”.

“Yeah, you did,” he told him before to kneel and embrace him, “Thank you, my friend.”

Altair rubbed his head against him before to lick him on the cheek, making Yannick chuckle.

“Want to join me at Hogsmeade?” he asked.

Altair let out a snort and shook his head. A visit to a town full of humans he did not know was not what he seemed to call a nice day.

“Alright, my friend,” Yannick said giving him an affectionate kiss on the top of the head before to stand up, “You go enjoy yourself in the forest then. I’ll see you later.”

He watched Altair head back into the forest and then went back to the castle, hoping to be able to find a fellow housemate that would help him get to Hogsmeade. He stepped into the entrance hall and found Sean there, standing together with Cynthia and Alexandra.

“All cooled off?” Sean asked him.

Yannick winced internally at the slight edge in his friend's voice.

“I'm sorry, Sean,” he said, “I should not have snapped at you like this. I know you meant well. It is just a bit of a sensitive area for me.”

“I understand, mate,” Sean said, putting a hand on his shoulder, “But don't go closing yourself up either. If you need to talk, I'm here, you know?”

“We all are,” Cynthia said, Alex nodding in agreement.

“Now, how about heading out and making you discover Hogsmeade?” Sean asked.

“Looking forward to it, mate,” Yannick replied, smiling.

Cynthia passed her arm around Sean's and headed out, Yannick following the couple with Alex.

"You forgot your cloak in the Great Hall this morning" she told him, handing it to him.

"Oh... I had not realized." he answered. "I... stormed out so fast that I completely forgot about it. Thanks."

"No problem." She told him.

They walked for a moment, not saying anything. Sean and Cynthia were busy talking to each other.

“I'm sorry for having avoided you, these past weeks,” Yannick said.

“It's okay,” Alex replied, “I'm guessing the sensitive area involves a girl, so I cannot really fault you for it.”

Yannick nodded.

“Want to talk about it?” she asked, apparently having seen his face close up a bit.

The darkness of the forest in that winter evening came up in his mind once more.

“Not really,” he replied after a minute, “I will eventually have to get it off my chest, but I'd rather not. Not on a day like today.”

“Fair enough,” she told him, “but if you ever want to, we are here,” she added, smiling.

“Thanks,” he said, smiling back.

“Don't mention it.”

“How long have they been together?” he asked, changing the subject and nodding to the couple in front of them who were still speaking close together.

“I think about a year now,” Alex replied, “but I think Sean had his eye on Cynthia for a while. I caught looks from him a number of times.”

“Cynthia, too?”

“Not at first, she only saw it when I tipped her to it,” she said, “understandable on her case.”

“Why?”

“A girl like her? If she had to spot all the looks she gets from guys, she'd go mental.”

Yannick chuckled at that. Alex had a point. Cynthia was indeed a very attractive girl. Dazzling smile, deep brown eyes, fair skin and long brown hair to the small of her back only added to her forms.

“You know, at first I did not think her relationship with Sean was going to last,” Alex said.

“Really?” Yannick asked.

“She had been in three relationships before Sean, each lasting a few weeks only,” Alex replied.

“A bit short.”

“Yes, but she ended each of them. The guys were more interested in her looks than who she was really,” Alex said, “I guess that they did not enjoy having a girlfriend that had good chances of being smarter than them,” she added, chuckling.

“They should have thought of that before trying to date a Ravenclaw,” Yannick said.

“Too true!” Alex agreed, “it is different with Sean though. They talk a lot, he makes her laugh and he seems to like her being able to hit back when they banter. I think they'll last for quite a while.”

“I hope they do,” Yannick said, “Sean really likes Cynthia.”

“Good for him,” Alex replied, “Of course, they do get a bit sickening when they go on like that too long,” she added winking at Yannick, her voice a bit louder so she knew the couple heard them.

“Well, Dewitt,” Cynthia replied, not raising her head from Sean's shoulder, “We'll just have to get you a boyfriend so you stop complaining,” she added, making Sean laugh.

“I'll be sure to get advice from you when I do get one,” Alex said, coming to pass an arm around her friend's shoulder.

They had arrived at Hogsmeade. They stood in the main street, Yannick looking around and finding the small village actually quite nice. Scores of students could be seen in the streets, alone, in couples or in groups, walking around and entering the different shops that lines the main street.

“So, where to first?” Cynthia asked.

“I need some new pads,” Alex said.

“I would not mind getting a few quills,” Yannick added, “my supply is getting low.”

“And I need some chocolate,” Sean said grinning.

“Alright, ladies first, so Spintwitches it is,” Cynthia said, “then we'll visit Scrivenshaft's, followed by Honeydukes.”

“Sounds good to me,” Sean said.

“Here, too,” Yannick and Alex said together.

The four friends, started walking again, milling with the rest of the students and intent on enjoying their first day out in the village.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Feel free to comment too.

*Wolf*

PS: My story follows the same time line than that of Entropist's fic, which can be found here. It is in my opinion an extremely good read.

["Discovery for a new student" © "Wolf" / "17 September 2004"/ reposted "27 September 2011"]

Last edited by Wolf; 10-14-2011 at 09:33 AM.