Thread: Character: The Phoenix - Sa13+
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #70 (permalink)
Wonderstruck
Gryffindor

SS Featured Writer
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jeremy Bradford
Fifth Year
Default Chapter Ten: Ron's Time to Shine
"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."

Thanks Rachel! I feel so touched by how much you're enjoying Abby Sa 13+ too

I wasn't sure why I was suddenly so in tune with what Ron was feeling, but what I did know was that I had gone from a pretty much completely dead to sleep to being wide awake. I rolled over on to my side and looked at the clock which was flashing 5:30 a.m. in my face. Oh you have got to be kidding me. Closing my eyes I reached out with my mind to figure out if Ron was merely awake in the boy's dormitory or if he had indeed gone down into the common room like I had suspected. Sadly, I was correct. Letting out a little sigh I flung my sheets back before I hopped out of bed and pulled my robe on rather slowly.

I quietly tip toed across the floor, trying to avoid the wooden floorboards that squeaked before I opened the door and slipped outside. Since the fire had gone out in the common room it was rather chilly on the stone steps that I was descending. Just as I had suspected, there was Ron sitting on the sofa, looking at the empty fire place while his knee went up and down from the nervous tapping of his foot. He hadn't even noticed me coming down the steps until I plopped down on the couch next to him.

"Hey Abby," Ron said looking slightly surprised. "What are you doing up at this hour?" he asked with a nervous little chuckle.

I shot him a look. "Oh, right, sorry about that." I had told them after my visit to the hospital wing and the bond between my mom and Voldemort that my telepathy and sense of people's emotions was even stronger than it used to be. Sometimes I didn't mind since it gave me a fair warning as to who was in a bad mood and who I should be avoiding, but other times I hated that I was in a constant state of t.m.i. with just about everybody; particularly new couples and stressed out students.

"So...you want to talk about it?" I offered while stifling a yawn.

"What's there to talk about? I'm just incredibly nervous," Ron said, letting out a little sigh. He was still tapping his foot frantically. I flung my arm out and put it on Ron's knee to get him to stop. "Sorry," he mumbled.

"You know it's alright to be nervous right?" I said with a gentle smile.

"It is?" said Ron, his voice cracking at the end from the surprise of that statement.

"Yeah it means that you care. People who aren't really concerned about how they do or whether or not their team wins. Those are the people that don't get nervous, and you don't want to be one of those people do you?" I asked.

"No, of course not. I want us to win! I would just hate to think that we might lose because of me."

I shifted slightly so that I was looking at him more. "Listen Ron all you can do is your hardest to make sure that that Quaffle does not go through that hoop. That is honestly all that your teammates can ask of you. If you try your absolutely hardest to protect those hoops than you are going to make your teammates and your housemates proud," I said with an encouraging nod of the head.

"I know..."Ron mumbled feebly. "But the pressure of knowing that I could be the reason why we lose is awful. I mean other than their seeker catching the snitch first, I am the only way the other team can gain points."

I looked at Ron, biting my lower lip. "Well you knew that when you tried out for the position Ron, but you aren't alone. You've got teammates who are going to do their best to make sure that the other team doesn't get a good opportunity to throw an amazing shot at you."

Ron nodded feebly. I could tell that my words were helping a little bit, but I could tell that really no matter what I said Ron was going to be a nervous wreck. Giving his knee a little squeeze I stood up. "Try to get some more sleep Ron. You'll need to be rested if you want to play your best."

He gave a little nod but he made no move to get up from the couch. With a little sigh I pulled out my wand and pointed it at the fire place. "Incendio," I mumbled, the spell igniting the embers and casting a warm light across the whole room. Without another word I shoved my wand back into my robe pocket and headed back upstairs to try and get some more sleep. Needless to say it was not all that restful or deep since Ron had stayed down in the common room the rest of the morning until suddenly the nerves I had been feeling were gone. Rolling over in my bed I looked at the clock to see that it was 8 in the morning. He must have headed down for breakfast.

I got showered and dressed slowly before heading down to the common room to do some reading before Harry and Hermione got up. When they came down, Harry dressed in his Quidditch attire, we headed to the Great Hall where we figured Ron was.

"How is Ron doing?" Harry asked. "When I got up this morning he was gone already, and he is never up this early."

"He was up since 5:30 this morning," I said with a little sigh. "His nerves were so strong that they pretty much brought me out of a dead sleep."

Harry and Hermione both gave me an empathetic look. "If Ron can't get his nerves under control this is going to be a rough game," Harry said, lowering his voice slightly since they had now entered the Great Hall.

"Maybe some words from the captain would go a long way," I offered, giving Harry a little nudge with my elbow.

Harry and Hermione sat down before me while I shot a glance over at the Slytherin table. Draco was sitting there, sandwiched between Crabbe and Goyle, and right across from Pansy Parkinson. From the fact that we made eye contact as soon as I looked over I gathered that Draco had been watching me since we had gotten in. It was times like these that I wished I could transfer thoughts to someone else as easily as I could read their own thoughts out of their heads. I gave him a sad little smile before sliding in next to Harry.

Ron was holding a goblet of orange juice, his hand shaking so violently that the whole goblet was shaking. If the glass had been full the motion probably would have caused the contents to be spilling out all over the place. Hermione put her hand on Ron's wrist, and the gesture seemed to allow his hand to stop shaking.

"You've got to pull yourself together Ron," Harry said, taking a bite of a piece of bacon. "You're going to do brilliantly."

"Easy for those who have natural Quidditch abilities to say."

"Oh shush Ron," snapped Hermione briskly. "You have natural Quidditch abilities too."

While Hermione and Ron were looking at one another, both with stubborn expressions on their faces, Harry pulled something out of his pocket, keeping nothing but the top concealed. I looked at it curiously as Harry stuck his hand out, tilted it over Ron's goblet quickly, then pulled it back and shoved it into his pocket. The gesture had caught Hermione's attention.

"What was that?" she snapped at Harry.

"What?" Harry said, faking ignorance.

"What you just put into Ron's drink."

"Oh, nothing," Harry said with a shrug of the shoulder.

"That looked like the liquid luck that Professor Slughorn gave you," Hermione frantically whispered at Harry. "You know that is cheating."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry said, keeping his face completely blank.

Hermione looked back at Ron. "You're not going to drink it, are you Ron?" Hermione asked.

Ron picked up the goblet and chugged the whole thing down. "Alright Harry...let's go!"

If you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go

Last edited by Wonderstruck; 10-09-2011 at 06:50 PM.