Thread: DADA one
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #452 (permalink)
HazelStone101
Ravenclaw
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emily "Emma" Smith
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Annalise Williams
Environmental Protection
♥ ♥Cutiepie ♥ ♥The Mouse & ♥ ♥ Peace.Love.Sponge♥ ♥

SPOILER!!: Professor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxilocks View Post
Text Cut: NEWT quotes and queries

"NEWT's are exams that students sit at the end of their seventh years at Hogwarts," Sarani said in brisk tones. "NEWT-level Defense is Defense taught to sixth years and above. The question was aimed at students who have decided to pursue Defense Against the Dark Arts after their fifth years. Those of you who haven't will be able to sift through and sort your preferred subjects as you progress here at Hogwarts, learn your strengths and weaknesses and get your OWL results, and to make the choice yourselves."

The girl could not have thought, with any amount of seriousness, that a professor, least of all Sarani, would resort to a nickname. "It's good to know that you're excited to learn... Miss Opal," Sarani said, voice cool.

Children.

"No one has to take my class, Miss Shepard." Sarani's smile was not the nicest smile ever. "While I am teaching Defense, you are all free to take or drop the subject." She couldn't care less if someone decided not to show up. The less, the merrier, after all.

Foolish, little girl.

Sarani ignored her.

The DADA professor raised one perfect eyebrow. "And do you have a last name..." Kid. "Miss Isabella?"

Yes. Sarani Glass did not care what Isabella Last Name Unknown preferred to go by.

Sarani arched her left eyebrow. She hadn't even attempted to scare any of these students yet and, the way some of them were acting, one would have thought she had sentenced them all to a term in wizarding prison.

"Do you need a Calming Draught, Miss Fairfield?" She asked.

Because she felt like it. That was, at least and as far as Sarani was concerned, a better reason than having no clear sense of direction even in your last year of school, and wanting to keep your options open.

"They're quite useful, Miss Johanson." Sarani smiled just a little too sweetly.

Sarani remembered this.. kid.

"I hope you've been able to see the reason the point systems is in place yourself, Miss Oliver," she said, oh-so-sweetly.

"Like I just told Miss Shepard, Miss Bunbury," Sarani's voice was cool. "You are free not to take my class."

Do it, kid. We'd rather not teach you. Or anyone.

Did this one need a potion, too?

"Do you need a Calming Draught, Miss Swynford?" Sarani asked. How did Tate expect her to teach these kids defense? The evil creatures of the world were not going to offer them Calming Draughts.

Sarani's eyebrow rose half an inch. "Five points from Gryffindor for disruptive behaviour, Miss.." Miss Whoever. "My classroom is not the place to socialize. You are here to learn and, if you would rather socialize, you are free to leave the classroom right now and come back for detention in the evening."

Learning was serious business and Sarani did not take it lightly.

Sarani smiled. For once, it was a nice smile. "I'm glad to hear that, Prefect Erised," she said, her tone as close to approving as Sarani's tone could be, around a horde of children.

"If you haven't chosen to take NEWT-level Defense, Mr. Quimper, you are not required to answer that part of the question." Sarani gave the Slytherin a sweet smile, her "sweet" smile being anything but sweet. "I advise that, next time, you make you sure you understand the question before you decide to answer it."

Perhaps she could give this kid turnips for ears. Or pumpkins. She doubted that Tate would be pleased, though.

Her wand hand might have twitched all the same.

She felt for his girlfriend, alright.

"And you intend to do that by turning up to my class in heels?" Sarani's voice was cold. If someone could defend themselves in heels, fine and dandy. If someone turned up to learn defense in footwear he or she couldn't even walk in, however, Sarani was not going to be impressed.

"Take off those heels, Mr. Carter." If he was serious about learning defense, he'd better start acting like he was. Sarani had no place for people who did not want to learn, in her classroom.

Sarani raised an eyebrow. "That's five points from Gryffindor for disrupting my class with pointless talk. My classroom is not the place to discuss house points, Mr. Montcenaggio."

The Gryffindor prefects had, at least, managed to keep their calm - and, wonder of wonders, silence - in what could not have been the most comfortable situation for either of them.

"Five points to Gryffindor for a well-handled situation," Sarani said. There might have been a smile playing around her mouth.

Might.

"Which means you should be introducing yourself as well, instead of talking, Miss Draconis," Sarani said, tone cold. "That's another five points from Gryffindor for disrupting my class with pointless talk." She looked up, so that everyone could hear her. "This is the last time I will say this: my classroom is not the place to socialize. You are here to learn. The only discussions that I will allow in my class are discussions that promote a clearer understanding of, and grasp on, defensive magic and techniques."

She paused, before speaking again. "You are all here to learn defense against the dark arts. What are the dark arts? Is there a rigid definition? Could something be or not be a "dark" art, depending on how and why it is used? What do you understand?"

OOC: Feel free to tell what your character thinks are dark arts. Discussion is fine. Chatter is not.

Jayden raised her hand... and then proceeded to answer to the best of her ability. "I feel that the dark arts are spells that are considered to be unfriendly, or unforgivable... dark arts can also focus on dark magical beasts. I don't think that there is an actual rigid definition because sometimes it is hard to see exactly where the fine line is between friendly and dark magic...."