Thread: Staff Table
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #70 (permalink)
Cassirin

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithRodneyMckay View Post
Oh dear, had they said something wrong? Headmaster Tate was doing that talk-to-the-hand thing to hush them up. Issy hadn't meant to speak ill of the house elves - she loved them. They were always so nice and helpful to her whenever she wanted a snack, or, while she was teaching, her classroom cleaned. "Sorry, Headmaster," she said, bowing her head slightly. "As I said, I hope there is nothing wrong."

Go and check? Why yes, of course she ---Oh. Someone had beaten her to it. Isabelle watched the blonde woman she didn't know exit the hall at a quick pace. Well, they'd get answers soon with her walking that speed. Whoever she was.
Tate didn't respond right away, but the appearance of the house elves resolved the issue. Clearly their magic was working and they were still passionate about their callings. It was a fluke. He gave Issy a nod to let her know he wasn't holding the indiscretion of others against her. She hadn't spoken against the poor elves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
Kurumi nearly jumped out of her robes when the Headmaster addressed her. She certainly hadn't been expecting it considering that the man seemed to be preoccupied with...whatever he had just said a little while ago that had been poorly written and the disaster that was the table settings.

"O-O-Oatmeal?" Kurumi squeaked. Her face was one of horror. MERLIN! She had prepared a simple lemon sugar cookie with a gentle buttercream frosting for this evening. The thought of making oatmeal ones never crossed her mind. Kurumi nearly smacked her forehead. She was always making sugar cookies, or some variation of them, for the opening feast. How could she forget the oatmeal?!

End of the term feast. For sure!

"I-I-I'm afraid I did not prepare oatmeal cookies for this evening," she said with a slight frown. Still, the tone of the Headmaster was, surprisingly, light. She picked up the box and held it out for him. "B-But I will keep that in mind for next time."

She fumbled around a bit, not wanting to continue to take up too much of his time as she was sure he was running through his speech that he would be giving soon in his head.

"And...I want to thank you as well, for...allowing me to represent Gryffindor as a prefect." Truth was, Kurumi wasn't too sure that he had a hand in the decision making, but it seemed plausible that the Headmaster would have final say on the matter.
"It was a joke, Hollingberry. I take the goodies I can get." Some Gryffindors were clever as a Ravenclaw in their school work but somehow were completely lacking in the good humor or interpersonal sense that was often characteristic of their house mates.

He accepted the cookie. "You're welcome. I hope to hear good things about you in terms to come."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxilocks View Post
Sarani, who had been inspecting the nails of her left hand while the Ravenclaw stumbled over her words and attempted to explain just what she had meant, looked up at the girl once she had fallen silent. Despite her utter lack of composure, the girl looked intelligent. Which, Sarani supposed, might explain the badge pinned to her robes.

"Do you take Defense, Miss Erised?" She asked, one eyebrow arched.

Sarani raised an eyebrow. Children. She supposed Tate wouldn't be pleased if she told the girl that, as far as she, Sarani, was concerned, it wasn't allowed.

"I'd imagine that depends upon the question, Miss...?"

Yes. She would like a name. No. She did not intend to remember it.

"Don't bite them, Professor. We're trying not to put them into therapy for the rest of their lives so much as possible," Tate gave the professor a measured look.

Now that the plates and things were once again not acting as a distraction, Tate supposed the time had come for his traditional speech. He regretted doing it without Max present, but the man was late enough. He couldn't wait any longer.

With the air of the martyr, Tate rose from his seat and waited quietly for the students to fall silent. He wasn't going to shout over them, by Merlin. "Good evening, Hogwarts students and faculty," he began once the volume was acceptable. "I want to welcome you to another year at Hogwarts, another year for learning and growing, and another year for taking in as much as you can before we set you loose on the world again in 10 months."

"I apologize for the state of the Great Hall upon your entry. We've all had a busy summer, and if things weren't up to our normal level of excellence, we appreciate the fast actions of our house elves to fix the issues. I hope you will express your gratitude to them when the opportunity appears, and I'm sure we will all enjoy the wonderful dinner they've prepared when it arrives in a few moments." He gave a fixed look at that, implying that whether the students were grateful or NOT, they'd best act it in his presence. Never was a good reason to be rude to those who served.

"As those returning can see, we have a number of new faces up here at the staff table. New faces does not imply naivety, however, and I think you'll find them to be a tough yet fair group. Let's give them the respect they deserve, please. Classes will begin in a few days, and I hope you're looking forward to them." He certainly was, although that was more to the fact that classes gave the students less time to get up to trouble.

"Finally, we have a busy year planned for you, even in addition to classes and homework. I hope you'll keep your eyes on your house bulletin boards and the board in the Entrance Hall for reminders and announcements. Our top point earners from last term should expect their visit to happen in the new few days, so keep an eye out for an owl from the Ministry. And... enjoy your meal!"

He raised a hand in acknowledgment before sliding back into his seat just as the food appeared on each table in the Great Hall. Now see? That was good service.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest