Thread: Character: The Phoenix - Sa13+
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
Wonderstruck
Gryffindor

SS Featured Writer
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jeremy Bradford
Fifth Year
Default Chapter Seven: Part Three
"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."

Thanks Connie I'm glad you're enjoying it! And don't worry...that lucky potion might be coming in somewhere late

Based off the positioning of the people on the Quidditch field I could tell that Harry was talking to the group of students. From our height and with the combination of the wind it was impossible to hear what Harry was saying to them, but even I could sense that whatever he was saying was important.

After a couple of minutes the crowd broke apart, the students mounting their brooms before taking off into the air, and flying to their appropriate positions. As Ron had a shaky push to the ground I felt Hermione's hand clamp tighter around my wrist. Just a couple of seats down I felt Lavender's anxiety as well. Amongst the two of them I couldn't help but start to feel slightly nervous myself.

The first part of the tryouts centered around those auditioning for the roles as beaters. Now that Fred and George were gone, our team had quite the gap. I was pleased to find that the two boys seemed to fill the role pretty well, and had quite good control over where and when to hit the bludgers. Next came the chasers, one of which was Ginny who Hermione and I cheered for rather loudly. I wasn't too concerned though, because Ginny proved herself to be quite a weapon during the Weasley quidditch games held at the Burrow during the summer.

Harry saved the hardest part for last, and that was determining who was going to be Gryffindor's Keeper. Cormac had taken his position at his set of rings while Ron had moved to his own. During the chasers auditions Ron had been blocking the shots pretty well, but now that it was just him, Cormac, Ginny, and Dean on the pitch it was a completely different ball game.

"So Harry said that they will have three shots thrown at them by the chasers, and that whoever has the best record will get the spot," said Hermione, looking at me with a look of hope and panic.

"So, all he has to do is block three shots. Piece of cake," I said with a non chalant shrug. Hermione let out a squeaky laugh.

Down the way I could hear Lavender muttering "come on Ron" under her breath repeatedly. Luckily, Hermione was too transfixed on Ron to notice. I took a deep breath as Dean caught the quaffle from Harry and started his way down towards Cormac. Not to anyone's surprise Cormac made a rather easy save.

Next came Ginny who took a second quaffle from Harry. I watched as she flew down the pitch, not realizing that I was holding my breath. Hermione was squeezing my wrist so tightly I was beginning to lose feeling in my fingers.

"Oh God, oh God, oh God," Hermione muttered furiously under her breath.

I couldn't stop myself from exhaling loudly as Ron blocked Ginny's toss with his left foot, losing his balance on the broom slightly before regaining it. The amount of relief that flooded through Hermione and Lavender was almost too much to bear.

The same flood of relief came moments after when Ron blocked a rather difficult throw from Dean with a swat of his left hand. Unfortunately the flood of relief wasn't meant to last, because nearly at the same time both Lavender and Hermione realized that this shot would determine whether Ron made the team or not.

Hermione turned and looked at me with panicked eyes. "Abby, you know Cormac is going to win this in the long haul."

I looked at her, not wanting to say the obvious outloud. Cormac was after all a much smoother and skilled Keeper.

"It's out of our hands Hermione," I said, giving her hand a little pat with my hand that still had feeling.

We both watched Dean rushing towards Cormac, the quaffle perched and about to be released when I felt the thought rush into Hermione's hand. Before I even had the chance to say "Hermione" it was done.

"Confundus!" Hermione whispered, covering her hand with her mouth so no one would see it.

We watched as Cormac shot the opposite direction of where the quaffle went. Cormac looked down at his broom with a look of utter complexity. I hardly had time to shoot Hermione a look of disbelief before Ginny was heading down towards Ron end. We watched with mouths wide open as Ron solidly blocked Ginny's shot with the top of his head.

Hermione and I were both out of our seats and clapping, along with Lavender that had let out such a squeal of relief that several other students around us turned to look at her with concerned expressions.

So that was it...Ron was our new Keeper with two...I mean three... incredibly happy fans.

If you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go