View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lady of the Lake
Gryffindor
Billywig

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ariadne Lydia Marchbanks
Fifth Year
Superfan of: Minerva, Severus, Albus, Hermione <3 Travelling/ History geek/ TV show addict

I finally got round to see the film today and I feel the need to discuss about it.

First of all, Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman were legendary, in my opinion they totally made this film I was happy that McGonagall got more scenes than in the previous films, she deserved that. However, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have the 'Potter, that was very gallant...' and 'Horace, we duel to kill' lines, but at least that was compensated by Minerva-scenes that weren't in the books. Also, the Prince's Tale was done excellently, even the actor who played young Severus was great for the part. I cried when I saw Snape hugging Lily after she died in Godric's Hollow, it was very emotional.The Snape-McGonagall duel was impressive, and I loved Snape's speech in front of the school, Alan Rickman was amazing doing that scene! Minerva saying 'Potter, it's good to see you.' and Harry's reply, 'It's good to see you too, Professor.' were very cute.

The trio did well overall, but I think Emma was the best by far. Dan's acting was good, but not spectacular, and I believe Rupert is much like Ron in real life so it wasn't such an effort from his part. The funny moments were well spread along the action, and I loved every single one. On the other hand, seeing Hogwarts destroyed was extremely distressing, I got goosebumps ever since McGonagall said 'Hogwarts is threatened.' The Battle of Hogwarts was epic, no comment there.

One thing I didn't like was that Tonks's and Lupin's deaths were dealt with very sketchy, I didn't feel anything, whereas when reading the book I was really sad at that part. Tonks didn't even have any lines,that was downright annoying! And the way Voldemort and Bellatrix sort of explode at the end was very weird. Also, there was no need for 3D whatsoever.

But there were more things that I loved. Julie Walters nailed THE line perfectly, the R/Hr kiss was as expected, Aberforth was as I imagined him when reading the book, and the epilogue was absolutely brilliant! Although most people disliked the King's Cross scene, I was quite content with it, though I must admit Dumbledore was a bit too Gandalf-like.

Dumbledore's story was left out, which was disappointing, but I am not very upset about that since the Prince's Tale and Epilogue were done perfectly, as those were the parts I was most looking forward to. Helena Bohnam-Carter was fantastic, as usual, and I especially liked her as polyjuiced Hermione at Gringotts. Ralph Fiennes was good as well, but still, no one could compare with Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman.

Hogwarts destroyed and the epilogue made me feel melancholic, but this is by no means the end for us Potter fans. We can always re-read the books, watch the films, and now there's Pottermore to look forward to. I'm also very excited to get DH part 2 on DVD and watch my favourite scenes over and over again.

Overall, it was a great film, although maybe DH part 1 was slightly better. Nevertheless, it did the book justice and it gave a good ending to the story of our generation.