Thread: Character: The Phoenix - Sa13+
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Wonderstruck
Gryffindor

SS Featured Writer
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jeremy Bradford
Fifth Year
Default Chapter Six: Part Three
"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."

Thanks Connie

The three of us began working on our potions, each of us feeling slightly overwhelmed by how difficult the potion seemed to be. There were just so many steps and so many mini details in each of the steps that it seemed to take forever to just get through one. I figured potions was usually the quickest subject that I forgot, given that it wasn't really something that you could practice as easily as casting magic or reading a book.

I was in the process of trying to cut into a sopophorous bean that was not cooperating when I heard Hermione give an exasperated sigh.

"I just don't understand why this is so difficult," she said, leaning over her book and glaring at it, just praying that the book would somehow magically give her a solution to her problem.

"Try crushing it with the edge of your knife," suggested Harry, crushing his own bean. I watched as a river flow of juice came out of before Harry poured it into the cauldron.

"Crush it? But the book clearly states cut it," said Hermione, shooting Harry a curious look.

"I'm just saying it's easier that way."

I too was looking at Harry, who wasn't bad at potions but it certainly wasn't his strong suit. Leaning over his shoulder I glanced at the book at he was using. Scribbled in slanted writing next to the step was the suggestion to crush the bean rather than cutting it. He looked at me with a sly smile and I gave a gentle shake of the head. Deciding that it was worth doing it his way rather than struggling with my way, I began to crush the beans as well.

"And how are the potions coming along over here?" asked Professor Slughorn, leaning over my shoulder to peer into my cauldron. "Looks like you two are doing well, although Miss Granger you seem to be struggling slightly," he said, his voice trailing off at the end.

"Just a minor blip," said Hermione furiously cutting into her beans. "It'll be alright."

"Yes, well, if anyone can do it it is you!"

I looked at Professor Slughorn out of the corner of my eye. I could sense from his mood that he was up to something.

"So, Miss Carson, I heard that you had a trip to the hospital wing the other day. I certainly hope that you are alright?"

So, Slughorn was an eavesdropper. Guess I couldn't say I was surprised given that the man was willing to do anything to be associated with people he saw as star status.

"I'm alright yes," I said with a gentle smile. "I was just feeling slightly under the weather."

Hermione and Harry continued to work on their potions, but they were watching our conversation closely.

"And, if you don't mind me asking, did it have something to do with you being different?" he asked, whispering it so that the students nearby didn't hear me.

It wasn't a complete secret that I was a phoenix animagi, most knew I was, but only those closest to me really knew what it meant for me to be a phoenix animagi. What powers I possessed, what I was capable of doing. I preferred it that way. If people knew everything I could do they may be less inclined to hang around with me.

"No, it didn't," I said, keeping a completely relaxed and even face as I lied through my teeth.

"Ahh...well that's good. I just find your condition fascinating."

I stared at him for a moment, not liking his word choice of condition before I continued with my own potion. He was waiting for a response but clearly I did not have one. He was about to start speaking again when a giggled squeal distracted him.

I looked up to find Lavender Brown looking at Ron with that creepily devoted look that she gave him, despite the two never even having exchanged words. Ron had a kind of embarrassed smirk on his face as Lavender squealed with joy again.

"Is something amusing you Miss Brown?" Slughorn asked, heading over to her table.

I could feel anger steaming off of a body near me, and I didn't need to turn to know who it was. It was almost like watching the Titanic sink with Ron and Hermione. It made so much sense for the two of them to be an item, but somehow neither of them was willing to just step forward and say how they felt. I knew that Harry and I had our rough patch last year with Cho Chang and Harry, but I thought we had come over it smoothly.

"She's just disgusting," said Hermione, her frizzy hair making her look slightly like a mad woman.

"Don't worry. I doubt Ron would even consider being with someone like that," said Harry, giving Hermione's arm a little rub. I didn't have the heart to tell that two of them that right now Ron was loving the adoration that Lavender was giving him. It was the adoration that he wished he could get from Hermione. What Ron didn't know was that Hermione did have that kind of adoration for Ron...she just didn't show it that way.

The three of us continued with our potions until Slughorn called time. I leaned over and looked at mine, the color slightly more blue that the purple color that it was supposed to be. I looked over at Harry's which was the perfect color and gave him a little smile.

"Looks like you'll be taking home the prize today huh?" I said, giving him a little nudge with the shoulder.

And I was right. Harry's potion was perfect and Slughorn granted him the liquid luck much to the dismay of everyone else in the class. As we started to exit the classroom, I noticed Professor Slughorn's look, like the one little kids get when looking at new toys in a toy shop window, and I couldn't help but think that we might need it to survive this year with Professor Slughorn.

If you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go